ITT: KamelReds Transmission Woes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 253849
What I Drive: '13 Ti "Ruby Rose"

Points 554, Level 11
Points: 554, Level: 11 Points: 554, Level: 11 Points: 554, Level: 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 KamelReds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ITT: KamelReds Transmission Woes

This is mainly for me to keep track of what I'm going through(what we all are going through) and also in hopes that I can shed some light for newcomers.

A Little History:
-Purchased my car used with 37k miles on it, no TSBs had been done at this point.
-At 38,700 miles it started to present trans issues, specifically that it would only use gears 2-4-6 and would slip the clutch quite badly to engage them. (I have a video, will upload at some point)
-Dropped at dealer, they performed TSB 150120H (firmware update)

Now the car is doing an extremely hard 1-2 shift and slipping the clutch in the rest of the gears, I have scheduled an appointment and hopefully this time I will get a better fix than a firmware update.

Also, the service advisor told me last time that he's heard through the grapevine that Ford is considering pulling the DCT and replacing it was a standard torque converter. Don't know how true that is -- but it makes me slightly happy and very disappointed, as I like DCTs but also I will be happy to stop taking my car in every other week. Anyone else heard this?

I will keep this thread updated as things progress!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,938, Level 100
Points: 31,938, Level: 100 Points: 31,938, Level: 100 Points: 31,938, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to the MkIII Problems section.

Not easy to read your receipt, but I don't see them writing your description as the original complaint. They apparently didn't observe what you describe when it was there, but if you had that description on the original R.O. it might have lead them to additional/different testing.

"Replacing with standard torque converter" is still a rumor at this point for FUTURE models, it IS confirmed for later 2016 with the 1.0 ecoboost engine option (only avail. with 6-spd. for '15, early '16).

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 554, Level 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks! Thought I was posting in this section, explains why I couldn't find my thread. SMH

The advisor that I've been working with did a crap job of notating my complaint, which I do believe led to them just doing the firmware update instead of replacing the clutch pack. This next visit will determine if I keep working with him and this dealership or if I start looking elsewhere.

As far as the rumors, I knew about the 2016 EcoBoost, but he was talking about Ford replacing the DCT in older models instead of constantly trying to fix the DCT.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 554, Level 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Pulled the code it threw today: P285E - "Shift Fork Actuator A circuit high"

Hopefully they find something to fix this once and for all. :/
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,938, Level 100
Points: 31,938, Level: 100 Points: 31,938, Level: 100 Points: 31,938, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
That's prob. TCM related, since those actuators are part of that unit.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 554, Level 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
That's prob. TCM related, since those actuators are part of that unit.
I know. :D

The TCM decided to die yesterday (Labor Day). While driving down the highway the car popped out of gear, after that I could only get gears 2 & 4 and could only go 30mph as evidenced in this video(sorry for the vertical video, sideways. didn't realize my phone did that):

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dropped it off at the dealership this morning, the say they have a TCM in stock. Hopefully that fixes it for a while, at least until I can get the Rev F clutch pack.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 554, Level 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Dealership replaced the TCM, I hope the clutches are alright after how it was driving the day I took it in.

Experience was a breeze and they were quick to get it fixed and also gave me a loaner for the day.

However, I don't think I'll be going back to this service advisor because he knows that I don't like my car to be washed in mechanical washes and I have told him each and every time I have dropped the car off not to wash it. I also asked if they would be willing to throw in the new bulbs I bought for my fog lights, since they were going to have it in the air and it doesn't take long to switch them out. Service advisor said he would get it done and yet, the new bulbs still remain in their package.

I understand that it wasn't something he had to do, but when someone tells me they will get something done, I kind of expect them to stick to their word.

Anyway, since my wife is the one that picked it up and I am out of town for work, I'm holding off on confronting the service advisor about the car wash. If there is a single swirl mark in that paint, I will go ape***** -- I did not just spend 6.5hrs in August claybar'ing, buffing, and waxing the car and another 3.5hrs this past Saturday washing and waxing it for him to run it through a mechanical wash and put swirl marks in the paint.

We shall see how this goes.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 579, Level 11
Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11 Points: 579, Level: 11
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamelReds View Post
This is mainly for me to keep track of what I'm going through(what we all are going through) and also in hopes that I can shed some light for newcomers.

A Little History:
-Purchased my car used with 37k miles on it, no TSBs had been done at this point.
-At 38,700 miles it started to present trans issues, specifically that it would only use gears 2-4-6 and would slip the clutch quite badly to engage them. (I have a video, will upload at some point)
-Dropped at dealer, they performed TSB 150120H (firmware update)

Now the car is doing an extremely hard 1-2 shift and slipping the clutch in the rest of the gears, I have scheduled an appointment and hopefully this time I will get a better fix than a firmware update.

Also, the service advisor told me last time that he's heard through the grapevine that Ford is considering pulling the DCT and replacing it was a standard torque converter. Don't know how true that is -- but it makes me slightly happy and very disappointed, as I like DCTs but also I will be happy to stop taking my car in every other week. Anyone else heard this?

I will keep this thread updated as things progress!
2-4-6 is exactly what happened to me in my first three weeks. They gave me a loaner without being asked and fixed it, but as we all know, the fix(s) don't stick.
2015-VW GTI DSG, 2013-mazda3 , 2012-Focus SE DCT trans , 2006-VW GTI , DSG trans ,2002 Celica GTS 180hp VVT lexus motor , 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 with fact roller cam, stainless headers, etc , Triumph TR8, with Buick aluminum V8 from the factory

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.