Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TSB 12-11-01 Posted Today - MFT v3.5.1

72K views 321 replies 82 participants last post by  dan burke 
#1 ·
Ford just released a TSB today for MFT. Offers an upgrade to version 3.5.1. The upgrade requires a new navigation card (level A4). TSB: PDF link. I, personally, haven't been having any major issues with my MFT to warrant an update (that could break things/make things worse) so I won't be testing it nor will I be taking my vehicle to the dealer for it. Unless there's an overwhelming amount of good reports on this version, then maybe I'll upgrade.

#280 ·
Do I have the very latest upgrade for my nav???

I just purchased a 2013 SE sport with MFT and navigation last week.

The car had a A3 level card in it, so I took it to the local dealer today to have it upgraded.

Here is what the invoice states (their spelling):

"Check on the navigation - it was not update - it have a3 in the system - did a sync update master reset and reflash the sync - then insall the a4 new navigation map sd card."

I'm not sure that I have the very latest upgrade for my nav because 3.5.1 isn't listed anywhere on the invoice - just the A4 card.

Questions:
1. With the A4 card in the car - does this mean that I have v3.5.1???
2. v3.5.1 and the A4 card is the very latest upgrade for my car w/nav...correct???
3. Will the A4 card work with the "older" upgrades???
I just want to be sure that my nav is fully up to date (no techie here).

Thanks in advance.

#281 ·
I just purchased a 2013 SE sport with MFT and navigation last week.

The car had a A3 level card in it, so I took it to the local dealer today to have it upgraded.

Here is what the invoice states (their spelling):

"Check on the navigation - it was not update - it have a3 in the system - did a sync update master reset and reflash the sync - then insall the a4 new navigation map sd card."

I'm not sure that I have the very latest upgrade for my nav because 3.5.1 isn't listed anywhere on the invoice - just the A4 card.

Questions:
1. With the A4 card in the car - does this mean that I have v3.5.1???
2. v3.5.1 and the A4 card is the very latest upgrade for my car w/nav...correct???
3. Will the A4 card work with the "older" upgrades???
I just want to be sure that my nav is fully up to date (no techie here).

Thanks in advance.
Quick way of telling can you see the outside temperature next to the clock on your screen? If so yes you have 3.5.1 if not you have 3.2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#283 ·
Well I still have huge issues with spotify and myford touch over bluetooth. MFT sends a skip track command to the phone pretty much constantly. I get to listen to about 15-20 seconds of a song and then it skips to the next. My only workaround has been to use the USB connection for my iphone. When I do that it doesn't skip. Never had the problem until MFT 3.5.

#284 ·
TehMark, this is exactly what I've experienced since I updated to 3.5.1. I'm kinda glad someone else has this problem too. I think it has something to do with the songs not starting at :00 like they should. Mine always start at 1:33 and so it changes tracks automatically before the song ends. I also use the usb workaround but I hope they fix this issue by the next version [?|]. By the way, it's not only Spotify because Rdio does the same thing.

#288 ·
I ordered some cheap knockoff iphone cables from china so it'll be less of a pain in the butt once I have more than a single charge cable for my iphone. (Stupid lightning plug) Yeah though, the track skipping is pretty out of control. I just wanted to listen to a new album that had come out which is usually a super happy time. Because of the constant skipping I was just pissed off for the entire drive home. Posted my problem on the ford owner board and I'm thinking of tweeting/emailing/calling just so ford has some kind of record of this issue.

#289 ·
Now I see what you are saying TehMark. When you first posted I was new to Spotify, I had only downloaded about a week prior to your post and hadn't had the chance to have even used it in my car at that point. I tried it based on your post just to see. I had no skipping issues. Hadn't really used it since then (I primarily use Slacker). Went back to it over the past few days after you posted again and did get the skipping issue. I have the freebie but after I first downloaded I was on a 30-day trial of premium. Again, no skipping issues then. Last Friday when I fired it up it informed me that my free trial was over. No biggie. Driving around though and yeah, I got the first random skip and the behavior continued through the weekend. Strange, none of the other streaming apps I use do that. I have experienced very rare skipping issues in other apps but it seems to me it is related to situations when I am leaving somewhere and my phone is still pulling a wifi signal and once I get down the street and out of range the phone switches to a cell signal and sometime it briefly loses connection, reconnects, and jumps a track. Sometimes if I am in areas of a really, really compromised cell connection it seems to do the same (I use freebies for all of these so having nothing significant in the way of caching for any of them).

I notice with Spotify that whenever I manually skipped a song, the very next track would start playing and eventually skip. I also notice that if I left the app open so MFT would just auto-connect and start playing on a subsequent startup, whatever track it picked back up on would skip shortly thereafter as well. Both of these happened 100% of the time for me. The other skips just seemed to occur at random times.

Tough to figure out because there there are a couple of variables, the app and MFT version. You said it didn't do this pre-3.5.1 right? What I do know is that Slacker (I use constantly), Pandora (I use occassionally), and LastFM (I use very rarely) have not had this issue w/3.5.1 or pre-3.5.1. I never used Spotify pre-3.5.1 so I have no idea but with 3.5.1 I now definitely see the behavior you and dragonpalm are seeing.

#290 ·
Tough to figure out because there there are a couple of variables, the app and MFT version. You said it didn't do this pre-3.5.1 right? What I do know is that Slacker (I use constantly), Pandora (I use occassionally), and LastFM (I use very rarely) have not had this issue w/3.5.1 or pre-3.5.1. I never used Spotify pre-3.5.1 so I have no idea but with 3.5.1 I now definitely see the behavior you and dragonpalm are seeing.
I used Spotify premium on 3.0.2 and it never skipped a song. The skip problem only started after I upgraded to 3.5.1. This leads me to believe the problem lies with MFT, but of course I'm not sure. On my car, a song will skip only when it doesn't start at the correct time and usually after I've listened to over half the song (it usually doesn't skip as early as you guys report). Very rarely, a song will start correctly at :00 and the song will play all the way through without skipping.

This weekend, while I was getting my oil changed, I sat in a new Fusion with 3.5.1 and tested out its system using Spotify and the same thing occurred. A song would skip after a few minutes into it. The salesman was quite perplexed but blamed Spotify.

#292 ·
Today I dumped Spotify. Fingers crossed for less issues with Rdio. Cheapest "fix" I could think of. Cheaper than a new phone, or a new car. Dragon, if you switch you might find this helpful.

http://resp.in/ will convert 100 tracks at a time from your playlists into Rdio
http://playlistmerge.appspot.com/ this will combine your playlists in Rdio so you don't have a dozen like I ended up with

This made the switching process pretty easy. I'll report back on my luck with Rdio.

#293 ·
Yes, let me know if Rdio works flawlessly. I pay $10 a month for Spotify premium and have been contemplating switching to Rdio too, but only if it works perfectly. I just know that when I was on the 1 week trial of Rdio, I noticed that it did skip songs just like Spotify... but this was when 3.5.1 was just released so maybe an update has fixed it. Goodluck!!

#299 ·
Tsb 12-11-01

Received the new SD card and downloaded the updates to a thumb drive. Installed the updated while driving home from work Friday evening....took 60min. to complete. Haven't gone through to check all system functions but will be using this week. Hopeing no new got-ya's.

#300 ·
This is not a complete fix, but for those who have the Spotify BT song skipping problem, try turning off Crossfade (set to 0s)and Gapless Playback (go to app, More, Settings, Playback). This has reduced the frequency of song skips for me a little bit. Now I can actually listen to a whole song sometimes [giddy]. Songs will still skip a lot though, randomly.

#301 ·
I did the 3.5.1 update myself and texting with my Galaxy S3 worked most of the time. After taking it into my dealer for service, they had to do the upgrade again to give me the new A4 nav card. Now texting doesn't work at all with my Galaxy S3.

Not sure why but I am considering doing the upgrade again myself to see if it starts working again. Any one had this type of experience?

#302 ·
This is strange... Why didn't they just stick the A4 card in? Because I don't think you can do the same update twice but I could be wrong. I tried doing it but when I plugged the usb stick in, it reported that I already had that version. My dealer did the update the first time and since I've been having issues, I thought that I could just install a fresh version but it wouldn't let me. Maybe it's possible if you install an old MFT version over 3.5.1 and then re-install 3.5.1 on that again...

#303 ·
Not really sure just what they did but they wouldn't just give me the A4 card so they did something to it. I need to find the download again as I deleted the 3.5.1 update from my USB drive because most of my issues seemed to be resolved after my update.

SMR says I'm current for updates and doesn't provide me any options to down load it again.

#306 ·
Hopefully this isn't the wrong place for this. Apologies if so.

I have the latest update on my USB drive, ready to go... but I seem to have a problem with the Nav card.

For anyone who ordered and received a new A4 SD Nav card - did you get an SD Card Fault message at all? I got my A4 card today and went to install, since the directions say to update your Nav card first, and received the faulty card error. When I replace the card with the A3 card it resumes working.

I'm wondering if I should install the update via USB drive first, then try the card, or if I have a faulty nav card. Just weary of doing things out of order. Haha. Ease my mind!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

#309 ·
I recently updated Spotify and today I was listening to songs on my headphones at the airport and it started randomly skipping songs. Sometimes a bit into the song and other times several songs at once. I'm not sure if this is just a coincident or not...? But your issues might not be solely related to MFT. Just letting you guys know. [:p]

#312 ·
I gave up. Cancelled spotify...
Me too - my subscription ends in a few days. I got it because it was nice for playing music offline when T-mobile drops my reception to 2G for about 10 minutes every morning (Racine, WI) and I only have 3G about 80% of the time - if I can get ANY data.

But since I'm switching to Verizon as soon as the new phones come out, I shouldn't have to worry about that nearly as often. I'll probably just use TinyShark.

#313 ·
Did the update from Syncmyride.com... downloaded but it took a GREAT deal of time once it hit 99% for the download.. Anyway.. ordered the new navi card from the site on a Saturday.. got it on Tuesday .. not bad.. All seems to work well.. and now they put the temp back on the touchscreen too. so I don't have to squint to see what the outside temp is any more.. SO far it's not giving me any problems..but.. I kind of learned to live with all the other crap that went wrong with the last version.. We shall see.. We seem to always be Ford (and Microsoft's) Beta Testers don't we... They should pay us all for doing it... hahaha

#314 · (Edited)
Kind of a weird issue after installing the update, and searching hasn't yielded any results.

After the update, I plugged the ipod back in and everything seemed normal. After a long period of indexing and building voice commands, I tried using Sync. The problem is, Sync now gets every request to "Play track X" wrong. Every single time. I was having about 95% success rate prior to this. Sync will recognize the command, but it will just play the wrong song. AND it will play a different wrong song every time.

To get even weirder, "Play artists X" works just fine like it always had. I had no issues at all before the update. Any ideas on things to try?

EDIT: I've tried removing my ipod, changing the songs around and having it re-index, but issue as persisted for two weeks now.

#315 ·
Okay, I just spent some time in the car trying to diagnose this further. First up, I did a master reset. This didn't change the issue.

After the reset, Sync was set to 'Novice' mode. Sync would verbally confirm back to me the correct track name, and then play some random track. Weird.

Well, that got me thinking. I checked my ipod, which was set to shuffle songs, and turned that off. Success, awesome! It now worked great. HOWEVER, as soon as I set shuffle back to on through MFT, it's right back to how it was.

Which really sucks. I like having my ipod going through shuffle, and if I hear a song I want to listen to, then I simply tell Sync to play it. Now it seems like the only way to continue to use it like that is to add the extra steps of telling Sync to turn shuffle off before requesting a track, and back on when I'm done. Such a dumb way to operate - I can't believe they'd take the time to update how their shuffle functionality works with this update. Right? There has to be something I'm missing here.

#316 ·
I just downloaded the file from the URL in the PDF file from the first post in this thread. It downloaded an exe file from a Dropbox account. I am a Mac user so I just dragged the exe file onto my USB stick and thought this would perform the update. I followed the instructions on the PDF, doing the master reset and then inserting the USB stick but nothing happens. Am I supposed to execute the file and then place whatever files it produces onto the root of the USB drive?? I got in my A4 card I ordered at syncmyride so I'm ready to do this update. Someone please let me know how to get the correct files onto the stick/what the name of the files are.
Thanks!
Derek

#320 ·
On a Mac you must reformat the drive before installing the MFT software on in every time. If you open Disk Utility you can do a quick format. You must choose FAT32. After that go to syncmyride.com and download the software directly to the thumb drive.

For some reason, if you don't reformat the drive, even it it was previously used or an update, MFT will not recognize it.

#321 ·
It has been a while, it may have been a self extracting exe. I definitely remeber extracting files to the thumb drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
It is a self extracting exe. It need to be extracted to the root directory of the thumb drive. The autoinstall.lst needs to be in the root directory and everything else in the SyncMyRide folder, after the extraction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.