Focus Fanatics Forum banner

common problems with the Duratec?

63K views 93 replies 48 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
ok guys im buying a new car for the GF. i have a zetec and don't pay atention to d-tecs. could you please tell me some common problems?

also it is an 06 se with 63k miles and a 5 speed! for 8k. good deal?

#2 ·
only problem i've had with mine were the heat shields starting to fall off but the dealer put them back on for free and other than that I havent had any major issues(74k miles) since it was kept up well with oil changes every few thousand. I also know they last a long time so I would say its a pretty good deal as long as it looks in good condition and had its oil changes.

#8 ·
I've had no prob with mine. I bought my ses 2 years ago with only 40k miles and only paid $6900. I got a smoking deal though. It had sat on the dealers lot for a long time and not sold because everyone wanted an auto. They were originally asking $10,900 for it. They just kept dropping the price and I just happened to hit a deer and totaled my 03 pzev. So I paid 5000 down on it with the insurance money and bought it.

#9 ·
^^^ wow amazing deal they are selling a st salvage in so cal for $4k I think all stock with 100k miles in craigs list looks very clean, but idk if you wana do the drive down here, lol cuz 8k idk I wouldn't .

#14 ·
You never know!

You never know, she might= ST & be faster than you! You saying that can happen. How 'bout you stepping up to the ST & give her your car/ Just a thought, you probably already did, huh! Or if your the Zetec kind of guy= Can you say SVT!

#15 ·
The only common problems I've heard of are the ticking from the variable intake runner. Other then that everything else is just maintenance. The thermostat and pcv are fairly difficult to reach.

#19 ·
40K on my 08 and I run her HARD, and no issues.

#20 ·
I've put 43K on mine in only 15 months, runs great. only had one issue with a bad TB, but it was fixed under warranty. Id go for an ST in a heart beat.

#23 ·
Hit 72k today on my 07' se. Had to change 1 tail light bulb about a year and a half after I got it new. And had to change the alternator at about 60k.

#26 ·
I will agree with the handling part on my 05,but I wouldn't call it slow. I do have the 5 speed manual tranny,maybe that is the difference,but my car isn't a slouch by any means. It isn't going to be a mustang,but it will hang with most cars in it's class and beat a lot of them. I bought it for fuel mileage,but the car is surprisingly fun to drive. The only mod I have done is the steeda SRI to get rid of the crap lifetime air filter.

#28 ·
Ill bet i know where its leaking.

When i took my intake off i took the 2 bolts out of the tank that holds the power steering fluid and pulled it out of the power steering pump. It leaked out all over the drive.

I noticed there are 2 o-rings on the nipple that fits into the power steering pump. I would bet thats where its leaking.

Figure out a way to suck all the fluid thats in it now out. Then pull the 2 bolts and slip the nipple out of the pump. Replace those o-ring and clean the hole on the pump before you put the nipple back in.

#31 ·
I have had many issues with my 07 d-tec. First major issue was the auto trans went out 3 times due to overheating. But the trans has been swapped out to a manual and done properly. No rigging things to make it work. Second is at 56k my cylinder head decided to spit out the spark plug from #1 cylinder. Got that fixed. Third is now the butterfly flaps inside each runner are all [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up. If they break anytime soon they will get sucked through the head and down into the block then it will eventually blow the bottom end. Fourth is I have some weird ass sound coming from the head. I believe the valves are [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up and get stuck sometimes. I think this because when it happens my exhaust sounds like a damn sti. But for those butterfly flaps it is a known issue but Ford just won't recognize the problem. The Mazda 3 shares the same intake manifold and they had the same issue and they put a tsb and recall out for it. Ford just wants to make more money off us. They want me to replace the whole manifold assembly for $208 which is stupid because euro 1 supply has the replacement flaps for $111 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.