Votes: 805 27.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 254 8.8%
  • 40+

Votes: 62 2.1%

MPG poll

1M views 1K replies 655 participants last post by  That_Yellow_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
I thought out of curiousity I'd start a poll to see what kind of mpg everyone is getting. If you are getting around 30+ mpg could you please reply with the things you did or methods used to increase your mpg. I've filled up 3 times so far. The mpg for the tank of gas from the dealership is not accurate as I don't know for sure if the trip miles were on the tank.

Rounded to the nearest 10th.
Fill up---MPG
0---------????
1---------24.4
2---------25.7
3---------Still driving on this tank.

I up shifted a little bit later on fill up #2 (between about 2750 and 3000 rpms vs around 2250 give or take 200 rpms.

#838 ·
I don't currently own one but have owned a 2010 and a 2012
the 2010 got around 35 like it was supposed to. owned it for 18,000 miles
the 2012 did 10,000 before I lost it and got anywhere from 30 city to 45 highway depending on my driving pretty awesome on gas and style but I hated the tranny

#839 ·
I usually average about 28mpg in my 2003 SVT

#846 ·
My '13 with less than 4K miles on the clock consistently returns about 37-39 mpg on regular and about 27 mpg on E85. I've seen single-trip mileage to and from work of 41.4 mpg, but I haven't been able to get that for a tank yet.

On a recent trip upstate I averaged 34.6 mpg at a trip-average speed of 66mph.

I'm able to get consistently high mileage on my work commute because I have almost no stop lights on the 17 mile trip and the highest posted top speed is 40, though I try to do 45 since that is just fast enough to pop the DCT into top gear.

FWIW, my worst tank was on E85 shortly after I bought the car in May and it was just over 21mpg.

#848 · (Edited)
Since I could use it, I gave E85 a try. But, even with it being 50-cents cheaper per gallon than regular, it isn't cost effective with the mpg loss. It does make the car run stronger though. It has a much higher octane rating (110) than even premium fuel and the Focus engine computer can utilize that.

#850 ·
Interesting, are you blending your own E20 or do they sell it in parts of MN? I lived in NE and could find E85 everywhere and now I'm in south FL and they've got E85 in a few places, but I've not seen E20 anywhere.

#853 ·
milage

Not sure how some of you can report getting mid to upper 30's on your vehicle; my 04 2.3 Duratech California emission package w/ 5 speed can only muster 32 at best on the highway driving a steady 65 mph.... and I only got that milage after changing tyres to LRR tyres, cleaning throttle body and mass air flow sensor, changing to copper Autolite 103's, changing manual transmission fluid to Ford synethic, and upping tyre pressure to 40 psi cold.

Before doing all of this, the best I could muster was 25 mpg straight highway, after the above, I got 28 on a regular basis and even managed 32 on a trip to LA. Still not happy with the milage, but at least it now meets the EPA highway milage estimate of 31 from time to time. I still only get 17 in city driving around San Francisco, but even that is better than the 15 mpg I used to get before doing the above improvements.

#856 ·
Not sure how some of you can report getting mid to upper 30's on your vehicle; my 04 2.3 Duratech California emission package w/ 5 speed can only muster 32 at best on the highway driving a steady 65 mph.... and I only got that milage after changing tyres to LRR tyres, cleaning throttle body and mass air flow sensor, changing to copper Autolite 103's, changing manual transmission fluid to Ford synethic, and upping tyre pressure to 40 psi cold.

Before doing all of this, the best I could muster was 25 mpg straight highway, after the above, I got 28 on a regular basis and even managed 32 on a trip to LA. Still not happy with the milage, but at least it now meets the EPA highway milage estimate of 31 from time to time. I still only get 17 in city driving around San Francisco, but even that is better than the 15 mpg I used to get before doing the above improvements.
GPCPilot is right. Hills make a huge difference. I might add that I'm pretty sure the Duratec engines in the older foci generally were not as fuel efficient as the Zetec engines. According to car-emissions.com the average fuel consumption for cars with 2.3 Duratec engines is 29.7mpg and for cars with 2.0 Zetec engines is 34.2mpg.

#854 · (Edited)
I used to live in SoCal. You have a lot more hills there, than say here in Florida. It is amazing how much of a difference that makes. My previous vehicle was an Escape Hybrid.

I could get about 29mpg highway in the Escape. When I moved to Florida, my Escape was consistently 33-34mpg highway. It is so flat here. Also, the average speed in Fla. tends to be slower (too many retirees I think), so that helps mileage.

The last factor I think, is that the newer Foci are really very fuel efficient. The DCT actually has a higher mpg rating than the manual version.

As the Government likes to say, "Your mileage may vary."

#858 ·
Fantastic...............

I get over 1000 miles per gallon PLUS...........................
when it's towed behind my Motor Home.[woot]
Anyone top that??????[headbang]

#861 ·
i get about 20-23 mpg 95% city driving, stops every 30 seconds to a minute or so, does this milage seem normal? ( i dont mind this mileage at all, my last vehical "ford ranger lifted, with mt's " i got like 7-10 mpg city so 20-23 is a nice change)

BTW i have the 2012 5sp manual

on the highway, it's phenomial have reset the MPG calculator and get between 40-45 around 70 mph

i Run on 91 octane gas, (no ethenol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.