New Camera - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57839
What I Drive: 2008 Red SE coupe, 01 F150 4WD SC

Points 230, Level 4
Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 BnzRed1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Camera

Ready to jump to DSLR, I have a 1500.00 budget any suggestions? First thought was to go Canon or Nikon but my camera guy is really pushing the Sony A55V alot of bang for the buck on the Sony. Help me decide!

"Less is More"...." Just because they make it doesn't mean it looks good or belongs on your car!" ........... 2009 FocusFest-1st place-"BestModified", 2011 FocusFest -1st place-"Best in Class"..2012 TFR "Best Modified"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 37,688, Level 100
Points: 37,688, Level: 100 Points: 37,688, Level: 100 Points: 37,688, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's a nice budget. I say look for a good use items.

Seriously, you can find alot of great photo equipment used. Especially lenses ... where it's all at.

Once you find which of these 3 to go with ... I would look at prices for these lenses:
- 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 (Fixed Lens)
- 85 1.4 or 1.8 (Fixed Lens)
- 17-55mm 2.8 (Fixed Aperture)
- 70-200 2.8 (Fixed Aperture)

Those right there would put you up real good.

Now I would recommend you buy the 50mm 1.4/1.8 with a fairly good low-light body and you should be good to go.

Being that I am a Nikon fan - I say go with either a used D90 or the newer D7000 with a 50mm1.4

On the Canon side - look at the Canon 60D with an L-glass 50mm 1.4/1.8

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Points 37,688, Level 100
Points: 37,688, Level: 100 Points: 37,688, Level: 100 Points: 37,688, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Also look at www.bhphotovideo.com for the reviews and gets some comparisons on the cameras. Great reviews on BHphotovideo.

Lots of comparisons.

Then ... check out their used area for bodies and lenses.

Also check out Adorama.com and KEH.com for some good prices on the ones you choose.

-Ray-

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Points 37,688, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I also recommend you find a good camera store in your area and ask to hold all of these cameras. Find one that really fits your hand nicely.

When you are comfortable with the feel, you will be more happy holding one for a long time on like photo walks through car shows or family outings.

-Ray-

Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnzRed1 View Post
Ready to jump to DSLR, I have a 1500.00 budget any suggestions? First thought was to go Canon or Nikon but my camera guy is really pushing the Sony A55V alot of bang for the buck on the Sony. Help me decide!
Why is he pushing that camera? because it has more megapixels? if he is he is blowig smoke. 16.5 megapixels is way more than you will ever use. esp as a novice user. I am not a big fan of sony cameras either, HUGE fan of their TVs tho lol!

I am a NIKON guy, my father is a canon guy and having used both I prefer the Nikon over the canon. But BOTH are excellent cameras. and you can't go wrong with either. When it comes to lenses IMHO NIKOR has the edge over the canon glass but again both are excellent quality. For 1500.00 you will be able to get some really good quality stuff. Personally I would opt for the D5100 with the 18-55 kit lens and get the 55-200mm VR lens when you can afford it.

the other piece of advice for you is one you have your camera and lens sign up for a photograpy class at your local community college or if one of your local camera stores has them sign up for that.

understand that once you buy canon or nikon you will want to stick with them because quality glass is not cheap and if you change cameras you will have to change lenses as well. lenses hold their value better than the camera bodys.

in addition to the BHPhotovideo.com website you will want to take a look at KenRockwell.com also. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

just whatever you do take your time and read up on shit before you buy. DLSRs are not cheap and so you need to spend your money wisely.

IMHO for DSLRs NIKON > Canon > SONY
for point a shoots canon rules ...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57839
What I Drive: 2008 Red SE coupe, 01 F150 4WD SC

Points 230, Level 4
Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 BnzRed1 Good Standing Member
I held both a Nikon and the Sony. The nikon was a much larger camera and would provide a better grip especially when using larger and longer lenses. But as far as frame speed it was three frames a second vs ten for the sony. I am wanting to do night shots but also some high speed shots as my grandkids are in martial arts. Both the Nikon and the Sony priced out about $799, it's the extra batteries and an 8gb sd card, the uv lens protector and a remote flash that push it up close to $1500. That includes the governor's part. It was kinda of explained to me this way " Cameras are like computers buy one today and a faster and better one will come out tommorrow" . What is it you like about your camera and what have you found the shortcomings to be?
"Less is More"...." Just because they make it doesn't mean it looks good or belongs on your car!" ........... 2009 FocusFest-1st place-"BestModified", 2011 FocusFest -1st place-"Best in Class"..2012 TFR "Best Modified"
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
Sorry but I think buying a DSLR for taking movies is not a good idea. yes, you can do it but it is not meant to be a replacement for a video set-up. there are those that will disagree but that is my opinion.

I also don't agree with the camera are like computers comment. they don't make quantum leaps in a few months like computers do.

what kind of store are you talking to?

you may want to look at the cheaper D5100 and get a bit more for your buck. BH has the 5100,18-55mm vr lens and a bunch of other stuff for right aroud 800 bucks then you could pick up a faster lens to go with it and still be under your 1500.00 budget most likely.

as far as what I like and don't like about mine it wouldn't do you a lot of good as I have a D70s and I don't know how they really compare with the newer Nikons. I am waiting on it's replacement (alledgedly the D80 2500.00 bucks est. price for body only) when it hits the streets I will likely step up to it.

the one think I am not thrilled about is the menu system. LOTS of choices which makes my head hurt. but you will get that with any DSLR camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnzRed1 View Post
I held both a Nikon and the Sony. The nikon was a much larger camera and would provide a better grip especially when using larger and longer lenses. But as far as frame speed it was three frames a second vs ten for the sony. I am wanting to do night shots but also some high speed shots as my grandkids are in martial arts. Both the Nikon and the Sony priced out about $799, it's the extra batteries and an 8gb sd card, the uv lens protector and a remote flash that push it up close to $1500. That includes the governor's part. It was kinda of explained to me this way " Cameras are like computers buy one today and a faster and better one will come out tommorrow" . What is it you like about your camera and what have you found the shortcomings to be?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you're not doing a bunch of professional photo work, the D5100 is more camera than you will ever need. It's high ISO capabilities are incredible, so you'll be good for low light and action shots. I love the way the D5100 feels, solid, but not too hunky.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

Points 172,946, Level 100
Points: 172,946, Level: 100 Points: 172,946, Level: 100 Points: 172,946, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 33 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
If you want a camera that takes good photos, has a manual setting, and shoots good HD video.. look at the Nikon P100. It's not a dSLR, but it is probably one of the best at doing all those things as good as possible.

It's what I'm currently running with. The HD video is pretty excellent.

Otherwise, listen to everything Ray (tukaniSVT) is saying. The dude really knows his stuff, and wouldn't steer you wrong.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Points 37,688, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
You know Ben ... I didn't even put 2 and 2 together ... lol. How you doing buddy?

Anyways, back to topic.

Everyone here has given some great suggestions. I do agree you just need to research it and see which works best for you. And I am glad you went to the store to hold one. It does make a difference.

Careful about some stores ... they will try to sell you everything and the kitchen sink. You wont really need new batteries. Honesty, I have shot my Nikon through 3 days of shooting with out having to charge my battery. (I don't think you would be shooting to often) as you may want to catch your grand kids doing their thing with your own eyes sometimes.

So don't have them sell you batteries. Hold off on that. And those batteries last like a couple of years before needing a replacement. And thankfully, the DSLR companies keep the same batteries just about across the board on their DSLRs. So, if you jump to another camera down the road in the same manufacturer ... more than likely you will still be able to use the same battery.

-Ray-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.