Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo Installation Advice?

5K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Eastwood 
#1 ·
Guys I need some general installation help for a turbo install. I wanna stay low with the boost for now because I'm sticking with stock block (5-10 PSI) I most likely would be using a universal kit off Ebay as well...First couple questions:

1. EGR block/stop?
2. Battery relocation?
3. MAF relocation?
4. Thermostat replacement?
5. New oil pan?
6. Injector upgrade?
7. Down pipe bracket?
8. Coil pack modification?
9. Power steering cooler lines?
10. ECU chips and misc. electronics hook-ups to ECU?

Email: pacdesigns03@aol.com

#4 ·
1. EGR block/stop?
**Delete and turn off in tune

2. Battery relocation?
**No need to

3. MAF relocation?
** Move the MAF to a 3 inch blothrough piping

4. Thermostat replacement?
** 180 out of a 96 Contour 2.0 Zetec

5. New oil pan?
**Use your pan and weld in a Bung
6. Injector upgrade?
** 42lb will get you by , 60 will give you room to grow for about the same cost as 42lb

7. Down pipe bracket?
** All depends on your down pipe

8. Coil pack modification?
**Stock coil is fine

9. Power steering cooler lines?
** moves easy at the bumper and at the engine leave it there

10. ECU chips and misc. electronics hook-ups to ECU?
**SCT XCAL and I can do your custom tuning

I also have to agree buy a good kit of my DIY and work with good parts from the start

Tom

#7 ·
FSWerks: no BOV, no fuel pressure gauges or regulator, no manifold, no dump pipe, no oil feeds lines(maybe it doesn't need them because it's a hybrid turbo?), no turbo timer, no turbo boost controller, no catch tank, and no boost or oil pressure gauges

Please tell me how I can justify a kit without these parts? Do I not need these parts?

#9 ·
FSWerks: , no fuel pressure gauges or regulator, no manifold, no dump pipe, no oil feeds lines(maybe it doesn't need them because it's a hybrid turbo?), no turbo timer, no turbo boost controller, no catch tank, and no boost or oil pressure gauges

Please tell me how I can justify a kit without these parts? Do I not need these parts?
I'm not sure what you're looking at but the kit from fswerks seems pretty complete to me.

I think you're confused on what you need here. The Bosch Diverter Valve is what the non ricers call a "BOV". Most turbo kits don't come with gauges, those you purchase separately. It appears by the pictures they have an adapter to use the stock exhaust manifold. The phrase "dump pipe" is typically used for the pipe that routes the external waste-gated exhaust gas. Since this is an internally waste-gated turbo, no need. Every turbo needs an oil feed, and if you look at the picture, it shows both oil/coolant lines. It as states "Water line kit" in the description. Since the turbo is water cooled as well, there is no need for a turbo timer. I don't see a boost controller so I'm guessing they intend for you to run spring pressure. However boost controllers are cheap. Is a "catch tank" suppose to mean an oil catch can? If so, also not a typical part you see in a turbo kit. For your last point, once again, gauges typically don't come in turbo kits. All they would do is jack up the price of the kit and force you to buy a certain gauge.

I also see an EGR block off plate in the picture as well.

Source:

● Garrett GT28 turbo with custom modifications
● Garrett GT28R, GT28RS and GT2871R (Optional)
● Internal wastegate actuator
● Stainless steel downpipe with o2 sensor fittings
● Powder coated plumbing with bead rolled ends
● 3 and 4 ply silicone connecting hoses
● Stainless steel hose clamps
● 42lb. Bosch fuel injectors
● Water line kit
● Bosch Diverter Valve
● Custom MAF housing
● ITG Maxogen air filter
● FSWERKS / SCT X3 ECU flasher
● Custom FSWERKS ECU programming
● Free dyno tuning session - call for details
● Front mount intercooler

For $3,295, I think this is a pretty damn good deal.

#13 ·
this kit right here.....

is...

worthless..... if you want headaches and have it blow up.. then hey record it so we can laugh... not trying to be a dick... even tho some refer me as dick #1, dont waste your money... save it... do it right..one time...

#15 ·
Get the FSW kit and call it. Unless you want to do more research and make your own kit. I would stay away from Ebay. You really should buy quality parts. With doing that, you are going to have to drop the paper down.

The only must have thing you will need for the FSW kit is a wideband o2 sensor.

#20 ·
How many of you guys who knock eBay turbos have actually used them? To be honest, I've heard mor stories of improper tuning leading to blown motors and poorly ran oil lines than blown turbos from poor quality. I'm not saying go buy these Chinese brands but you might as well IF you running a car without the correct engine management. But at least your being smart about it and getting a tune. It's just annoying when people automatically assume that's if it's from eBay, it's going to blow up. This statement only have true and I will admit its a a huge gamble and risk I'm not willing to take.

#21 ·
I think its less about it being from ebay and more about everything in the kit being no name knock off stuff. Its easy to see why that kit is cheaper, so however you want to put it, it is a risk. Possibly a very expensive risk. If it was a kit that was built with quality parts but still a DIY kit, i doubt many would make fun but probably just reiterate the need for proper tuning. But this kit, stinks of disaster.

#23 ·
Which kit is better in everybodies opinion? Focus Sport or Top Speed? I think both are very similar in pricing and quality. The top speed has a manifold which is better than stock, but the focus sport has a better water cooled turbo...I'm torn guys, help me out!

#37 ·
Or get a cheap stock one from a junk har or I'm sure someone on here would give one away to you very easy to come by. I actually just threw one out last month lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.