Votes: 805 27.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 254 8.8%
  • 40+

Votes: 62 2.1%

MPG poll

1M views 1K replies 655 participants last post by  That_Yellow_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
I thought out of curiousity I'd start a poll to see what kind of mpg everyone is getting. If you are getting around 30+ mpg could you please reply with the things you did or methods used to increase your mpg. I've filled up 3 times so far. The mpg for the tank of gas from the dealership is not accurate as I don't know for sure if the trip miles were on the tank.

Rounded to the nearest 10th.
Fill up---MPG
0---------????
1---------24.4
2---------25.7
3---------Still driving on this tank.

I up shifted a little bit later on fill up #2 (between about 2750 and 3000 rpms vs around 2250 give or take 200 rpms.

#587 ·
last summer I got 40 even on the highway, and between 30-32 city. then this winter it dropped dramatically to about 30 highway and like 18-24 city. LOL

#591 ·
I usually average 32-34mpg in the winter and 36mpg in the summer.
Drive 70 miles a day to and from work.
Auto trans.

I try to keep 4 or more bars on my mpg thingy. Speed up to 70 going down hills and slow to 60 up hills. I don't' run it hard all the time, just every now and again. I got 37mpg on this last fill up but i was driving easier this week.

#592 ·
Gas Milage dont mean anything till you come to Germany all most $8.00 bucks a gal I get 35+ driven like a granny. or about 22 when I drive it like I stole it

#596 ·
i am a new owner of a 2010 Black Ford Focus SES 4cyl Auto. i am averaging 29.2 mpg which is awesome in my book....however, i would like to know what parts and accessories i can add to increase the mpg....not necessarily interested horsepower but if it increases gas mileage then so be it.....any help will be appreciated. i am not apt in this area so any help would be great....name of priduct and cheapest place to get it....

thanks
patrick
jackson,tn

#597 ·
Congrats! I noticed in my '09 that mpg went up as the motor was broken in. I would wait until about 5K before taking the MPG too seriously. In the meantime try to break in the engine as stated in the owners manual and enjoy your new car. If you want to track your MPG consider joining the site www.fuelly.com .

#598 ·
best way to break in a motor is let it fully warm up first. Then punch it and then coast down through the RPMs creating a vacume. First 4-5 times only bring to 4k, then do 5 times up to 5k. Then do a few at 6k. Then change the oil. Then drive like normal but make sure you let the car fully warm up for the first 1k miles. Thats the best way to wear in the Rings for best fuel eco and cleaner oil.

Thanks how my brother breaks in the new cars at his dealership and has never had a defective motor come in from his dealer.

#600 ·
I usually get around 30-32 in my 08 coupe. Thats a mix of Highway and city driving too.

#604 ·
no you need a 5 speed trans shift at 2 thousand RPM'S in every gear take off very slowly. use 5th in town no A/C at all. Try driving at 55 to 60 on the Highway. Then you might get 40+ MPG dont sound fun to me driving like Grandma.

#609 ·
I get 30-32 in my SVT commuting (72 miles round trip, 50-60mph, hit 4-5 lights on average each way. Use cruise and set it for 5 over the posted. Calculated over 2 dozen fills so far. At 75-78 cruise I get 28, at 80 it drops to 27.
Well above EPA est. Only mod is CAI.
Can't complain!!!!

#610 ·
Mostly Freeway 32 mpg ave

I have a 2004 ZX3 with a 2.3l and manual transmission. The 2.3 seems to have enough power to get me up the on ramps with no issues and cruise the grades at 65 mph. Accelerating up a grade is tedious. I put about 30K on it each year with mostly freeway commute. I use 5-30 synthetic oil changed every 5K miles, change the plugs and fuel filter every year and drive 65 mpg ave during the commute. I also use fuel injector cleaner at every oil change. I keep the stock size tires at 34 psi (as recommended). The biggest variations in mpg for me are highway speed and tire pressure. MPG drops to 30 if I run the tires at 32 or lower. MPG drops to 28 if I average 70 and 26 if I average 75 mph. I've seen no difference in fuel type (although ARCO 87 was the worst economy) or octane rating. If I take easy back roads and average 50 mph I've gotten a high of 36 mph. City only is typically 24-26. I'm looking to evaluate intake, and exhaust options next to try to get average up to 35. Would love to have better performance and better fuel economy with the same investment. I love the Focus and will definitely buy another when this one hits 180K or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.