Newbie to Focus and have an issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 280153
What I Drive: 2012 grey focus SE hatchback

Points 79, Level 1
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 techman2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newbie to Focus and have an issue

Hi all,
I just recently bought a 2012 focus hatchback with 79K and the auto transmission. I took it in for the emissions test and it flunked because the PO pulled the battery cable to hide the check engine light. Moving on, the check engine light came on after about 50 miles. It is throwing a code of P0507 (iac) and the engine idles a bit rough cold, and when warmed up it idles around 1500 rpm. I have been unable to find an IAC sensor on this car or much information on this problem. It acts like it has a vacuum leak. The fast idle will hang for several minutes before it calms down. I took the air filter out and replaced it. I took the throttle body out and cleaned it out. No difference. I called several ford dealers to see about getting it in to be looked at, and they are 3 weeks out. I need to get this car registered. I ordered a Chiltons for it. I am going to take the bottom skid plate off tomorrow and see if I can see the bottom side of the intake manifold for anything suspicious.
Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a common vacuum leak somewhere? I did notice it looked like the throttle body has been changed before, it had a number on it like it was from a junk yard.
This car is a blast to drive! The stuff I have seen here scares me about the tranny, though. I haven't seen any hiccups with this one yet. I have no idea what has been done with this car concerning TSB's. This car was built 5/12 I think, and is a E85 version of the 2.0L.
Thanks for any help you may have. James

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 20,853, Level 91
Points: 20,853, Level: 91 Points: 20,853, Level: 91 Points: 20,853, Level: 91
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 109 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Dang, no fun.

Only help I can give offhand is that the car does NOT have an IAC, so no point looking for one. Electronic throttle body handles that function instead.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 79, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
I took the bottom skid plate off today to look at the intake manifold area.....did not see any obvious air leaks. I got my propane torch out and ran the gas (moved it around to likely areas) while the engine was running to see if the idle would change.....no difference. Can't say I got in everywhere, but it seems less likely to be a vacuum leak. Also found signs that the transmission has been worked on...one mounting bolt was loose and ready to fall out, and another was gone altogether. Looks like next step is to wait for the Chilton to arrive. Maybe look for a Ford dealer in a rural town nearby, somewhere.
Thanks for your thoughts. I know not to look for an IAC now. I did see some kind of sensor nested up in behind and attached to the plastic manifold. Only visible from down below, and looks very difficult to reach.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145898
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Titanium Sedan

Points 321, Level 6
Points: 321, Level: 6 Points: 321, Level: 6 Points: 321, Level: 6
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 7-UP BILL Good Standing Member
If the car doesn't have an IAC, I can't understand why you'd get a code for one. The fact that you see a "wrecking yard" scrawl on the TB might be where your problem is. These new cars, ( since early 90's) have clear coated TB's. The only way to properly clean them is by wiping the inside with cloth and cleaner. I would remove it an attempt a cleaning first. My car has 26K so I haven't had many issues yet. Going in for my second DCT clutch now. You are still covered for that until 2022 and 100K miles. I'm gonna look at my TB and maybe suggest some more things. Check to see that ALL electronic connections are on and tight. Hope this helped. BTW, welcome to the forums.
1990 7-UP Mustang #1764 of 4103
Old 12-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 79, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
I found a Ford code breakdown chart on line somewhere.....it says possible causes 0507....

Intake air leak after throttle body
Vacuum leaks
Damaged evaporative emission (EVAP) system
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve leaks vacuum
Damaged electronic throttle body (ETB)
Damaged PCM

I haven't found a vacuum leak yet....still looking engine over. Just got Chilton in the mail and it doesn't even show 0507 in codes.
Bottom line is the engine is not idling right, little rough cold and idles around 1200-1500 warmed up.....drifts down slowly over several minutes sometimes. I am inclined to think the PO thew a junkyard TB at it to try to fix it....when that didn't work, disconnected battery to reset and get the check engine light off. I got a decent price on it or I would really be mad. I did take the TB off and clean it....it had a removable plastic plate on the side held on with clips. I was tempted to take it off and check the moveable pot (position sensor) to make sure it is clean and functioning right. I didn't want to risk breaking it.
Right now I am changing the front breaks and rotors. Going to look closer at the items on that list later. Thank you for any help. James
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 79, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Ok, I may have found it! I finished putting the new front brakes on and took it for a spin. Came back and parked it and got the brake cleaner out and started spraying around. I found a spot down near the throttle body but behind the plastic intake that almost kills the engine with a shot of brake cleaner.....It looks like I am going to have to take the plastic intake off and inspect it very carefully.....
YAY! That shouldn't be a high dollar fix, anyway.....
Old 12-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 79, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
I crawled under the car to look at the intake manifold closer. Hard to see in throttle body area (the starter in in the way) but saw that there is a vacuum takeoff close to where the TB attaches.....I took hold of it to check the fit of the vacuum line on it and the whole thing came off in my hand.....I could see where someone tried to glue it with silicon sealer....new intake manifold on order.....
Gi_Jo_Nathan likes this.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 265465
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Titanium HB

Points 234, Level 4
Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 PrDawg Good Standing Member
Well that just sucks.
2014 Tuxedo Black TI Hatch, Steeda Cai, Magnaflow Cat Back, Redline Elite Hood Struts, Duratech Stock Engine Cover, Black ST Wheels with 245/40 A/S 3s, Weathertech Floormats and Deflectors and Focus-Power Tune
Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 79, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
No, that's good news because an intake manifold is only $88 and it should fix it for good. It would have cost me that to just walk into the ford dealership 3 weeks from now and then for the repair and part much more. I am looking forward to this car running right so I can get it registered finally.
Gi_Jo_Nathan likes this.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 265465
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Titanium HB

Points 234, Level 4
Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 PrDawg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman2 View Post
No, that's good news because an intake manifold is only $88 and it should fix it for good. It would have cost me that to just walk into the ford dealership 3 weeks from now and then for the repair and part much more. I am looking forward to this car running right so I can get it registered finally.
Good to see someone willing to bring them back to life by their own hand.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
2014 Tuxedo Black TI Hatch, Steeda Cai, Magnaflow Cat Back, Redline Elite Hood Struts, Duratech Stock Engine Cover, Black ST Wheels with 245/40 A/S 3s, Weathertech Floormats and Deflectors and Focus-Power Tune
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.