Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sway bar link woes

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
So, last year in September, I was excited to finally get rid of the clunk in my front suspension. It turns out that the culprit was the sway bar links. So I replaced both with the site favorite, Moog brand. Wow what a difference. The car handled better. It was quiet. I was happy.

Until last month. I started getting a clunk again from the passenger side. I didn't even look at the sway bar link, since I knew it wasn't that old. Well, it took a while, but I found the noise... the sway bar link. No problem. I had my receipt, and had it warrantied out. Put the new one in, and life was good again. About 2 weeks later I start getting a clunk from the drivers side. I check the link and of course its bad. My brother (a Dodge mechanic) said I should have replaced them both at the same time. Ok. But I didn't. My bad. Tried to warranty the second one, but lost my receipt. I shell out another $35, install the part, and life with the Focus is good again. That was last weekend. On Wednesday, the drivers side is clunking again. Are you Freakin kidding me? I'm too pissed to look at the moment, but willing to bet its the 1 week old drivers side sway bar link.

I will be looking this weekend to see what the problem is.

To be continued...

See less See more
#4 ·
Tried to warranty the second one, but lost my receipt. I shell out another $35, install the part, and life with the Focus is good again. That was last weekend.
What brand endlinks are you using? Moog's are well made and only cost $22 from amazon (link.) Just make sure you grease them every once in a while. You shouldnt be going through enlinks that fast unless something else is wrong though. Along with what iminhell mentioned, also check that your sway bar is centered.

I've also havent read about anyone destroying a set of Massive endlinks yet. If you have changed your ride height ever, those will let you dial in perfect fitment.

#5 ·
Moved to the new "brakes, suspension & chassis" area for ya!

BTW - Attachment bolts getting loose happens fairly often when links replaced, had one new one do that to me. Some add lock washers or switch to nylock nuts depending on what hdwe. came with the new ones...

Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.