Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any way to connect sub to stock radio??

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  gurkpimpin 
#1 ·
I didn't see a how-to about it and the car and sub in question are.. 04 Fofo Wagon se with the stock headunit with the little security strip that can be taken out and sub is a rockford fosgate p2 with sony amp and capacitor any help will be appreciated... Im such a NOOB haha

#2 ·
You will have run the blue remote wire to the fuse box and tie it in to one of the fuses that turn on with the car that way the amp powers on and off with the car and doesn't drain your battery..the RCA cables will hook onto the the amp normal but the other end will have to be cut off and spliced into the one of the back speakers I would go with the one closes to the amp..so negative on negative and positive on positive..hope that helps you should know where the rest goes and make sure to wire the sub to the mono channel + to the left + and the - to the right - and always match the wires up don't forget about the ground to the chassis and the battery cable to the + battery post.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 71shadow
#6 ·
You could also just tap into any of the fuses like mentioned earlier. Probably be alot easier since you wouldn't have to pull the radio. Just look under the dash lol. I'd get a fuse tap thing for it though. I been meaning to get one myself for my gauges' inverter for the longest time but I forget about it until I'm in the car lol

#8 ·
The best way is to get a new headunit and dump your old one. Your stock headunit will never match the performance of even most poor aftermarket headunits.

However, if you want to keep your old headunit, the best way to connect an amp for a sub is to use an LOC converter which draws the sound from both rear speakers. Some amps like my Dual have an internal LOC converter so all you need to do is run the speaker wires to the amp and don't need any RCA cables.

The remote wire can be done like has been said above.

#9 ·
Yea i already know about getting another headunit but its a until that happens.... i want just a lil bump bump i got a deal on this setup so i took it saving for head unit will be the next bit

#10 ·
Looks like i'm going to have fun installing this..
since its an auto, there should already be an accessible hole in the firewall to run the power cable thru.

get the stuff and then we should be able to hook this up in no time flat..
tapping into the back speaker will give you bass.. but won't be as clear and proper as it would using the LOC, like was mentioned by Bryan.

#13 ·
^^yeah i had sent that to him...
he's trying to find it locally to get it done today.

Thanks.
I will be the installer. lol

#14 ·
Ok. So we got it all wired up. It plays perfectly... Until we start the car, then it goes protect mode.
I'm at a loss.

#15 ·
We have checked all wiring and tried the rca tap method.

This is really pissing me off

#16 ·
Is the amp known to be a good? That's really the only idea I have unless the amp is getting a power surge on start up.

One thing you could try is to unhook the remote wire, start the car, and put the remote wire back in and see if the amp will run. That way the amp is not on when the car is being started. Just a somewhat random idea but it may be worth a shot.

#17 ·
after doing more research... i think the power wire is too small, so we are going to get some 4ga (or 8ga since its a smaller amp/sub combo) and start with that.
it plays and hits hard with the key in the acc position, just not once the car is started.
also going to try to get the loc box at the end of the week.

the amp is weird though (to me at least).. there is no external vents for it. i know its not unheard of, but all my amps have vents. lol

edit:
it has to do with the amp getting the signal from the radio..
we started the car with the radio off, the amp turned on and was good... once we turned the radio on, it put the amp back in protect mode.

and on ACC, the capacitor reads right around 12-12.5 but when the car is running its up to 14, sometimes 16

#18 ·
Try it running off a different fuse and did you tie it into a fuse

#20 ·
Tried different fuses, can't use the radio fuse since it's always hot.

I'm almost convinced it's the power wire. There it's a voltage spike once the car is running

#21 ·
My wire is the the same thickness as a speaker wire did you connect to a existing fuse or into a new fuse..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.