Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - Reply to Topic
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus > MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Thread: MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
Yesterday 02:08 PM
Tigeo Just use what they recommend in terms of filter size and oil weight.
Yesterday 01:02 PM
dan50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoboost View Post
Greetings,

Wife just got a 14 ti 2.0gdi 6auto.
Have you noticed any mileage increase from the 0w20?
Will search, but is the fl-400s oil filter recommended on this engine too?
Is any deviation in oil/filter a warranty breaker?
I almost want to just take this little car in to have the oil changed. I have ramps, but im not sure ill fit under it even then...I blame beer...
There should be plenty of room for a DIY oil change if you use ramps. The oil filter and drain plug are very easy to access from underneath.

Regarding warranty: Ford specs the FL-910s filter, not the FL-400s. Now maybe the FL-400 fits, but why deviate? And Ford specifies a 5w-20 oil meeting WSS-M2C945A, not an 0w-20. We can argued all day why an 0w-20 oil should make no difference compared to a 5w-20, but the specs are the specs and the warranty is the warranty. Why give Ford an reason to be difficult in the unlikely even of an engine problem?

If you go to any oil maker's website and ask which of their oils is appropriate for a Mk3 2.0 NA Focus in the US, they will all say 5w-20 and none will say 0w-20. I was tempted to jump on the 0w-20 bandwagon too, but ultimately decided to stick with 5w-20, acknowledging that just maybe Ford's engineers know something I don't.
Yesterday 10:15 AM
Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
For ordinary folks who change their oil every 3K miles, and never run the engine hard.. For those who have a leased car, or a not a Ford Focus.. Regular oil is fine.

The Ford Focus MK3 Ford suggests at least synthetic blend, and the oil has to meet the more recent oil requirements. (so that pile of oil from 1967 your crazy uncle Harry still had in his garage.. Nooooo....)

For the MK3 and plenty of modern cars a synthetic blend is good. If you drive normally, and follow the oil change suggestions from Ford. Since Ford suggests using the synthetic blend, and does use it at Ford dealerships.. This is all you need if you are an ordinary driver.

If you regularly run your engine up to redline, run it hard, or race around.. If you want the maximum possible protection AND are will to pay for it. Then use full synthetic.


PS there IS no consensus... Why do you thing this thread GOT to BE so long.. Everybody has their own notion of what is the right thing to do. Then you got the NOOACK folks, and the different viscosity folks, and the 'old timey' advice. Oil is about as contentious as Politics. LOL


(As for using it longer.. Well that kind is being cheap. I say if the plan is to use a synthetic then leave it in forever.. Well the average person would be better served using a cheaper oil and changing it more often.

For myself? I am insane. I change the first oil change to synthetic at 1K miles, Then change it again another 1 to 2K miles.
After that once a year (as i drive only around 4K on average a year. and I may go to every 8 months since I got the turbo ST.)
I use Mobile One 5W30 Extended Performance for my ST
When I had the SE, I used the 0W20 Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy in it.
Greetings,

Wife just got a 14 ti 2.0gdi 6auto.
Have you noticed any mileage increase from the 0w20?
Will search, but is the fl-400s oil filter recommended on this engine too?
Is any deviation in oil/filter a warranty breaker?
I almost want to just take this little car in to have the oil changed. I have ramps, but im not sure ill fit under it even then...I blame beer...
02-22-2015 07:45 PM
dyn085
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
This is what keeps the argument going. Most know their car won't throw a rod just because they don't run top shelf synthetics or are lax on their oil changes.

But they want to do that little extra to keep their car for a while. Why not? It's a major investment and it's fun to take care of it.
I definitely don't disagree with people wanting to take care of their cars, what I disagree with are those that think they 'know' about oil arguing vehemently when they actually have no clue about what they're taking about. I mean seriously, we still have people that think a 3k mile oil change makes sense for daily driving.

And by 'hope to keep them a while' I mean not trade them off, not anything regarding Mobil 1 blowing up my engines, just for clarification. I have a tough time keeping cars around for a while.
02-22-2015 06:54 PM
wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Definitely gonna agree. I see so many useless arguments over oil, yet there are rarely ever instances of people posting that their engine seized or blew because of it.
^ First this

And then:
I'm probably going to swap to Amsoil in the ST's (currently using Mobil-1 ep) at 10k simply because I *hope* to keep these cars for a while.
This is what keeps the argument going. Most know their car won't throw a rod just because they don't run top shelf synthetics or are lax on their oil changes.

But they want to do that little extra to keep their car for a while. Why not? It's a major investment and it's fun to take care of it.
02-22-2015 06:47 PM
felixthecat I'd say just used a synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 & a good filter like a Mobil 1 filter. Change it once or twice a yr depending on the mileage you put on your car. As far as brand, like Castrol's Edge, Royal Purple, Amsoil , Synpower, ect I don't know. Filters= I use Mobil 1 filters. Again, IDK about K&N, Royal Purple, Wix ,ect.
02-22-2015 06:22 PM
Arco-Zakus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
... there are rarely ever instances of people posting that their engine seized or blew because of it. If/when you ever hear about it, it's because either someone never changed the oil or forgot to put some in during a change-not because someone used 10w-30 or went 10k miles on a fill instead of 7500. ...
Or because some part was just defective from the factory and its failure had nothing to do with deficient lubrication.
02-22-2015 06:08 PM
dyn085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
I didn't say they are politics or religion, just that they "remind me" of such discussions. That's because so many comments just repeat myths based on folklore, or opinions pulled from a bodily exit orfice, rather than being drawn from facts as you have done here. Still, there are plenty of people who have argued that somehow you or Ford got it wrong.
Definitely gonna agree. I see so many useless arguments over oil, yet there are rarely ever instances of people posting that their engine seized or blew because of it. If/when you ever hear about it, it's because either someone never changed the oil or forgot to put some in during a change-not because someone used 10w-30 or went 10k miles on a fill instead of 7500.

I'm probably going to swap to Amsoil in the ST's (currently using Mobil-1 ep) at 10k simply because I *hope* to keep these cars for a while. If so then I'll use UOA's to determine how often it's changed because it will be specific to my situation instead of some dude in Alaska or Arizona.
02-22-2015 03:54 PM
Arco-Zakus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
... This is neither politics nor opinion. These are Ford recommendations. ...
I didn't say they are politics or religion, just that they "remind me" of such discussions. That's because so many comments just repeat myths based on folklore, or opinions pulled from a bodily exit orfice, rather than being drawn from facts as you have done here. Still, there are plenty of people who have argued that somehow you or Ford got it wrong.
02-22-2015 11:40 AM
wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
By Ford, or by experts on the internet?

The owner's manual has the manufacturer's recommended intervals, but opinions among focusfanatics vary. Oil change intervals have been discussed at length in many threads (including this one) with much disagreement over the answer to your question. Sometimes it reminds me of discussions of politics or religion. Or about what is the "best" motor oil or gasoline to use.
Ford issues contradictory recommendations on this issue. The owner's manual will let you go up to 10,000 miles on an oil change while their general oil change guidelines limit it to 7500.

"2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first"

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil

If you read the fine print in the MK3 owner's manual, there are several caveats associated with going 10,000 miles on an oil change:

Normal commuting with highway driving
No, or moderate, load or towing
Flat to moderately hilly roads
NO extended idling (sitting in traffic)

How many city dwellers operate within those parameters? Very few. In fact, many people in big city traffic operate within the "Less typical driving habits" category. (Extensive idling, limited highway driving, etc.) According to Ford's general oil change guidelines, these people should be changing their oil every 5,000 miles:

"2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first"

if

Towing or carrying heavy loads
Idling extensively or driving at low speeds for long distances
Driving in dusty conditions
Driving off-road frequently
Using E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

This is neither politics nor opinion. These are Ford recommendations.

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat