Focus Fanatics Forum banner

cold air intake help

10K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  drwiggapeterson 
#1 ·
Cold Air Intake(s) - Help me make up my mind.

So... I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering this: http://www.amazon.com/69-3517TS-Performance-Intake-Kit/dp/B00861C6LQ/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

However, I'm always open to suggestions, feedback, voices of reason, and better prices... this will be my first mod on my Focus, hoping to get the ball rolling on more this upcoming summer.

I realize there have been lots of discussions on CAI's, but I really don't have the time to find them all. I've been on this website reading thread after thread about CAI's and Exhausts for 3+ hours this early morning already...

Anyways, I would appreciate anything that you all have to chip in with. Assuming it's productive. Thanks!

#2 ·
Ill give you my opinion. I am all for tweaking this and that giving more hp to my vehicle with the added bonus mpg as well, and also i am concerned about my investment in my transportation needs, a ford dealer told me a cai wont void anything "unless they can find fault" which your intake is lungs of your engine and they could find fault with it in any casr allmost if they wanted too. So cai is in the works enventually for me just after i hit the 60,000 km mark, and my first upgrade will be a cat-back exhaust, because anything behind the second cat wont void anything. Food for thought possibly or you dont mind voiding the warranty up to you.

#4 ·
Reading a lot of the threads, I was under the impression that it'd be highly unlikely for a CAI to void the warranty. Obviously, I'm all for protecting my investment as well... So would like to hear other opinions on this too. I've been considering upgrading the exhaust as well, but was leaning towards CAI due to the performance and gas increases... Can only afford 1 upgrade before the wedding in May, haha.

Edit: Yeah, it is a good price. Looked around everywhere for the same model, and that was by far the best price. It's amazon.com - but my fiancee is American, so I just have everything ship there.

#5 ·
The dealership by me basically told me that anything I alter on the car that did not come with it from the factory can void the manufactures warranty (whether its problem or not). The dealership themselves who has the extended warranty also told me they will not void my warranty unless the part is the problem which they said they would gladly replace back to stock if needed but as we all know it's going to cost an arm and a leg. Lol.

That went for both my daily and my st3 model. They also said that if they install the part they would make sure it properly worked before releasing the vehicle to me.

The dealership I showed the fswerks short ram and the tech told me that would be an acceptable modification becuase it does not alter the location of the intake.

#6 ·
Not sure if you ordered or not, but there's a few of us on the forums that have this intake. Personally I love mine. Sound is nice. Little bit of extra power (and it is noticeable). Quiet at highway speeds. Doesn't affect gas mileage. Anways, worth the money in my mind.

#10 ·
I hear that. Saving up for a wedding ring myself. I told my GF she's keeping me from buying a catback - she gave me this look [facepalm].

It won't have any effect on the warranty. The dealership is required to prove that the intake was the issue should anything go wrong. Again, I've had mine for about 6 months now and haven't had a single problem.

#9 ·
i don't know about Canada but here in the states Yes you can legally modify your vehicle, as long as the modification does NOT cause the failure and can be proven without a doubt by the stealership that it caused the issue.

#11 ·
Cai decissions

I have been reading all the threads regarding cai's for the 2013. After reading the issues with the k&n( well more with the maf housing) I thought I would go steeda due to the included maf housing. But I like the smooth pipe that goes from the filter to the throttle body in the k&n kit. Right now I am thinking of getting a steeda an using some left over boost pipe and couplers from an old project to eliminate the crinkle pipe. Why did iceman have to stop making cai's lol. Also has anyone added an extreme flow filter that has filter elimant on the end of the filter as well to their cai for added airflow? [popcorn]

#12 ·
I have been looking at the Steeda and the AEM unit. Both have smooth tubing all the way to the intake.
The AEM web site says to not use it during inclement weather. I am trying to figure out if that is a hard and fast rule due to the placement of the breather filter or if I can still install it and just say "screw it". I don't see how any water can get into the system unless it gets wicked up from a wet breather filter. Would that be dangerous to the engine?

The AEM and a New Mission mod are the only real CAI. The others are SRI's.

#13 ·
The Steeda unit is a high quality piece with great gains ... the Cold Air Intake seals against the hood to keep unwanted hot air out. We designed, engineered and manufactured it this way.

http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/steeda-2012-and-up-focus-cold-air-intake/

Combined with custom tuning ... it will give you even more than the Dyno proven additional 12 horsepower.

Our CAI for the focus takes in air from the factory location, so it is no more prone to water getting to it than the factory airbox.

The same restrictions that the factory uses for "water crossings" will apply to our CAI.

Send me an email to tim @ steeda.com if I can help provide ordering support or answer any question via email?

Best Regards,

TJ

#15 ·
Well after spending 3 days attempting to contact steeda.ca as per Tims recomendation where I am in nb canada. They have not answered the phone nor will their website load the focus parts to view. Anyone else know where I can purchase a steeda cai?

#16 ·
When I bought mine, I just called them and gave them the part number that I found off of steeda.com.

You can go to the U.S. website to view it but the website at steeda.ca is rather useless to view and order the Focus parts online.

Overall though, I am very happy with the product but their website is lacking.

#19 ·
i have a K&N CAI and it works great the only issue i had was idle jumping but i got that fixed and it was do to a bad extension wire for the MAF sensor that they sent me since my stock one was just short and i ended up having to stretch my stock one a little bit. But im new to this so some of the more experienced guys and gals will be able to tell you more from their experience.

Good luck [thumb]

#23 ·
looking to buy a intake for my 2012 focus se hatch have been looking at a lot of them and dont really know wich one is better looking for some help

#25 ·
I like steeda and Roush.

If your are concerned with warranty issues go with Roush

Steeda is my favorite but it replaces the sensors housing with a larger diameter tube a larger 4"x7" airfilter and it completely replaces the airbox.

The roush intake will not casue a problem at the dealer because it keeps factory air flow housing setup. It replaces the airbox lid and gives a high flow filter

#26 ·
I personally went with K&N, because i love them, i use them for all my bikes and cars. Just my personal preference. It gives the engine a really nice rumble, like a focus st, i had headers and a 2" custom straight pipe no cat exhaust put in, before all i could hear was the exhaust, but now the engine is louder than the exhaust itself, if you don't mind the sound its a great way to go, but i have no knowledge of the others, because we don't get them over here in Thailand. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.