Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Wid(er) tires for 15 inch wheels

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Saabafoo 
#1 ·
Hey FF,

I'm looking for wider than stock tires for 15 wheels as the title says. I would like 225's, if they fit in the wheel-well. I am currently on stock suspension, but am going to get a drop in the future, hopefully sooner than later. The tires would be for 15x7 OZ Ultraleggeras.

I found 225/45/15, but am slightly worried that the decreased sidewall height would look goofy, especially at stock ride height. I have only found summer tires in this size though.

At 225/50/15 (pretty close to stock diameter) there is only Kumho AST's and some summer Toyos.

How low of temperature will Summer tires work before it's bad to use them?

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
Summer tires start getting noticeably harder at 50 degrees or so. At 40 degrees they can loose traction fairly easily on dry pavement (acceleration and especially braking). Below freezing they're very hard and very slick. Preventing tire lock up under heavy braking becomes a serious concern/challenge. Traction in wet conditions (not even considering ice or snow effects) is almost non existent when the tread compounds get that hard.

#4 ·
a 225 tire on a 42mm offset wheel may rub the fender a little.
I used to autox on 225 tires on a 15x7 45mm offset wheel and got a little rub. not bad, but enough to take the paint off the inner lip. and your tires would stick out 3mm more.

#7 ·
What suspension setup did you have?

That's part of the formula, but tire height, tire width and wheel width and offset are just as important as ride height.
Thanks Gentlemen. So since the 225/45/15 (23.0 in dia) are a shorter height tire than the stock 195/60/15 (24.2 in dia), would that prevent (or at least decrease) the rubbing mentioned even though they would be on a 42mm offset wheel?

#8 ·
stock wheels, 2" drop and 225/55R15's I wouldn't suggest these on the stock 6" or 6.5" wheels. Sidewalls were a little too squished.

#10 ·
I have 912's on my Miata and really like them on dry pavement (ok in the rain). They have a slighty softer sidewall than the 512's but still offer good lateral grip, predicable breakaway, excellent stopping and decent ride quality. They are, however, terrible on ice and snow and are truly a three season tire, not an all season one. The 912's wear better than the 512's.

#14 ·
They're similar in the front. HR is stiffer in the rear just because it's linear, not progressive like the KW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.