Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Help? My Focus won't start.

12K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Hi all, waiting on roadside since my '13 Focus won't start and figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had any experience/ideas of the problem.

There is a red "i" icon flashing between the fuel and temp gauges, no response from the push button. The remote won't lock/unlock the doors, but the doors unlock if I put my hand in the door handle.

Just crossed 900km today and got my first finance invoice in the mail today (great timing).

Any help is appreciated. Hoping its something simple as it would be a major PITA to have to leave my car at the dealership indefinitely.

#5 ·
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Didn't work... Seems it's some kind of computer/electrical problem.

Car was towed to the dealership across town and I was dumped there. Dealership is closed, and apparently it's my responsibility to find my way home/know Ford's dealership hours. Car won't be looked at until Monday at the earliest, which sucks.

Unhappy about the car, completely livid about being stranded at the dealership. When I called back road assist the representative did offer to look up a cab number for me...

#6 ·
Good luck with everything. You can reach out to Ford's reps here on the Forum to escalate your issue and get a helping hang from someone on the inside.

#12 ·
Finally got ahold of the dealership and apparently my car has been in the shop since yesterday afternoon. The service advisor also had no idea what is wrong with the car, so that's not very promising. Paying for a brand new car and have no wheels is awesome...
Hi madaB,

I've contacted your CSM Nancy to let her know of the update. Please keep me in the loop with any updates.

Bianca

#10 ·
Finally got ahold of the dealership and apparently my car has been in the shop since yesterday afternoon. The service advisor also had no idea what is wrong with the car, so that's not very promising. Paying for a brand new car and have no wheels is awesome...

#13 ·
Dang.
Dealer won't give you a loaner?
Is this the dealer you bought it from?

#15 ·
Oh ok. Makes it a little harder to demand one.
I have to deal with that here. Because my local dealer couldn't get either of the cars I wanted. They've gotten me a rental before though.

#17 ·
I like to think I'm a fairly reasonable person. Things happen with cars, that's why there are warranties in the first place. As a first-time car buyer having it in the shop after 900kms definitely shakes your faith in the company and the car. We'll see what Ford does to make it right.

#22 ·
They got the Powertrain Control Module today, but that didn't fix everything and now they need another part, so the waiting continues... Service Advisor said he "hopes" the part gets there Monday (He "hoped the PCM would get there Wednesday, so not holding my breath). At least I finally have a rental.

#23 ·
Hope it all gets sorted out soon for you! Keep everyone posted!

#25 ·
My Focus had the same problem! I had the red "i" in the dash and a "Engine Malfunction - Service now" message on the dash. Took them a week and a half to figure out that it was a short in the PCM and it had to be replaced. The good news at least is that I got all the latest transmission and PCM software, so my DCT is awesome.

Hope it all works out for you OP.

#28 ·
Hi FX4life,

I reviewed your case and saw that your Customer Service Manager Tracy was awaiting a call back from you. I let her know that your issue was resolved. :)

Don't know if it's good or bad that I haven't heard from the dealership today. Usually they call around noon to let me know the part isn't in and they hope it will be there tomorrow... Car payment came out of my account today... Happy times!
Hi madaB,

I have updated your case to let Nancy know that you are still working with your dealer and waiting on parts. Would you like me to set up a follow-up call from Nancy?

Bianca

#27 ·
Don't know if it's good or bad that I haven't heard from the dealership today. Usually they call around noon to let me know the part isn't in and they hope it will be there tomorrow... Car payment came out of my account today... Happy times!

#29 ·
Hi Bianca. I really don't need a follow-up call from Nancy, as she doesn't actually do anything other than tell me what the service advisor already has.

Talked to the Service Advisor today and the ETA for my part is now Friday (So much for "hopefully Monday"). Not sure who Ford uses as a courier, but they might want to switch.

Hope they can get it fixed by Friday, as I'm going to be out of the country for a week and the car was supposed to spend the week at the dealership I purchased from to repair a paint scratch that was there when I picked up the car. Otherwise Ford will have to figure that one out because I'm not making an additional 6 hour round trip because they 1) Couldn't keep their product on the road for two weeks and 2) couldn't fix that product in another two weeks.

#32 ·
Hi Bianca,

No, I didn't mention that my car needed to go to the original dealer because I last spoke to her a week ago, when the dealer was waiting on the first part that was supposed to fix the issue. I didn't bring it up because I (apparently, foolishly) assumed that it wouldn't take Ford longer to fix my car than I had been driving it. If my car isn't fixed in time, then I'll have to talk to Nancy to figure out what steps to take to get the paint repair done locally. In the meantime, however, I don't need a follow-up call as I see little she can offer me other than a two question survey.

#34 ·
Oh no, I hope I'm not a member of this club now.

Last night my 2012 Titanium (21k miles) had an electrical meltdown. Initially, I unlocked the car, sat down, and when I pressed the starter I got the "key not detected" message. I then tried holding the fob near the column and starting that way and still no response.

Then chaos ensued and a whole series of messages were displayed both on the dash display and on the MFT display. "Shutting down to save power", some brake fluid error, "Vehicle transport mode, contact dealer" etc. I assumed that these were the last flailings of a dying battery as soon the hazards, the power locks, the back hatch, the navigation system all stopped responding as well. An attempted jump had no results and the engine wouldn't respond at all. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting additionally had no impact on the problems.

A call to road side assistance (they came to my driveway) resulted in a tow to the dealer. The tow was additionally problematic as without power, we were unable to take the vehicle out of park.

So now the waiting game begins - hopefully its a quick fix at the dealer (battery? hard reset on the electronics?) and not a fried board or some other part and a 10-day stay at the car hospital.

#43 ·
...Last night my 2012 Titanium (21k miles) had an electrical meltdown. Initially, I unlocked the car, sat down, and when I pressed the starter I got the "key not detected" message...
Hi hjordanc,

I want to look into this and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll check out some options to assist.

Crystal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.