Focus Fanatics Forum banner

14M01 Ford Dual Clutch Warranty Extension Details and New TSB Clutch Parts!

523K views 2K replies 290 participants last post by  tbarney 
#1 ·
Well it finally happened Ford stepped up and extended the warranty of the Dual Clutch Trans also at the same time they came out with a new TSB with new parts! I explain what is going on......

#2 · (Edited)
14M01 - TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION

This applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

* Ford is extending the warranty (fully transferable) on the DPS6 transmission input shaft seal, clutch assembly, and firmware updates to 7 years/100,000 miles. This takes effect after expiration of your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

* If you already have more than 100,000 miles on your car, they are still extending your warranty until January 31, 2015.

* There is a whole new clutch coming out: Revision "F" The clutch is still made by Luk.

* There is a new input shaft seal, part number identifier changes from C to D.

* As of July 21, there is an all new software flash.

* Here is the really good news (according to Brian) If you paid out of pocket for repairs on your DPS6 transmission input shaft seal or clutch assembly because your car was already out of warranty, Ford is going to reimburse you.

* There is a new technical service bulletin released for the DPS6 transmission: TSB 14-0131

* Ford will be sending owners a letter with details.

Enter your VIN number here for info: (Click the Vehicle tab)
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=EDFC671CBE183F2F861A2AC232915209.fcvas503

#6 ·
Synopsis of what Ford has announced.

* Ford is extending the warranty on the DPS6 transmission to 7 years/100,000 miles.
Where did you get the information that the warranty is extended on the entire transmission?

According to the video, the warranty is only extended on the shaft seals, clutch assembly, and firmware updates.

#4 ·
Well my timing just sucks then... I dropped my car off saturday, and they said i can pick it up thursday. I wonder if i'll be getting the newest parts. Fingers crossed, but i'm probably going to end up with the D revision. As long as it works and drives properly i'll be content.

#5 ·
How about the wet clutch MPS6 transmission?

Well it finally happened Ford stepped up and extended the warranty of the Dual Clutch Trans also at the same time they came out with a new TSB with new parts! I explain what is going on......

Thank you.

Ford is stepping toward the right direction.

In other countries Ford also offers a wet-clutch version of PowerShift, MPS6. Is there any warranty extension on MPS6?

MPS6 has fewer complaints (most likely because there are fewer cars sold with MPS6) but it is not perfect either (I have recently seen a few cases of PS6 oil leaks and total transmission failures in Taiwan - but there is not enough data, as far as I can tell, to determine if MPS6 is proportionally as problematic as DPS6).

#7 ·
Any idea if it includes Canadian cars?

I had the seals changed with 6 cans of break cleaner on a contaminated clutch done a few weeks ago. And now have a new clutch noise and lag is back... This makes me want to wait a bit to ensure I get the rev F parts and not the C or D parts.

#53 ·
The extended warranty covers the D series clutch pack so even if they continue to update the transmission over time whether it's F,G or whatever, the conclusion I draw is that Ford has high confidence that the D fix will address previous problems. So far, it has for me, so I couldn't care less if they come out with another update as long as mine works the way it's working now.

#9 ·
Well a Fiesta wasn't in the cards for my fiancee's future upgrade but now it totally is! Thanks for the heads up on this!

#13 ·
Interesting. I was thinking about making an appointment to have my dealer check out my transmission for sporadic shuddering but mostly grinding on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift when going up hills. Anyone have an idea when the newest parts will be released? I guess I might as well wait for that.

#16 ·
I just want someone to get the reprogram and get us some feedback! I doubt I'll get a new clutch since I'm already at rev D. I can purchase the F revision myself in several tens (hundreds?) of thousands of miles.

EDIT: I should mention that I have about 29k miles on this clutch and I think it's starting to act up a little again, especially now that it's warm out. Just the usual low RPM, high load type vibrations - but nothing like before. I'm really just hoping the new software fixes it.

#18 ·
FYI called my dealer. They are fully aware as of yesterday of this info.

So for Canadian focus owners we are now on a 160,000km warranty.. I'm scheduling my car in for second week of August in hopes I get the latest parts..

Any experts out there know if they ship back A B C D ect parts when a new tsb specifies a new F rev? Just don't want to chance getting old stock

#19 ·
If you look in the other post, someone say dealers has been told to install Rev-D until supply run out and then start with Rev-F. If I were you, I'd specifially ask for the Rev-F...

Good to know they extend also in Canada, I was afraid for a bit. I have a 2013 with 17 000 KM ... with 5 more years of warranty I think I should be good... still have no problem yet with the DCT.

#23 ·
Well this is great news and I have to give a shout out to the OP for providing this update and for the videos and other input he provides -- just bumped his reputation.

I've had a few shudder events of little consequence but have known that I may need to replace the clutch at some point so knowing that they are standing behind this is a great comfort. It may have been tempting to get the clutch replaced earlier but since mine has been pretty good it made sense to wait for improved hardware/software and it looks like they are still making improvements with it now at rev F.

I'm at 33K miles now and if I can manage to 50K or so then get a new clutch/seals I would hope that would pretty much put to bed the concern about the dual clutch.

Now what will they do about the MFT for those that have it...

Brian

#27 ·
Note the date of June 5, 2013 in the dealer letter.

For cars built before that date, it would seem to indicate that the shaft seals have a reasonable chance of developing a leak.

Also note that this program does will not apply to cars built after that date (which means most 2014 MY Focuses).

#29 ·
This is great news. That warranty will cover the life of my loan now. Really happy Ford stepped up on this.

#30 ·
So, basically Ford is telling the customers that:

Transmissions built after 6/6/2013 use new parts and they should be (largely) problem free.

If this is really the case, then we should congratulate Ford for getting the job done. To judge if this is really the case, I think we need to poll 2014 owners and those who recently received oil leak treatments.

If you are sure that you have the new parts (inner shaft seals and clutch packs), please report your experience.

#35 ·
Does anyone know when the "Rev D" clutch packs came out? I, for one, had a "Rev D" clutch pack installed in September 2013 -- after the June 2013 build date cutoff -- though my 2013 SE was built in October 2012. And yet, that Rev D clutch still need to be replaced due to fluid leaking. They replaced it just this week, but used the same clutch pack (Rev D) and input shaft seals (part numbers line up) as they did in September 2013. However, they said the culprit this time was a different seal, which they claim to have fixed this time as opposed to last time. So I am hoping and praying that the reason "Rev D" and its new seals did not work for me the first time was that the fix was not complete, as opposed to that the Rev D clutch pack and seals do not get the job done.

Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?

#37 ·
Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?
Mine was done last fall and is shuddering and grinding again. I was going to have it redone two weeks ago when I was on vacation, but couldn't get the car to the dealer before we left. I have to get it back there again, but I think now I will wait until the Rev D clutch packs are out of inventory.

#43 ·
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.