Calling all those with auto transmission problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90856
What I Drive: 2011 Toyota Rav4 V6 7 Passenger

Points 917, Level 16
Points: 917, Level: 16 Points: 917, Level: 16 Points: 917, Level: 16
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 leomon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Calling all those with auto transmission problems

I see so many threads here about shuddering, grinding, stalling, throttle lag.
(I experienced all of these BTW)

I really think its narrowed down to one issue.

The clutch. I got mined replaced not too long ago. And have had many discussions with a Ford Rep.

All Ford Focus and Fiesta DCT Automatics are dry clutches. It is the seal that is the single point failure. The seal over time will leak transmission fluid into your dry clutch and spoil it causing the aforementioned issued. "FLUID LEAK ORIGINATING FROM OUTER INPUT SHAFT SEAL AS PER TSB"

The reason why it varies is that the seal could failure earlier or later and could leak just a little or alot of fluid. Hence some cars indriveable at 500km others at tens of thousands.

The reason why Dealerships claim that this performance is "regular" is that they lose hours on this fix. Ford will only pay them a certain amount and usually this transmission fix will take .5 to 1 hour longer.

What we can do, complain and take action. Ford cannot stand by and not do anything. We need to pressure the dealerships to replace our clutches and seals and FORD needs to come out with a permanent fix.

I suggest quoting TSB 111213 (Temp fix) and banding together and finding a dealership that will fix it, or complain directly to Ford about the dealership.

Fellow Ford Friends we have a 5 year 100k warranty, and I hope Ford will make a fix soon. Because right now, they are replacing clutches right and left.

We cannot stay idle any longer! we must take action.

Shall I suggest that we start a petition? Showing up with other Ford Focus owners and approaching the dealership?

We gotta do something!

The Ford Focus is a great car and unfortunately this issue has ruined the experience for many of us. If Ford can just buck up and have a permanent fix we will ALL be happy campers!

Anyone have any Ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,579, Level 37
Points: 3,579, Level: 37 Points: 3,579, Level: 37 Points: 3,579, Level: 37
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomon View Post
I see so many threads here about shuddering, grinding, stalling, throttle lag.
(I experienced all of these BTW)

I really think its narrowed down to one issue.

The clutch. I got mined replaced not too long ago...
Hi leomon,

Are you still experiencing any issues with your Focus? Your best bet will be to continue working with Ford Canada. They can be reached at 1-800-565-3673; I know they'll be happy to do what they can to help.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 917, Level 16
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hey Crystal,

The issue is whether or not Ford is planning to release a permanent fix for the transmission fluid leak into our automatic dry clutches.

Current fix (permanent?)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb11-12-13.pdf

my apologies the most updated one is
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-04-05.pdf
TSB 13-04-05

Is anyone above 60k km and has not experienced any transmission issues?

Curious,

Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,579, Level 37
Level Up 53% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomon View Post
Hey Crystal,

The issue is whether or not Ford is planning to release a permanent fix for the transmission fluid leak into our automatic dry clutches...
Hi leomon,

Since I'm not a technician, I'm not the best resource for information about service bulletins. I recommend reaching out to the service manager at your local dealership so they can assist.

Crystal

Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116070
What I Drive: Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 david3808 Good Standing Member
Hi leomon,

A quick history .. We noticed the grinding noise (accompanied by sluggish/stuttering engine performance) on our automatic 2012 Focus early on -- at around 2K miles -- but intermittently. It started to happen more often and by 7000 miles it was happening over 80% of the time (now, it's 100%).

We brought it into Ford and were told it is TSB SSM 32134. Now, I'm told that it was "within spec". (What BS!)

I called Customer Relations today and she called the dealership. Then, she came back and asked me to take it back to the dealership without telling me what they're going to do to fix the issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103552
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 1965F100 Good Standing Member
My 2012 Focus with auto trans is at a dealer now because of transmission issues... shuddering, clicking, clanking, vibrating, etc. The car has 22,000 miles on it, and up until 21,000 miles I was pleased with the transmission. The car is driven "lightly" on my commute to work each day. I average 37 mpg. It sounds like the clutch/es have been damage by fluid leaking onto them. The clutches are on a 2-3 week backorder, so the dealer is replacing the transmission with a new one. That's the kind of service I expect. I just hope the new one lasts much longer than the original one. Time will tell.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 917, Level 16
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Here's the thing guys,

For all you Ford Focus owners who think they dont have problems only time will tell. This effects ALL Ford Focuses and Ford Fiestas.

This is not a defective part they are swapping out, from my understanding they are swapping out and in the same identical seal.

And overtime this seal again will break and cause a leak into out dry clutch.

I didnt notice it at first because my clutch slowly deteriorated. Acceleration and throttle response slowly worsened over time. I only noticed it when I started hearing grinding noises. I bet if many of you rent another ford focus you will immediately see the difference. All you need is a little bit of oil to spoil this dry clutch.

The fix is replacing the clutch and and the seal but in terms of updated parts? We need clarification from Ford. We need a permanent fix.

Can anyone out there confirm this?

The TSB 130405 is that a "permanent fix"?

For all you guys out there with issues, post your km! Is anyone on their SECOND clutch assembly?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 917, Level 16
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3808 View Post
Hi leomon,

A quick history .. We noticed the grinding noise (accompanied by sluggish/stuttering engine performance) on our automatic 2012 Focus early on -- at around 2K miles -- but intermittently. It started to happen more often and by 7000 miles it was happening over 80% of the time (now, it's 100%).

We brought it into Ford and were told it is TSB SSM 32134. Now, I'm told that it was "within spec". (What BS!)

I called Customer Relations today and she called the dealership. Then, she came back and asked me to take it back to the dealership without telling me what they're going to do to fix the issue.
Did you try quoting the TSB above? Drive with the technician and show them the grinding noises. Be firm that this is not normal and you know this is a issue. If they dont believe you take one of their focuses for a test drive
Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,579, Level 37
Level Up 53% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3808 View Post
...I called Customer Relations today and she called the dealership. Then, she came back and asked me to take it back to the dealership without telling me what they're going to do to fix the issue.
Let me know how things go at the dealership, david3808. If you need me to step in and check out some options to help, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965F100 View Post
...The clutches are on a 2-3 week backorder, so the dealer is replacing the transmission with a new one. That's the kind of service I expect...
I'm glad that your dealership is taking excellent care of you, 1965F100. If you ever need my assistance, I'm always just a few mouse clicks away. :)

Crystal

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 3,148, Level 34
Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 dan50 Great Standing Member
I agree there are issues Ford needs to address; they have truly dropped the ball here.

One question: I understand how contaminated clutches could create grinding, shuddering and the like, but why would it have anything to do with throttle response? I have truly lousy throttle response in mine, but watching the RPMs with the driver's display in "test" mode I see no evidence of clutch slippage. I'd like to think this was the answer, but...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.