Votes: 805 27.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 254 8.8%
  • 40+

Votes: 62 2.1%

MPG poll

1M views 1K replies 655 participants last post by  That_Yellow_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
I thought out of curiousity I'd start a poll to see what kind of mpg everyone is getting. If you are getting around 30+ mpg could you please reply with the things you did or methods used to increase your mpg. I've filled up 3 times so far. The mpg for the tank of gas from the dealership is not accurate as I don't know for sure if the trip miles were on the tank.

Rounded to the nearest 10th.
Fill up---MPG
0---------????
1---------24.4
2---------25.7
3---------Still driving on this tank.

I up shifted a little bit later on fill up #2 (between about 2750 and 3000 rpms vs around 2250 give or take 200 rpms.

#666 ·
when the Torq Converter is not locked you have about 10% loss of Power. If you have the t/c lock up while accelerating you get a little boost of power when it locks. Im not really sure how much this saves fuel wise but it certainly brings me to 60mph faster then when it doesn't lock.

#667 ·
Personally,the focus has been failing me a little bit, lately. It's fantastic for long cruises. I drove to LAX, then anaheim, with a fair amount of city driving, and pulled off the whole 210 miles using only 6 gallons.

But usually I'm not on long cruises. I've got a a 30 mile drive out to school and back twice a week, but the rest of the time I'm putting around town all day visiting the girlfriend, going to lunch, or just driving.

Because of that, and the wonderful new sound from my Trubendz cat-back and the itch it gives me to put the pedal down, I've been doing terribly! only about 240-290 miles per tank. On better days with all this stop and go driving I average 26mpg.

#670 ·
i mean I wouldn't call it failing, its more driving style. unless you had a fiesta you wouldn't do much better with mileage, its mostly dependent on your driving. When I had a celica (rated like 22/29), i beat up that gas pedal up and never saw better than 23, but my dad got 27 in it driving easy. If im in typical baltimore city traffic, focus is 23. normal around town, also like 26. highway around 32 taking it easy

#671 ·
good mpg

I drive an 03 svt and love it! I average 26-27 mpg around town. I do get that erg to 'gun it' and let 'er eat though. Yes, 6 gears help, but common sense is key when trying to do a mileage run. Light on pedal, drafting, coasting, and speeding up going downhill all help for me. Also I try to keep rpm's at 3000 or less at all times. I have yet to go on an open road trip to see how good it gets then. Later.

#672 ·
winter highway driving about 28 mpg, summer weather 33mpg. that is doing 65-75mph on highway for 75% of my driving.

no significant loss of mpg or performance on my 2004 focus zx5 5 spd manual. 120,500 miles, no major issues. one set of brakes/ rotors, and will probably need new eaxhaust and suspesnion in the next two years...

pretty nice ride overall, also original battery...

#674 ·
I am consistently getting ~37mpg in my new Focus. Speeds are mostly ~75mph and I use CC when I can. I try and shift around 2K RPM.

#676 ·
Lots of freeway driving pays off-

I got 36 actual at my next fill up.

#678 ·
I'm sure driving 80mph isn't helping my mpg, lol - it's good enough where I don't want to slow down. I'm wondering if the mileage will go up as it gets warmer out. My GF's 07 Corolla Sport gets terrible mileage in the winter and it comes up quite a bit in the warmer months...

#680 ·
Same, but what about "sweating it out" to see how your mpg's do? [giddy]

#682 ·
In our cars, less then 45MPH you get better MPG with the windows down, above that speed A/C gets you better MPG.

That's my observation.

Winter time, i usually get 32-33 MPG, summer time i get 35-36 average.

#684 ·
In my 5 speed SPI, I've been getting 33-35 MPG all winter long. Now that the weather is getting warmer, the best I've gotten so far was 38 MPG with mixed city/highway driving. My only secret is no jack-rabbit starts and keeping the speed limit. Boring, I know. But I almost don't mind that gas is approaching $4/gal.

#686 ·
How I hit 30.45 mpg in a 2003 Focus LX with a stock SPI engine. I didn't push her hard off the line and just let the engine build momentum and shift. Never exceeded 60MPH except when passing on the highway where I maxed out at 70mph. Coast down all hills with with my foot off the gas. Avoid as many of the short little to the store, beer runs, etc... Those kill mileage. Keep up on the maintainable aspects of the car like oil, plugs, air filter etc...

#690 ·
2011 SE sedan with MTX. Have 5,800 miles on it.
My worst tank over the winter was 30.5. My best so far is 38.5 calculated (display said 39.2). My display currently has 39.4...little less than 1/4 tank of gas left and I've already traveled 400 miles.
Mostly back road (45mph) driving to and from work with several stop lights and a few stop signs. Once a week highway trip to another work facility across town (35 miles).
My best display reading was traveling 60 mph with 20 mph winds at my back...stayed above 45.5 mpg for 30 minutes.

#691 ·
2010 SES manual. Usually get low 300 mile range per tank.

I average low 28's during my all city commute to work (as stated by computer) hand calculated last summer before it was fully broke it was between 27.2-27.8mpg in the city. I rag on my car quite often though.

Read an article in Car and Driver awhile back that said every inch they went up in tire size at 70mph lost them 1-1.5mpg. I have NEVER got 35mpg at my highway speeds (75+). Sometimes wish I had the SE lol Highway gets me about 30-31.5mpg in the winter. Upwards of 33mpg in the warmer months (again as stated by the computer)

#692 ·
I got 39.67 mpg today on a 200 mile run with 4600 miles on the new Fiesta, so it's broke-in. I haven't busted 40 mpg, but I'm working on it. I usually do the math at every tank fill. Mixed driving stop and go at first then hywy with cruise control set between 65 and 70mph, so a good sample of city and hywy driving.

#693 ·
After my oil change my HUD is reading 41mpg cruising around 70mph. Driving with the AC on non-stop I still get ~39.5-40mpg on the HUD doing similar speeds. I can't wait to see what I get out of it with a cold air and some exhaust mods.

#696 ·
09 SES Coupe 5sp. overall average mileage is 31.81 with 80% highway.
Peak real mileage was 35.59 low is 25.92 due to a winter blizzard. I don't go by the HUD as it has shown to be off by an average of 2mpg.

Average Winter Mileage 30.28
Average Spring Mileage 32.29
Average Summer Mileage 32.75
Average Fall Mileage 32.40

Lately I have switched to premium E0 and am seeing a 1-2 mpg increase. My state is a mandatory E10 state and you can't find regular unleaded without ethanol added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.