2012 transmission failure - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102175
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Grey

Points 67, Level 1
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 vandinroth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 transmission failure

So i didn't know about any of these transmission issues until saturday when the transmission in my car failed with a check engine light and a message on the dash saying 'transmission overheating' followed by a 'pull over safely' and absolutely no gear engage.

The tow truck drive mentioned something so after googling, here i am. I never got one of the 'letters' about the warranty, but i did move in the last year so it may have gone to the old address or i would have taken it in immediately as mines been shuddering for hte last 2 years.

I stopped in my ford dealer about ayear ago complaining about a shudder on acceleration and this weird 'slipping' that would happen around 40-50mph or so sometimes where it's like the car would just 'skip'. And they told me it was all normal, this was a special transmission.

So now i see there is an extended warranty on the transmission. I'm wondering if that's actually going to cover this failure?

Basically what i was seeing was a check engine light just all of a sudden and then reverse and 2nd wouldn't work. First was still working and i think third. I was about 2 miles from home when this happened so i was trying to limp home only to have it totally disengage with a overheating warning at which point i coasted to the side of the road and shut it off and waited for a tow.

It's sitting down at the dealer right now and i'll go in tomorrow when they open as they were closed when it happened but i've been freaking out since yesterday that i'm going to have to pay for this. Pretty ridiculous for a transmission failure to occur in a 2012 model year car. Yeah it has 70k miles on it, but i lived 20 miles away from my job for a year and a half so it's all highway miles. Still though, 70k is nothing.

Anyone have any experience with the extended warranty and this kind of failure?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 13,939, Level 76
Points: 13,939, Level: 76 Points: 13,939, Level: 76 Points: 13,939, Level: 76
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 82 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Warranty extension covers clutch pack, seals & programming.

Hopefully that will be all you need, though it's possible something else could have contributed (actuator/mechanism).

If it figures it's getting too hot for some reason it really needs a break to cool off. Could have been gone then, might have worked again if it got a rest. Keeping going put too much strain on the one clutch still in use and it either protectively shut down or gave up completely. (slipping too much trying to use the wrong gear)

Can't guess circumstances from a distance (driving situation & whether it would have/will recover). Hopefully it just needs a new set & this will get you one making it better than it was before with an updated set of clutches/seals/programming.

If it should give such a warning again, especially in unusual circumstances like crawling in traffic/creeping up a hill, try to give it a break to recover. Keeping going when it's overheating can toast the clutches if it doesn't shut itself down first.

S.R. #275 Focus Takeover #003
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 67, Level 1
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
I didn't keep going once the overheating message came on. There was literally 2-3 seconds between the 'overheating' and the shutdown and i was going maybe 25 mph or so. I wouldn't think that short time would have done too much.

Funny thing is i'm in the market to get rid of this car as it's terrible in winter and i was going to trade in on a new fusion AWD. I guess we'll see how ford handles this otherwise i don't think i'll buy another ford for quite awhile.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Hammer Down

Points 13,939, Level 76
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
That's not the situation I was adding the comment on then, as mentioned it's hard to guess all the details from a distance.

Overheat warning often has something to do with the clutches, but it isn't a sensor just a computer warning based on other factors. Could be another problem.

FWIW if the TCM (transmission control module) that actually shifts the gears & includes computer control is at fault (common when it won't shift & CEL & other warnings come on) it's covered 'till 80,000 under emissions warranty. that might help if it's something OTHER than the clutches as that's an expensive piece.

Luck

Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Hammer Down

Points 13,939, Level 76
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Oh BTW - as it's not the main issue here, the Focus isn't bad in snow on the whole but some factory tires REALLY are.

MkIII section & Wheels & Tires section have some discussions on that.

Don't know what pkg. is on yours for wheels/tires, but at least one of the std. all season tire possibilities doesn't have a good rep. for that & ANY of the larger wheel combos is poor for Winter if not terrible. Some versions come with optional Summer Tires even in the larger wheel sizes.

FWIW - IMHO most AWD are poor in the winter as well, most stock tires aren't good in winter. Once you go for better winter tires, it makes more sense to me for them to be Snows & save others for Summer.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 67, Level 1
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
so i went in and talked to the dealership this morning and won't find out anything until this afternoon.

That said i'm rather disheartened by the fact that they played ignorant about the letter that went out about these and the extended warranty so i'm allready expecting them to do anything possible to not have it covered.

I thought that warranty work actually paid them pretty good.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,577, Level 37
Points: 3,577, Level: 37 Points: 3,577, Level: 37 Points: 3,577, Level: 37
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandinroth View Post
so i went in and talked to the dealership this morning and won't find out anything until this afternoon.

That said i'm rather disheartened by the fact that they played ignorant about the letter that went out about these and the extended warranty so i'm allready expecting them to do anything possible to not have it covered.

I thought that warranty work actually paid them pretty good.
Hi vandinroth,

Loop me in when you get your updates; I want to look into some additional assistance on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 67, Level 1
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
So the dealer just called.

Supposedly they fixed it just by updating the computer to the proper shift points.

I'm having a hard time believing they fixed that total failure just by updating the computer?

Does this sound accurate/possible? Perhaps i'm a little old fashioned when it comes to transmissions still and just am finding it hard to believe.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Hammer Down

Points 13,939, Level 76
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
With all the computer communications involved now, I've seen some reports of ones that had a problem & were fine after stopping & restarting - microsoft reboot style.

For others it can happen again, and that can be a real problem (obviously) if it won't STAY broken for an easier fix.

No time for a long dissertation right now, you can find more info. here on that possibility. Hang onto all the records to make it an ongoing problem for warranty purposes just in case you have any more trouble.

Luck

Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 67, Level 1
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
I have to say it's shifting way better than it was before. The shudder is all gone and the 'bouncing' when it shifted into 2nd is gone as well so who knows i guess.

Time to trade it in before it's my problem again as either way it cost me a 50$ tow and a massive inconvenience.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.