Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Passenger Footwell - is this normal??

15K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  cuke2u 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

First time poster. I've had my Focus for about a year now but I just noticed a weird bump in the footwell on the passenger side. I'm usually driving so I really don't pay much attention to that side. I pulled up the mat and poked at it but it seems pretty inflexible and the floor isn't wet. (Please excuse the dirty mat..)

Is this totally normal and I've just never noticed it? If not, does this seem like something serious (i.e., safety-related) that I ought to get checked out ASAP? Or is it probably just cosmetic? Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#5 ·
If you're talking about the hump in the lower left-hand corner of where the passenger-side floor mat sits, then yes, it is normal. I'm guessing it's the way the floor pan was designed, probably clearance for something. I haven't been under the car in so long that I forget what it looks like under there...

#6 ·
Mystery solved

Sorry folks, solved the mystery. I took off the fake panel and pulled down the carpet -- it looks like my remote start module is underneath. I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been there, so I'm guessing it fell out of place, but no idea where it's actually supposed to go. [confused] Does anyone have any photos of their remote start install?

#8 ·
Sorry folks, solved the mystery. I took off the fake panel and pulled down the carpet -- it looks like my remote start module is underneath. I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been there, so I'm guessing it fell out of place, but no idea where it's actually supposed to go. [confused] Does anyone have any photos of their remote start install?
I don't know anything about that but your pictures look exactly like mine before they fixed the AC vent placement.

#7 ·
Hi folks,

First time poster. I've had my Focus for about a year now but I just noticed a weird bump in the footwell on the passenger side. I'm usually driving so I really don't pay much attention to that side. I pulled up the mat and poked at it but it seems pretty inflexible and the floor isn't wet. (Please excuse the dirty mat..)

Is this totally normal and I've just never noticed it? If not, does this seem like something serious (i.e., safety-related) that I ought to get checked out ASAP? Or is it probably just cosmetic? Thanks in advance!
lilxmouse, this is not normal. The floor should be smooth all the way up to the dashboard. I had this exact same issue on my new 2013. Took it to my dealer and they said there was an AC vent underneath the carpet that was out of place. They fixed it promptly because I took them around to all the other cars on their lot and none of them had the protrusion like mine.

I just checked mine it is the same way. Do not know what it is for. There is a heater vent under the seat it may be the duct for that.
You are correct, it is an AC/heater vent but it should be smooth and not protruding. If yours is protruding, take it to your dealer and get them to install it correctly.

#11 ·
You are correct, it is an AC/heater vent but it should be smooth and not protruding. If yours is protruding, take it to your dealer and get them to install it correctly.[/QUOTE]

In the left rear corner of the passenger foot well there is and diagonal raised area. Nothing seems to be sticking out or protruding. It is just that the area is about 3/4" higher than the rest of the foot well.
Does that sound like something is out of place?

#16 ·
From your description and pictures, I can say your issue is not the same as mine was. If you run your hand over the carpet at the raised area, can you feel an object underneath? Mine is soft and squishy but flat. Not 100% flat but with the floor mat in place it's pretty much flat.

#13 ·
jdetzel, the weird bump was on the right side:

this is what it looks like with the carpet pulled back:

Not sure where it's supposed to go, but pretty sure it's not supposed to be where the passenger is going to be kicking it all the time. Suggestions? Or should I just take it back to the dealer to fix?

#18 ·
Oh ok. I still think it's not normal to have the wires protrude like that. My advice is if it bothers you (it would for me) and you have time, take it to your dealership and show them the issue. It could be that some wires were moved around and all they have to do is secure them back in their proper place.

#19 ·
Hi folks,

First time poster. I've had my Focus for about a year now but I just noticed a weird bump in the footwell on the passenger side. I'm usually driving so I really don't pay much attention to that side. I pulled up the mat and poked at it but it seems pretty inflexible and the floor isn't wet...
I just checked mine it is the same way. Do not know what it is for. There is a heater vent under the seat it may be the duct for that.
Hi lilxmouse and jdetzel,

Swing by your dealerships so they can have a look or inquire about this the next time you have an oil change. A Ford tech will be your best bet for getting answers and resolving your concerns.

If you're talking about the hump in the lower left-hand corner of where the passenger-side floor mat sits, then yes, it is normal. I'm guessing it's the way the floor pan was designed, probably clearance for something. I haven't been under the car in so long that I forget what it looks like under there...
Oh ok. I still think it's not normal to have the wires protrude like that. My advice is if it bothers you (it would for me) and you have time, take it to your dealership and show them the issue. It could be that some wires were moved around and all they have to do is secure them back in their proper place.
Thanks for offering up great advice and suggestions, BaconZombie and dragonpalm!

Have a great day,
Crystal

#20 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.