Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stereo questions

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  HoneyBadger 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I am new here. Unfortunately I am not the proud owner of a Focus yet but I hope to be in the coming week.

I have a quick question concerning the stereo for any fanatics out there that have experience. Currently I drive a 2008 Dodge Avenger, I have a Mygig head unit (factory) installed with an Alpine Type R and a Pyle 2k watt amp. Firstly I know the amp is cheap but it was lying around in our basement unopened for a year so I claimed it rather than buying one [hihi] I did my research and purchased a line out converter so I had RCA jacks but from the reading I have been doing that is not the best route to go as far as sound is concerned, does anybody have experience with any better alternatives? I am looking at having the Sync/MyFord setup and would rather not replace the head unit since I kind of like it, does anybody have knowledge as far as how hard it would be to add something to the stock head unit to successfully run the amplifier? I know nothing of the MyFord system as far as wiring and such goes. I have my fingers crossed somebody here will be of great assistance!

If I can get a few answers as far as what needs to be done to reach my goal I will start ordering parts so they are here when I pick the car up! It looks like a great community here, I hope I am going to stay awhile. Thanks ahead of time for anybody that can help me out!

See less See more
#2 ·
I added subs and amp in my 2012 focus. I used the converter on my rear speakers by taking out the seal molding along the bottom of the rear door opening and tapped into the rear speakers then ran a ground wire inside the trunk and the power wire through the firewall to the battery... the remote wire was ran to the fuse box under the glove compartment and used an add a circuit that had a wire tap and tapped into something that turned on with the key

#3 ·
Woah, a reply! I forgot about this thread, if not for email I wouldnt have known I got a reply at all! :p

I have been doing as much research as I can since picking my Focus up and it seems everybody is going with the LCQ-1 loc and taps into the rear speaker wires as you said. I think I am probably going to go this route myself once I have the extra funds for it. The amp is my next issue, I want something that will fit in the same location as the stock amp that comes with the 10 speaker Sony system so I dont have to worry about taking up hatch space.

#5 ·
Mine has the six speaker system. I would have gone with the four but this is what the dealer had with everything else I wanted in the car. I would like to eventually upgrade all the door speakers with Polk, add a loc with an amp and a shallow mount sub. My last car had my experimental stereo system, this time I want something that sounds good but isn't to overpowering. Still trying to figure out the head unit. I would like to add a touch screen HU but retain the sync/usb/aux port in the console. This car is turning into a pain when it comes to a nice stereo!!

#7 ·
I would like to add the stock MFT to mine but I havent found 1) anywhere to pick up the unit 2) found any information on whether or not the swap is possible since the car didnt come with it. I know a lot of people hate it but I personally kind of like it. I have strolled upon the direct swap eBay units just as everybody else but they dont say anything about being compatible with Sirius, and thats something I am not willing to give up! [rolleyes]

#10 ·
Before purchasing a Focus I had full intentions to go with a Mustang, the radio bezel I found looked fairly good but it wasnt Metra. I saw the Metra and immediately decided it would never go in my car, had to find an alternative!

I havent had the chance to see one in person, but everybody here on the forum says they are cheap and do not look good, all the more reason not to bother with them. I want something that looks OE, the Chinese eBay units looks like the only to achieve that without going all out and adding MFT, but they dont say anything about being compatible with Sirius so I am stuck at a brick wall there, to. [?|]

#16 ·
Are you talking about having a stock aftermarket head unit?

My thoughts were to tap into the wires on the 8 inch sub, to connect to my amp. The amp would have a wire directly for power from the battery. The little blue wire (Tells the amp when the car is on), could be connected in the fuse panel in the back. When I say connect I am talking about adding a second fuse to the one. I just don't know if any of them turns on with the car or not. I will need to get a diagram for it.

#21 ·
If your car has a factory amp you shoud be able to tie into to it to run the new one you should run bigger pos wire from bat an ground but for signal in place of rca the factory may use wireing that you could connect an use the high input on you amp looks like lil sqa plug with sspeaker wire in place of rca an should be able to use remot lead off of factory amp to . just a thought mine had no sync an other stuff so all factory junk in mine is gone .

#22 ·
First I gotta is huh?

Second, Actually it looks pretty simple. The hardest part is just running the power cable from front to back. I did this type of install on a older ford Taurus that had a stock sub woofer. I just tapped into the sub woofer's wires. I am keeping everything else stock just need that extra bass. Fyi my amp has the LOC built into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.