Votes: 805 27.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 254 8.8%
  • 40+

Votes: 62 2.1%

MPG poll

1M views 1K replies 655 participants last post by  That_Yellow_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
I thought out of curiousity I'd start a poll to see what kind of mpg everyone is getting. If you are getting around 30+ mpg could you please reply with the things you did or methods used to increase your mpg. I've filled up 3 times so far. The mpg for the tank of gas from the dealership is not accurate as I don't know for sure if the trip miles were on the tank.

Rounded to the nearest 10th.
Fill up---MPG
0---------????
1---------24.4
2---------25.7
3---------Still driving on this tank.

I up shifted a little bit later on fill up #2 (between about 2750 and 3000 rpms vs around 2250 give or take 200 rpms.

#242 ·
On only my 4th tank (car has just under 800 miles currently) and so far,I'm seeing 24-25mpg on my 22 mile/day round trip driving.Both mods in my sig have been installed.I imagine I'll average closer to 28-30 if I do just freeway driving.

With a ATX,that's about as good as I'll get I believe...

#3 ·
Most I've ever gotten was 29.9. Recently I've only been seeing 23-25.

#4 ·
SCT 93 octane ZED0 tune from FocusSport & K&N Drop-in. Last 1800 miles since tune ave. 34 MPG. Mostly commuting to and from work. Shifting at 2000 to 2500 and only thrashing really deserving people.... although it seems like I need to spank at least a couple per tank.

Long distance highway would probably be a bit better without all the cold-starts on my daily drive.

Oh, keeping the tires 35/32 and the alignment toed out as far as possible. I think the stock settings are too conservative and cost mileage.

#7 ·
I have an SVT and am averaging close to 27 MPG's since I've purchased it brand new. I drive normal, a few quick starts per tank, but usually taking off normally and shifting at 3k.

The lowest I've seen was low-mid 23 MPG's, but that's when I have a really heavy foot. The highest I've seen was mid 31 MPG's.

I have an intake and throttle body for mods, but it really hasn't had any effect on my MPG's. I have a tune, but I'm still on the first tank. I might have picked up a MPG, but it's too early to tell on one tank.

#11 ·
Currently getting about 33mpg in my 2.0 D20E PZEV MTX. I shift to 2nd at about 10-12mph, to 3rd 19-20mph, to 4th 30-32mph, and to 5th when I'm cruising (35 or above only). Windows closed with ventilation at 1 (no AC). Average highway speed 55-65mph.

This is 75% highway driving, BUT about a fourth of the 75% is traffic highway (if you live in the SF Bay Area, you know how slow 880 is during peak hours).

25% is driving in San Francisco. About 25% driving with 3 or more people in the car. 0-60 times almost always under 10 sec.

#12 ·
My last fill up I got 31.3 mpg. the last few fill up's where.

My driving is about 50 percent highway. And 50 percent around town. Most of the driving is to and from work. My car is 2005 ZX3 5 speed. And I shift at 2800-3000 rpms.
And I have 1100 mile on it so far. It is a fun car to drive, and I have no mods as of yet. My last fill up for 31.3 mpg was mostly all highway.

#13 ·
On my 5 speed/ZX3 last time I filled up I got 32 MPG.

I shift 3000-3500 all the time (unless I'm filling leadfoot-happy) but even if I 80% of the time am shifting up in the higher RPM's I still get 29-30 MPG. My lowest has been 24 MPG but that was all city driving.

In the ST the highest has been 31 MPG (I think) and the lowest has been 26 MPG. Shifting around 3500-4000 RPM each time.

#15 ·
i have an 05 zx3 with the auto trans 50/50 split with 87 octane i get about 27mpg but im currently running 89 octane and noticing a difference in milage i will calculate later this week but im thinkin a 1-3 mpg jump on the same route to and from work when using 87 octane

#18 ·
Bought an 02 Mach ZTS last week... great car except for the TO bearing noise!

27.67 mpg on first tank, 26.53 mpg on second. Combined City/Hiway and not necessarily trying to get good gas mileage.

I am impressed! Years ago I had a 1988 Mercury Tracer (Mazda 323) and I got 30 mpg all the time, while driving it extremely hard. Of course, it didn't have nearly the power of the ZTS and wouldn't go at all with the a/c on.

#19 ·
I drive an 01 SPI sedan and on mixed driving I can range between 28-30 mpg. But if for some reason I have a lead foot for that tank it can drop to 26mpg. My ma's focus which is 2 1/2 years newer gets between 30-32mpg mixed driving.

#20 ·
wmprof said:
I am impressed! Years ago I had a 1988 Mercury Tracer (Mazda 323) and I got 30 mpg all the time, while driving it extremely hard. Of course, it didn't have nearly the power of the ZTS and wouldn't go at all with the a/c on.
I had an 88 tracer back in high school. I never paid attention to mpg back then. High gas prices will do that to ya :)

I definately know what you mean about the power. I had a 97 aspire before this and it was only 67hp I believe.

#21 ·
RecoilRob said:
SCT 93 octane ZED0 tune from FocusSport & K&N Drop-in.
I'm not familiar with moding. I assume this is some sort of addition to the engine? Does doing stuff like this void warranty? As I am considering adding things or whatnot if its worth doing. I mainly drive it to and from work. Almost always city driving most of the time as long as traffic is at or above speed limit I rarely even get stopped at a light.

#22 ·
I just recently took a trip down to florida and first i filled up with Sunoco Ultra 94 and got close to 35 with 90% highway and 10% city. Unfortunately i couldn't find a Sunoco Gas Station that would sell 94 octane on the way down and i mostly stuck to BP 93. I varied between 27 - 33 with all highway but with construction, stupid drivers and speed changes (varying from 70 down to 55)

I have a Zetec with 5 speed manual with Volant CAI, FS UDP, SVT Snorkle, Bosal Flex, Magnaflow Cat-back, FS/SCT Superchip setup for 93 octane, Alt cut out @ WOT, Early fan activation, EGR sytem disabled, Rear O2 sensor disabled, and Valet Mode. I'm thinking of switching to the Flasher if Randy could possibly work out some kind of deal with me. In the winter i was getting 24 on Ultra 94 and i would mostly baby it around, probally what killed that mpg was the fact that i'd warm it up longer that what i normally do.

On my trip i could easily go to 350 before my idiot light (gas light) would come on, but i'd alway go to the gas station right after it would come on and i'd fill up with either 10 or 11 gallons (13.2 gallon tank)

#23 · (Edited)
ive had my focus for about a week and a helf and i filled it up today, this tank i averaged 28.3 mpg, but im still getting used to the car so hopefuly that will improve, ive been shifting at about 2700-3000 rpm's, but every now and then ive thrown it down for fun.

#26 ·
Originally posted by StoneRyno
I'm not familiar with moding. I assume this is some sort of addition to the engine? Does doing stuff like this void warranty? As I am considering adding things or whatnot if its worth doing. I mainly drive it to and from work. Almost always city driving most of the time as long as traffic is at or above speed limit I rarely even get stopped at a light.
Not to hijack the thread... but, if you are not familiar with modding, I would suggest you do alot of reading before making any changes other than cosmetic.

I have modified many cars over the last 30 years and it's real easy to spend lots of money with minimal improvement.

The current focus is gonna get lowered and that's about it. Can't see myself with fartpipe or other rice stuff! A commuter car is a commuter car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.