Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New Predator tune from Tom in the SVT! (I think!)

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Phacade 
#1 ·
...had a HELL of a time trying to install it! While trying to back up the original, it would always stop at various percentages.
Took 4 hours and probably 15 attempts, but it finally backed it up...only to fail on the write/flash!
So started over...finally got it to flash...
Go for a drive, and...nothing. No change...can't feel/hear any difference what so ever!
Tom is certain the tune didn't 'take'...
Mike from Diablo says if the flash reads that the tune is installed, it's installed...and that's what it tells me.

I reflashed it since, and tested again...no change.

BTW, pulled #46 fuse (ABS) whilke flashing...reliable now.

The only conclusion I can come up with is, maybe Tom accidently loaded a stock tune? Or forgot to load a tune altogether?
The file on the Predator is simply called 'Predator Performance Tune'...
Is that the stock tune from Diablo maybe?? Or does Tom overwrite this file with his own?

Tom is unavailable at the moment...been trying to get ahold of him...
:(

See less See more
#2 ·
Turns out, what with my push button starter, the first few attempt to flash the car were WITHOUT the key in the cylinder (PATS), as I'm able to fire up the ACC/IGN without the key by holding down my start button for 2 seconds...
After talking with Tom, and Tom talking with Mike at Diablo, it would seem this keyless process most likely wiped Tom's tune from the flasher!!
Thank God Tom is here to help, else I'd be stuck with the crappy Predator/SVT tune!

#4 ·
All fixed! Tom was able to email me my tune..I uploaded it to the Predator and flashed the car...
And your right, 'Custom tune' is the one!
Right away I noticed the higher idle and smoother shifting. Took 'er out on the highway for some WOT, 7200rpm pulls...maybe not quite as impresive, but likely due to the fact that the power delivery has been smoothed out...

In all honesty, if I had to spend that kinda money on a mod again ($500 CDN after buying cables/adapters), it likely wouldn't be for a tune...

Then again, it'll probably take the ECU a few cycles to 'settle in'...I'll report back any changes...

#6 ·
Yeah, I admit the first few attempts were without the key...but the 15 or so subsequent attempts were WITH the key in the car.
When I started talking with Mike at Diablo, it was LONG after I started attempting flashing with the key in the car. I figured it was a no-issue at that point, considering it didn't make any difference if the key was in or not with regards to the backing-up...it's was failing every time. I still think it was blind luck that it actually made it thru 100% when it did.

This was my first experience with a flasher...whether the keyless flashing [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up the Predator for the later attempts with the key, I honestly doubt it...but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Once, however, I finally got the backup in the Predator, flashing was a piece of cake...Mike did recommend pulling the ABS fuse as well, which I did.

My alarm doesn't use a PATS bypass or anything either...as far as the car is concerned, the key is still needed for starting.

I never pointed blame to you Tom, or the tune...Mike only assumed that you might of accidently uploaded a stock tune, or forgot the tune altogether. You told me that when the Predator has a bad flash, it removes the custom tune and defaults back to the Diablo tune, which is what I initially flashed...
I can accept that, no problems...
You were there to 'right the ship' and get your tune back into my car, and it's much appreciated!
I'm pretty sure now though, I'm never going to restore the original tune back in the car, for fear of the backing-up going mental again!

Also, while out driving today, the car feels even smoother...and not just the shifting. Steady state throttle, tip-in, decelleration and acceleration are BUTTERY smooth...it's almost like I have an electric motor under the hood! No hiccups, surges, stutters or burps...
Thanks again Tom!!

#13 ·
Hey Tom...The car is a little peculiar on cold start/hot restart...
It fires up and revs a little higher than before (which was pretty high), and then settles down some...but stays around 1500 rpm for awhile...
On hot restart, it rev's up like cold, but not as high, and hangs for awhile too...
Is there any way to adjust this?

I also got a CEL today...I'l have to look it up.

I've also notice gas mileage is worse than before, but it's early. I've also been driving it harder ;)
Going for a long trip this weekend...I'll report back on mileage after...

Thanks!

#15 ·
I was asking Tom about his tune back at FocusFest as well. I really should have tried it out while I was there...and I probably will next year too. Just bought my wife an '08 SES, so it'll have to wait a bit now. Pity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.