Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How serious have problems with your Focus been?

• Nothing wrong with it! Really pleased with my decision to buy.

Votes: 486 28.0%
  • Nothing too serious, minor work here and there. Hasn't broken the bank account yet!

Votes: 954 54.9%
  • A number of costly and/or irritating deficiences with the car. Spent a fair bit of change fixing th

Votes: 246 14.2%
  • So many problems that I will never buy a Ford again. Nearly went bankrupt due to repair shop bills!

Votes: 52 3.0%

What sorts of problems has your Focus experienced?

561K views 661 replies 483 participants last post by  SEEcoboost 
#1 ·
I'm interested to find out what percentage of members here have had problems with their Focus. It seems like all I read are stories of these vehicles breaking down and being really unreliable!

I think we all tend to focus on the negative rather than the positive, so I thought a poll might give a better idea as to what sorts of issues people are having.

#292 ·
i've had my lil car for 2 plus years - the ONLY thing weird is, i've had her not wanna start three times, once yesterday in an intersection, took about 15 seconds of cranking....anyone else? just bad gas? i've but BP, as recommended (insert boo's here) except three times in the last 2 years.

#294 ·
Clutch pedal skeak. Weather stripping on top of windows. Repaced once under warranty a moth ago and same window is jacked up again. A few squeaks. Goofy feeling cluth pedal sometimes. Firmness varies sometimes dosen't come all the way back up. And oem tires wore out way to fast and unevenly (26k mi). Taking it back to dealer to address exsisting issues. Over all very happy.

One more thing. 4 months to the day after I bought it. Went to leave my buddys house and it wouldn't start. Acted like I didn't press the clutch pedal. After a little looking around noticed that the clutch saftey switch had gotten disconected. Extra weird since it had to be unclipped then slid up about an inch to do so. Put it back together and zip tied it in place. No problems since.

#296 ·
hatch never latched, cruise controls don't work, unlock hatch button don't work, struts, wheel bearing, seal in trans, computer randomly came unplugged, trans issues, cracked thermostat, broken center console, squeaks, valve leak, lug nut caps all coming off, sway bar links, and some other things. and i still like Fords

#297 ·
ive had my 05 zx3 for 3 months so far the reverse switch has went out which the dealer fixed free of charge even though came as-is .. just last week a piece ontop of tranny broke but they couldnt just get that piece so they had to install an all new shift arm assembly $650 JUST FOR THE PART 350 for labor that was a hard check to write .... but i still love my car !!!!!

#301 · (Edited)
Too many problems to list. Just silly stuff that adds up to a lot of money for a single mother like me. Indicator in shift stuck, passenger door does not lock, key sticks in ignition in cold weather, lights come on randomly indicating problem with car but then flash off again, brakes replaced, a lot of tires gone through because of uneven wear, gas pedal sticks and today the last straw - I was driving to the dealer in a rainstorm to have him look at my gas pedal which stuck yesterday,and my wipers just about flew off of my car. He says there is nothing wrong with my gas pedal - baloney there isn't - and it will cost me $500.00 to replace wiper pivot tomorrow because he didn't have one in stock. This car handles beautifully and has been a pleasure to drive but all of this poor craftsmanship has drained me financially so I will never buy another Ford - this after owning four before this one. The wipers were just the coup de gras for me. Hate to see winter come because this car is horrible driving on snow and ice and has many anomalies in the winter.

#302 ·
And I forgot to mention that when I got the car new, it made a strange noise on turns and it took the dealer two weeks to figure out is was a broken sway bar which it had when I first picked it up. Dealer went out of business two weeks later. Clowns in the service department and tomorrow I am going to tell them I want to see the broken pivot. Don't believe one word they say.

#306 ·
Nothing too serious. Only a few general repairs on my '01 ZX3. I bought it at 101k, so I had to expect to replacing a few things here and there.

What I've done:

Alignment (was my fault)
Wheel bearing
Fuel pump/fuel filter (pump was under warranty and Ford's fault)
dampers, end links and spark plugs will be getting changed here soon as well (broken end link is my fault, LOL)

Other than that stuff, and regular oil changes, that's about it. I'm very pleased.

#307 ·
The only problems I had 6-disc CD player, clutch,pressure plate-warranty covered that. nothing since. thats to bad to here what "Megdoe" is going thru thou. I believe the focus is a great little car for the money. $ for $ you can't beat it.

#310 ·
I had rebuilt transmission, changed wipers, repaired passenger rear window (window fell down), driver's window same probem(rigged w/hanger and duct tape), replace all three mounts (engine was the worst some fanatics report ever seeing), bought all new tires, replaced headlight bulbs (both), replaced rear right light cover, replaced spark plugs, replaced hose, used car twice for collateral loans, great on gas and fitting into parking space. Has leather seats. Only washed four times (great finish). Bought used in 2004. Car year is 2000. Had approx 40k miles on it. I've added 83k miles. Love my car! Grateful to all of the FF who have helped me on my Ford journey. Special shout out to the Captain!

#312 ·
No big issues so far. Only had an alternator bearing go under warranty. If dealer service departments were competent that would have been an easy fix. I wish I could buy a car for a couple thousand less without a warranty. It has had a stage 2 turbo on it for 20k and a few track events. My only issues have been related to heat from the turbo. Certainly not fords issue.

#313 ·
2009 Focus SE, bought it with 28200 on it with an air bag warning light. Ford warranty fixed it. I'm now at 29800 and carfacts indicated that it had not had issues before I bought it.

Time will tell but since I didn't see a lot of used Focus's in my area, I'm thinking this is a car you buy and keep. Saturn SL's were like that. My previous long time ride.

Clutch

#316 ·
2001/144,000. miles orig. owner.

Let's see here. Water pump-thermostat housing-battery cables-3 batteries-one assesory belt-one idler-one tensioner-2 frt.brake callipers-two frt. rotors-brake pads-rear brake shoes-2 frt.struts-2 rear shocks-one heater blower motor-one coil pack-wire -harness connecting coil pack-2 tie rod ends[outer]-one driver side door handle-one rht. side motor mount-antenna,car wash killed it-2 oil pan drain plugs-one alltinator-.

#317 ·
after 4 days of driving my newly bought 03 svt, eng light popped on and eng seemed like 'chugging' and just die when approaching stops. Replaced front o2 because of heater circuit malfunction. still chugged. Now I took off aftermarket air filter (on vehicle when bought) and reinstalled factory air box and tube under battery. Engine runs great, doesnt load up rich and die at stops, and fuel mileage is back up! also just replaced lower ball joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.