Request help here (Tutorials, etc)... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Request help here (Tutorials, etc)...

There are a few ppl on this forum, but with this post, i believe that number could grow.

To achieve this, i thought i'd start a help request thread.

You can request entire tutorials, you can ask for help on a specific step of a tutorial you find online, etc.

Please feel free to leave comments also.

Hope the number of members will grow.

Take care everyone, and have fun Photoshopping!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
NY's Most Wanted

here's one site that i recommend but it isn't car-chopping related. It's still very good.

www.thewebmachine.com

the site caters to every Adobe product, from Photoshop and Illustrator to Combo and GoLive.

If you have any questions regarding any of the tutorials, feel free to ask them here.

** EDIT: I just visited the WebMachine and he has a new tutorial for Photoshop, called BLOODSPLAT. that's just one of several dozen tutorials, ranging from iMac style pills to chains, heat vision to nuts, boltz and screws. it's worth a look.

i used to know of a website that dealt with photochopping cars, but at press time the website "could not be found." oh well. i'll tell you how on a want to know basis.

Take care. **End EDIT

Last edited by gthang; 01-22-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
NY's Most Wanted

TUTORIAL #1: B&W with Color

OK, Here's Tutorial One. How to Create B&W Images with Color...

Lil PZEV was wondering how to do this. So i thought about it and decided to help everyone by doing a tutorial on it.

Of course, this requires the latest edition of Photoshop (Which is really expensive IMO) and some knowledge of navigating the program. Since i'm more talented and knowledgeable about PS, i try not to brag too much.

OK Here's what you need. You need a steady hand, and maybe a touch of patience.

STEP 1: Choose the image you wish to modify. (Obviously)

STEP 2: In the Toolbox (click Window > Tools if it's not visible), select the Lasso tool show below. In order to select this tool, click and hold the mouse button over the black trianle at the bottom of the button. Select the Polygonal Lasso.

STEP 3: You can still zoom in with your lasso tool currently active by holding CTRL and SPACE. The cursor will change to a magnifying glass. Zoom in enough so that you can select as close to the outline of the car as possible, in order to prevent the surrounding scenery from being in color. Once you've zoomed in enough, release the CTRL and SPACE keys.

STEP 4: Select the entire car. The polygonal lasso will allow you to follow the curves of the car precisely. When you are done, invert the selection by hitting SHIFT + CTRL + I. The "marching ants" will change, indicating the inversion worked.

STEP 5: This is the solution to LIL PZEV's color problem. She had changed the color mode to Grayscale, using Image > Mode > Grayscale. However, this is not the right choice. The Mode sub-menu changes the entire picture, and everything that get pasted onto the image. The correct way is to go to Image > Adjustments > Channel Mixer. When the dialog appears, at the bottom of the window is a checkbox marked "Monochrome". Make sure the checkbox is Checked, and click OK.

STEP 6: If the image looks anything like the sample below, you've successfully completed Tutorial 1. If not, go back and see if you made any mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes...

Hope you learned something new.

Attachment: This is the Polygonal Lasso Tool:
Attached Images

Last edited by gthang; 01-22-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
NY's Most Wanted

the sample to Tutorial #1: Unmodified version (to learn from):
Attached Thumbnails
Request help here (Tutorials, etc)...-f9e07666.jpg  

Old 01-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
NY's Most Wanted

The end result should look something like this:

somewhere near the bottom of page 1:
Quick Photoshop

sorry, the image i wanted to attach here was already attached to another thread.

Any questions or tutorial requests, post here...
Old 02-08-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1194
What I Drive: '02 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Red Baron Good Standing Member
Awesome tutorial man, thanks for the help. How do I change the color of my Car from Red to Blue or something like that, is it like the same thing?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
NY's Most Wanted

OK I'll get working on a tutorial soon!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 389
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jinkeez Good Standing Member
Just for the sake of completeness, here's the alternate method I've used to color B&W photos. This is just the way I'm used to doing it, and doesn't seem to be any better except that it might be a little quicker if you have a steady hand and don't want to use the lasso tool. Just rememer to color small areas at a time so you can use the Step Backward tool if you make a mistake:

1. Open the image you want to edit.

2. Go to Select>All.

3. Go to Edit>Define Pattern. Name the pattern whatever you'd like.

4. Go to Select>Deselect.

5. Go to Image>Adjustments>Desaturate. At this point, you'll have a B&W image.

6. Choose the Pattern Stamp tool (If you can't find it, hold the LMB down over the Clone Stamp tool and you can toggle between them). Select the pattern you just created as the one you'd like to use.

7. Select 100% opacity (or less, if you want a little less color), a brush size, and color in the areas that you want to be in color. Easy-peasy.

Original:

Edited:

Old 02-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
NY's Most Wanted

Huh, very nice, again, Jinkeez' tutorial is an alternative in case you don't want to spend the time using the lasso tool. So you can use either one.

Like Jinkeez did, you too can submit tutorials to this thread.

Good luck with the images!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #10
NY's Most Wanted

Tutorial #2: Changing Car Color

Tutorial Two. Change Car Color...

This is somewhat similar to tutorial one; however, the only car parts that are not selected are the wheels, any black trim, windows, headlights, taillights, grills, and anything else that aren't supposed to change color.

There are two methods. The first is a relatively quick brushing of a color on a new layer that has its opacity dropped considerably. The opacity option is found on the Layers palette (Window > Layers). I recommend an opacity in the 50% range.

The second method uses the Hue & Saturation option (Image > Adjustments > Hue & Saturation). There's a check box near the bottom-right of the dialog called "Colorize". Make sure there's a check in the box, and drag the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness sliders to achieve the desired color.

For stylish color-changing "Chamleon" effects, you can use the Curves option that's also found in the Image > Adjustments menu. Drag the tiny boxes on the graph to desired positions. Make a sine wave, a section of mountains, whatever. You can also change the color spectrum using the drop-down list above the graph.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

As with the first tutorial, you must use the lasso tool to select the car. After selecting the whole car without the wheels, you should change to the deselect mode (Window > Options) and click the third button from the left. To find it easier, here's the directions: There's a drop-down list on the Options bar for the tool presets. to the right of the presets list are 4 selection mode buttons. The first button is regular selection (clicking clears any "marching ants"); the second is an Add To Selection button. The third is the Subtract From Selection (this is the one). The fourth is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

Hope this helps you!

-----End of Tutorial Two

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.