Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - Reply to Topic
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat > Do you rent your tires?

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Thread: Do you rent your tires? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-14-2013 11:10 AM
CriticalMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
I grew up in a poor household, so maybe I have a lot more empathy for low income families. We robbed peter to pay paul every month. We went days without water because the paycheck did not come until Friday, but the final deadline to pay was tuesday... I am sure if something like this had been around then, we probably would have used it, and gotten ripped off.

Often it is not about how smart or retarded the individual is, sometimes it is simple desperation, and many people do not understand that because they have never experienced it. If you have to make the decision between feeding your children, or buying new tires, often necessities like tires seem a lot less necessary. And then you get to the point where if you don't have new tires, you don't get to work, and you can't feed your kids, so you do what you have to do to survive, even if you know you are getting ripped off.

Like many here, I have zero sympathy for the people who are broke because they don't have their priorities straight, the ones who live off welfare and drive caddy's with chrome rims . But we cannot assume every poor person is a moron. Many are just desperate. And desperation makes us do some stupid things.

What pisses me off (like many on here) are the ones who take advantage of the desperate. Pay day loans, pawn shops, and rental centers pray on the desperation of the poor, and I hate it.
Most of the people in this thread doing the name calling probably still live with their parents or have never fallen on hard times. News flash, even the richest 1%'ers are capable of going broke. So be careful what you say, you may have to eat those words one day.

I spent $600.00 for tires and mounting just a couple weeks ago. They're nice tires, but the sad part is, they're only middle-of-the-road. I could have spent $900.00 for some of the American branded tires being sold for my car. Tell me THAT isn't ridiculous.

They claim rubber and petroleum shortages. Bullshit. America is the fastest growing non-opec oil producer in the world. We are pumping out 7.5 million barrels of oil a day now as opposed to 5 million in 2011 because of huge oil reserves recently discovered and tapped into. Gas, Oil & Tire companies are producing record breaking net profits almost every quarter (in some cases in the BILLIONS of dollars range). In 2011 we had 12 oil rigs running in the gulf, today we have 53. The shortages are a lie to keep prices high. All anyone has to do is read the right articles (usually the ones that working people do not bother with because they cannot afford to invest money in the stock market) and people would know that they are being lied to and based on those lies, they are over-paying for products.

People are being screwed over and the economy will end up crashing again and again because of the insatiable corporate greed.

You also should bear in mind before making judgments that some people have very expensive health conditions. In some cases, like my wife's. Living a few extra years so she can hopefully be around to see our daughter graduate high school is expensive. Just because YOU can't see what is going on in someone's life, does NOT mean it isn't happening. Judging people like that is something only a fool does. And yeah, there are a lot of fools running around today.

And people who spout rhetoric handed down by corrupt politicians are the biggest fools of all. Yes. any system can be abused, and will be abused, but many people are just broke and need the food stamps, or unemployment (and hey, unemployment is part of the welfare system, in case you didn't know).

When you have all these things to worry about, and maybe very little or no family support, you will go where you have to in order to get what you need. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a decent network of family and friends to help them out. Some people are alone and businesses like this prey on the desperate, alone, and poor.

Sad part is, you would be shocked to hell to find out exactly how many members of our military have to rely on cash advance and payday loan places. Our military, the folks who risk their lives for us, are one of the biggest customers for these types of businesses. It's $%^%$$^ sad.

Finally, believe it or not, there is an entire segment of our society who do NOT get online. They do not have computers, do not know how to use them, they do not have smart phones and use pay-as-you-go dumb phones, and so do not have access to the information that we do. If they did, they might choose not to rent their tires.
06-14-2013 03:10 AM
sailor That explains it quite well.
06-14-2013 12:49 AM
Nickel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
Then why are they signing up to pay $56/month? That is stupid.
Because it has reached the point that they either get tires, or their car will no longer go down the road and they won't be able to get to and from work, the doctor, etc.. So they find ways to skimp on things, perhaps not taking a needed medication, skipping meals..., paying only part of a utility bill and hoping to work out some sort of arrangement and/or that it won't get turned off, because if they can't get to work they can't afford anything, if they aren't able to take their sick child to the doctor that child might become even more ill or die... when you are working hard, but for low wages and little to no benefits, sometimes it becomes a real balancing act to get the basics covered as there just isn't enough to make ends meet. So they may not have $50 to put aside, because they aren't to that point of skipping meals, of not fully paying the electric bill, not taking their blood pressure med... until, if they don't do those things they won't have a job anymore, won't be able to take their kid to needed medical appoints...
06-14-2013 12:29 AM
mix1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
The point is that they CANT afford $50/month.
Then why are they signing up to pay $56/month? That is stupid.
06-12-2013 06:57 PM
thehubster
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
And what do you do after you cut those and you still can't make ends meet? Life is not always so black and white.

When I was growing up poor, we did not have credit cards, cable, internet, or a home phone, let alone a cell phone. Our bills were rent, and utilities, our car was a busted old hand-me-down from my grandparents, so not even a car payment. When someone gets to that point, what do they cut? water? power? gas?

Now, there are many who can't pay their bills because their priorities are out of whack. But there are also many who have cut pretty much everything non-essential to survival and still can't make ends meet.

You cannot just assume every poor person is an idiot who knows nothing about money.
You try to find more work. Try to bring in more money a month. I don't think all poor people are stupid. that's not what I am saying but I can say I would work my ass off to make sure my family was taken care of. And I know there are a lot of people that have fallen into holes they just can't get out of.

I do think that part of the problem is that they where never taught how to manage their money. I used to live pay check to paycheck and that was with a good job. After getting married I knew I needed to work on managing my money better. my wife and I save almost 35% of our income now. With plenty left over to do what we want. we also have two incomes. and altogether we only make about $40,000 a year. but even $20000 a year is a lot of money if you use it right.
06-12-2013 05:45 PM
crazy_urn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
That's my point...this isn't a "forced" decision, it's just a poor one. Why people fall victim to it is beyond my understanding...but I still stand by my thoughts that for the monthly cost of renting a set of tires, anyone could find a used set cheaper. And if they anticipate the upcoming cost of new tires, and save for a month or two then they can get a brand new set at a fraction of the total cost of the rental agreement.

My point is simple: if you can afford $50/month, then you can afford to purchase (not rent) a set of tires.
The point is that they CANT afford $50/month.

I never said it was a smart decision. From a purely financial standpoint, it is a terrible decision.

I am just saying that desperation causes many people to do stupid things, that does not make them stupid people.
06-12-2013 04:12 PM
Joeywhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
These deals usually suck in people who want something they really can't afford...

That said, crazy_urn has a point - circumstances can sometime force a decision that would normally be a poor one.

What if those tires make the difference to be able to go back to work? Maybe after a long time out due to sickness or injury - many have no "benefits" that would cover a long problem like that.

Probably a bad decision for most customers of such a "service", just don't want to generalize to the point of saying they're ALL idiots...

Cheers!
Then why not buy a cheap used set? I have ZERO doubt that in under an hour I could locate a set of used tires in serviceable condition (if even only for a couple months) for under $50. Only need one tire? $20 or under.

That's my point...this isn't a "forced" decision, it's just a poor one. Why people fall victim to it is beyond my understanding...but I still stand by my thoughts that for the monthly cost of renting a set of tires, anyone could find a used set cheaper. And if they anticipate the upcoming cost of new tires, and save for a month or two then they can get a brand new set at a fraction of the total cost of the rental agreement.

My point is simple: if you can afford $50/month, then you can afford to purchase (not rent) a set of tires.

And another point, what happens when the rental place repossesses your tires after you don't pay for whatever reason? Now you've paid a couple hundred (however long you managed to make the payments) for just a couple months worth of tires...again, poor decision. If you can't afford to buy a set, then you can't afford to rent a set...and should you decide to do it anyways you'll be out more money then the alternative, and right back at square 1 without a set of tires to use.
06-12-2013 04:01 PM
sailor These deals usually suck in people who want something they really can't afford...

That said, crazy_urn has a point - circumstances can sometime force a decision that would normally be a poor one.

What if those tires make the difference to be able to go back to work? Maybe after a long time out due to sickness or injury - many have no "benefits" that would cover a long problem like that.

Probably a bad decision for most customers of such a "service", just don't want to generalize to the point of saying they're ALL idiots...

Cheers!
06-12-2013 01:02 PM
Joeywhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
And what do you do after you cut those and you still can't make ends meet? Life is not always so black and white.

When I was growing up poor, we did not have credit cards, cable, internet, or a home phone, let alone a cell phone. Our bills were rent, and utilities, our car was a busted old hand-me-down from my grandparents, so not even a car payment. When someone gets to that point, what do they cut? water? power? gas?

Now, there are many who can't pay their bills because their priorities are out of whack. But there are also many who have cut pretty much everything non-essential to survival and still can't make ends meet.

You cannot just assume every poor person is an idiot who knows nothing about money.
I still don't get it...

If you're THAT poor, how can you POSSIBLY spend $50/month for a year or more, versus saving the $50 a month for three or four months?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't add up to me. If you're in a truly dire situation, how on God's green earth can the decision to spend several hundred dollars (if not thousands!) for a product that costs $100 tops make any sense?

It seems simple enough to me: your tires get pretty well worn, and you make the decision to "buy now" in your head. You start making those $50 payments to the jar in your drawer, and in a couple short months you have a new set of tires. Hell, do it for one month and get an OK set of used tires.

It's not about not having enough money...it's about poor planning. If you don't have the $50/month to save for purchasing a set of tires, how do you have the money to "rent" them at a huge markup? If you can spend the money to "rent" why not just start that whole process a few months earlier while your tires are still workable, and save a TON of money?

Getting on these rental plans and payday loans and all that NEVER works. Again, it's a matter of planning. If you can't afford to purchase something on your income, then you DON'T purchase it. If a place exists to sell you that product with cheap monthly payments, but a high final cost, then DON'T do it. Pretend like such places don't exist...I've "been there" with being super poor and scrounging for soda cans to return so I have gas money or something to eat. You know what I DIDN'T do? Go and use some payday loan place or a tire rental place or whatever and dig myself further in the hole. You DO have a choice, but most people won't pick the one that makes more sense...you may think it's your only option, but it rarely is. And while in the short term you may feel like you've succeeded, in the long term you've just dug yourself deeper in the hole.

Moral of the story: plan ahead, make responsible decisions. Using a rental scheme like this is not a responsible decision, regardless of your current income.
06-12-2013 12:37 PM
crazy_urn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
The whole argument of not being able to pay your bills isn't a really good argument to me. If you can't afford your bills then start getting rid of some. heck the easiest would for most people would be their phone or their internet or their cable.
And what do you do after you cut those and you still can't make ends meet? Life is not always so black and white.

When I was growing up poor, we did not have credit cards, cable, internet, or a home phone, let alone a cell phone. Our bills were rent, and utilities, our car was a busted old hand-me-down from my grandparents, so not even a car payment. When someone gets to that point, what do they cut? water? power? gas?

Now, there are many who can't pay their bills because their priorities are out of whack. But there are also many who have cut pretty much everything non-essential to survival and still can't make ends meet.

You cannot just assume every poor person is an idiot who knows nothing about money.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat