My TCM failure experience - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 178897
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium

Points 138, Level 2
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 wizzells Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My TCM failure experience

I just wanted to let the board know about what I just experienced over the weekend when the TCM failed on my 2012 Focus with 46,250 miles.

I was driving at about 30 mph through a residential area at a steady speed (which was about the perfect time for it to fail) when I lost drive and the transmission acted like it just went into neutral.
When this happened, I had a check engine light, traction control light, and a warning on the cluster that there was a "parking aid malfunction" (or something to that effect).
Of note, my car does not have park assist.

So, I tried to put it in park, then back into drive, but it still acted like it was in neutral - the engine was running, but I couldn't go anywhere.
I then shut the engine off and tried to restart it, however it would not even crank over and I was now getting the same "parking aid malfunction" error on the instrument cluster display.
I also noticed that when I shifted out of "S" (sport mode), that the instrument cluster display still indicated that I was in "S" regardless of where I put the shift lever.

Some people have reported that they have had this happen to them intermittently and after waiting a few minutes, the car could be driven again - this was not my experience. It was dead. I waited 2.5 hours for a tow to arrive and it was still dead.

I used Ford's complimentary towing to have it taken to my servicing dealer in the area and they were able to look at it this morning to verify the TCM has failed.
It sounds like the car should be finished on Wednesday this week, which seems reasonable to me.
I can say that I am extremely thankful for manner in which mine failed...about the safest possible scenario. However, it does make my question why this hasn't been a safety recall, just due to the failure mode alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 138, Level 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Update.
Car was completed a day sooner than expected.
However upon test drive they found that the clutches are slipping beyond the allowable spec so they have ordered these parts. Apparently there is a 6 week backorder on them right now.
I have the car back with the new TCM installed and will drive it while awaiting those parts to come in.

What is interesting about the slipping condition is that I have had almost no shuddering on acceleration from a stop, whether the powertrain is warm or cold.
When the test was performed around 25,000(ish?) miles on the car, when I was complaining of severe shuddering, the clutches were holding per their test. So, the seal(s) must now be leaking fluid onto the plates is my assumption. Shocking, I know.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 138, Level 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup23 View Post
PLease, everyone experiencing these transmission problems, dont take it sitting down. Open cases with Ford Customer Service BEFORE shelling out ANY money for repairs to your transmission/clutch. Whether they tell you it meets certain criteria or not.. fight for your rights

Also follow the link below to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and file a complaint about this Focus/Fiesta transmission problem. Its an important step in holding Ford responsible.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
I realize you clearly have an agenda here, based on all of your posts on this forum.

Everyone should know these repairs have not cost me a dime out of pocket, including the tow.
I'm not an apologist for a poorly designed transmission or its components, but I've found that the quality of your dealer can make or break your experience. It was simply my goal to inform others what I had experienced so they have a point of reference for the failure mode and its symptoms.
Your mileage may vary.
dNo Focus likes this.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 213441
What I Drive: 2012 $E, 5-$peed

Points 1,599, Level 22
Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 dNo Focus Good Standing Member
Thumbs up >Thanks 4 sharing<

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzells View Post
I realize you clearly have an agenda here, based on all of your posts on this forum.

Everyone should know these repairs have not cost me a dime out of pocket, including the tow.
I'm not an apologist for a poorly designed transmission or its components, but I've found that the quality of your dealer can make or break your experience. It was simply my goal to inform others what I had experienced so they have a point of reference for the failure mode and its symptoms.
Your mileage may vary.
Hi Member Wizzells,
Thanks for your update. It's great that you have a quality dealer that took care of your problems without cost. (just not your time & frustrations)

I've also read many frustrating posts on this topic & I can relate to those with major problems & I sure hope that Ford steps `up and makes things right. (?)

What is the name of your dealer...They deserve some praise
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 243753
What I Drive: silve

FF Reputation: 1 fedup23 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzells View Post

Your mileage may vary.
They TRIED to put the $1600 bill on me until I took it further. How many others have been paying for YOUR repair like I would have. The problem is that they are playing the "meet certain codes" game with this transmission before its covered, which is crap. The problems stem from one overall component of the car that was designed very poorly. You had yours paid for (so did I) but that isnt the issue. Its the multitudes of people shelling out $1000s out of their pocket to pay for yours and my repair. Your attitude of "they paid for mine, all's good" is how they will keep doing business this way. (in THIS case) .

Im a Ford family (Dad and Uncle) /longtime loyal person.. but this is B.S. Hell..Id buy another Ford tomorrow if I could get out of this Focus.

Call it an agenda.. whatever..you say it likes it a bad thing to expect the right support after purchasing a $23,000 product.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 138, Level 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I'm sorry to hear about you having what sounds like a bad dealer experience.

I can say that after I bought my car, I had a lot of issues with it. I kept taking it back to the dealer I bought it from and when there were 4 things that they couldn't get right on the 3rd try, I was absolutely fed up. And we're talking little things that there were service bulletins that clearly detailed the fix. When I'm the one that has to bring in a copy of the bulletin, we have a problem. Having worked in a dealership service department (non-auto) for 9 years, I understand that mistakes can happen. I also understand that dealers are at times hamstrung by the manufacturer. 9 times out of 10, there are ways for the dealership to step up to the plate. These guys couldn't figure it out.

So, I gave up on them and went to another Ford dealer in town who has treated me as well as I've ever been treated by a car dealer in 18 years.

I also expect the right support from my $28,000 sticker price product as well. I can also step back and have reasonable expectations based on my professional experience.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 138, Level 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dNo Focus View Post
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]
What is the name of your dealer...They deserve some praise
Hiller Ford in Franklin, WI
Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Points 2,249, Level 28
Points: 2,249, Level: 28 Points: 2,249, Level: 28 Points: 2,249, Level: 28
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Hey, glad to hear you weren't travelling fast on a highway or something like that when it happened.

I had something similar happen to me and luckily it was on a quiet residential street. I've also just recently had mine replaced under warranty.

With Ford extending the warranty to 10 years, does this mean they're expecting the TCM to fail again?
Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 138, Level 2
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Hey, glad to hear you weren't travelling fast on a highway or something like that when it happened.

I had something similar happen to me and luckily it was on a quiet residential street. I've also just recently had mine replaced under warranty.

With Ford extending the warranty to 10 years, does this mean they're expecting the TCM to fail again?
What was the mileage when yours failed?
Not sure what their expectations are. I was under the impression that the latest units cure the issues that the early TCMs had, but I guess time and mileage will tell.

I've pretty much lost hope on this transmission. Mine makes hellatious noises on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd upshifts at slower speeds and lower throttle positions that would make any mechanic squirm, but the dealer's hands are tied by ford in most respects.

**edited. Misread dutd33's post.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 237762
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium DCT

Points 702, Level 14
Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 Scougar Good Standing Member
The problem with warranty work is that manufacturers only give a very limited time to complete the work, and pay poorly for it to the dealership. If there are a whole host of warranty jobs, it becomes a complete pain in the butt for the dealerships thanks to the manufacturer screwing up. I don't like the dealerships giving people the runaround, but this is just the way it is. They are dealerships, they are not Ford run sale centre's.
sailor likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.