Focus Fanatics Forum banner

6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?

58K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  Cleric670 
#1 ·
Considering buying a new Focus SE Sport. I like to shift for myself but I must admit in these days of cell-phones and traffic jams that automatics are less of a hassle. I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.

Thanks!

Cam

#2 ·
Well, I have never experienced it jumping three gears and havent heard anyone complain about it either. The Focus has plenty of torque to quickly pull you intothe optimal power band without having to downshift a bunch. Lower the rpms when taking it easy the better the fuel economy is going to be. Anyway, powershift has recieved significant updates over the past year. Imo, powershift never really had a problem, besides it could of been a little faster with shifts, it was really all public perception. Being used to smooth, slow shifting, lathargic, no feedback, torque converter automatics, people thought something was wrong when theyd feel their automatic shifting, especially at low gears (you know, just like manual trans). It wasnt that these cars were leaving people stranded at the side of the road, or blowing up, or chewing up gears, it was all really public opinion on how an automatic should be. And I think its kind of ridiculous for the media to be ripping down Fords credibilty and quality and listing it as something terrible (Consumer Reports) when there really wasnt anything seriously wring with it.

But to answer your question, 2013 should be just fine, I believe they smoothed out the shifts some and made them a tad quicker.

#3 ·
Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.
For the record, if I really want to pass someone in the SVT, I'll drop to 3rd..

And agreed on the Powershift being mostly a problem with public perception and lack of proper education for/by salespersons... "It's jerky at 1/2 mph! It rolls backwards! It downshifts funny! I was told it was an automatic! It's the devil!" [facepalm]

#6 ·
Greater mechanical efficiency, as well as better driving dynamics and greater feel. There is nothing wrong with the DCT from a technical stand point, although they really needed to better inform the customers at the dealership level what it is and why its different.

From a stop it feels like it takes a fraction of a second depending on how aggressive you are with the gas as the car needs to apply the clutch in first gear. It drives so much better than the 6F35 ever could, no slush box can match the mechanical feel of a vehicle with a clutch and the DCT has two of them.

#7 ·
I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.
Bad press from people with only bad experiences. You never see the praise, do you? Mine has been outstanding. I will do about 50/50 between auto and select shift.

Jumping gears 3 times. Any auto will "jump" gears to grab the most power when you demand it. Auto will really only "jump" down 2 gears. With the select shift I can pop it down one more if really need be.

That video you saw, must have be driven by a granny. It will purr around 1000rpm if you p[:0][:0][:0]y foot it all day! Which does save gas hah!

#8 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Ugh thank go they got rid of the 4spd slush box that plagued the focus for over ten years. I know some people had no problem with them, but earlier versions would est themselves, it sucks up tons of power, shifts a slow at times...I really dislike the automatic in my car. Its really not that great, let alone very bullet proof. So glad they threw a dct in the new focus, they set the bar for other Manufactuers regardless of the negative comments from the media about Powershift. Everyone is throwing in dct options into their economy cars now. Hyundais got em, Dodge got em...the more the merrier. DCT has proven to not only provide better fuel economy then a manual trans or traditional auto, but also potentially better performance then both.

#9 ·
Ok, went to the dealership and drove a PowerShift yesterday. Seems to drive fine and shifts smoothly, but it definitely does drop the revs as soon as it can so that the second you come to any incline it has to change a few gears. I have a feeling that a stick would be a lot more enjoyable with an engine this small.

The Focus rides and handles nicely, but I'm going from a Mazda 6 with a V6 and after driving the Focus I couldn't help but feel that I'm going to be downgrading. There are certain things on the Focus that scream "cheap", like the carpeting, the rear seats, the trunk liner, etc.

That said, the Focus gets much better mileage and will be lots lighter for towing behind my RV.

Cam

#11 ·
Ok, went to the dealership and drove a PowerShift yesterday. Seems to drive fine and shifts smoothly, but it definitely does drop the revs as soon as it can so that the second you come to any incline it has to change a few gears. I have a feeling that a stick would be a lot more enjoyable with an engine this small.
Just drive it in Select Shift mode. You can keep it in any gear you want, subject to min and max rpm limitations.

#10 ·
I'm thinking you should just get the 5-speed manual. I've heard that the shift/clutch feel is fantastic, and the trans is the proven MTX-75. It'll save you ~$1000 upfront (unless you get the Titanium), which is a lot of gas money that the Powershift would have to make up.

#21 ·
I can recreate on demand about 75% of the problems that most users here complain about. The jerky shifting, shuddering, erratic shift behavior, etc.

Then I can go about the rest of my day not experiencing ANY of those issues.

What did I change? My use of the throttle, and knowing what the gearbox is doing at the moment. If you're not deliberate with the throttle the gearbox doesn't know what the hell you're trying to do, and will constantly be trying to find which gear it thinks you want.

Ya'll can take that however you like. Maybe I'm one of the few people that has a gearbox that actually works. Maybe I'm doing something different then the rest of you. I would find it odd that my gearbox is significantly different then anyone else's...

#25 ·
I'm talking about the carpeting in the back cargo area mostly, but even the rest of it is not exactly high-grade. The stuff in the cargo area of the focus is about the same thickness as blanket off your bed, and it just lays on top with no edging. Maybe it's just me, but I think of the Focus as being a couple notches above a Yaris and deserving of better. I'll post some pictures of my girlfriends Prius tomorrow, which cost about the same as the Focus I'm looking at. It's more like the BMW.

Again, it's a small thing, but the Focus is not exactly a cheap car any longer. Many of the Titanium models are $26k or more.

Cam

#26 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Do these other cars have a cargo carpet accessory maybe? You want a thicker cargo carpet with stitched edging...then buy the trunk carpet accessory. Most cars have this as an option, because most cars simply come with the standard thin stuff every other car comes with.

#27 ·
Actually, you're right DK, checking out my girlfriend's Prius it is a thick cargo carpet lying on top of the cheap stuff, so probably an extra-cost option that came with the car. The cheap stuff in the Prius is better finished than that of the Focus, but after taking a tour of the River Rouge plant and watching those guys build F-150s, I'm not surprised. Can you believe that the 4X4 sticker on the bed of a pickup is just slapped on by some guy on the line? You'd think they'd at least have some laser light shining on there as a guide or something, but no, some guy just peels the label off a roll, eyeballs it and slaps it on. So much for precision placement, lol. Every time I see a crooked nameplate or logo on a car I laugh about that.

A recent test in one of the car mags mentioned how they had to finish clipping the door panel to the door when they got their car from Ford.

#30 ·
Actually, you're right DK, checking out my girlfriend's Prius it is a thick cargo carpet lying on top of the cheap stuff, so probably an extra-cost option that came with the car. The cheap stuff in the Prius is better finished than that of the Focus,
There you go Zippy

I am pretty sure it won't meet your approval but at least you can purchase a slightly thicker cargo mat[:)]

#29 ·
So far I been loving my '13. This is my first time with a DCT and I definitely notice most of the things that people complain about and I was never informed by the dealer of any of it either. To me it is just "different" but not bad. I was plagued with transmission failures on my '05 so if this technology is more reliable I'll take it over my '05 any day.

#31 ·
I have a 2012 5-Door Titanium. I will admit the transmission takes some getting used to and after 10 months I'm still not sure if I'm used to it. I only have about 4000 miles (small town=super short commute) and haven't seen the expected gas mileage yet but hoping that will come. My biggest issue has been with noise in the front end from a strut issue that was just fixed (fingers crossed).

Regarding cheap materials...I have leather seats and love them. I prefer Ford's leather to Chevy, Nissan, or Honda. As for the cargo area, I bought a a rubber mat to protect the trunk and it works for me.

#32 ·
Been driving sticks and autos for almost 40 years now. I have the powershift in my 2012 TI and love it. 13,000 miles and it gets better every day. Drive the car, don't let it drive you. It's NOT an automatic, it's an automated manual!

Don't know if this video has been posted on FF, but found it on the Fiesta forums. This is Ford PR stuff and gives a good laymen's explanation of the technology. Dealers should be made to show video to buyers of PS car. btw, it's a sticky on the Fiesta site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AX1DN04vZPk

#33 ·
Been driving sticks and autos for almost 40 years now. I have the powershift in my 2012 TI and love it. 13,000 miles and it gets better every day. Drive the car, don't let it drive you. It's NOT an automatic, it's an automated manual!
@wmprof: Any tips on how to drive the car?

I have a 2012 Focus SE that I just got, and I am coming from a late 90s V-6 Lumina. Having looked at the forums the last few days, I am becoming really depressed. I see report after report of transmission problems, replacements, etc. The whole reason I bought a "new" car was that I didn't want to have to have a constant worry. Now though, I have constant worry AND a car payment.

Coming from a V-6 automatic Lumina, and having never driven stick in my life, I am hoping that I just need to get used to the difference. Still, I feel like I can't trust that the car will get power when it needs it. My lumina had some engine issues, so I was very used to driving it with an insanely light foot. With my Focus, if I use an insanely light foot, it feels like I can't trust that my car will go forward fast enough for me to not get creamed by oncoming traffic when I am turning.

I am dreading that my transmission might well need to be replaced at any given point. Many people seem to have transmission issues within the first 5 to 15 thousand miles with this car. I understand that this is an automated manual, not an automatic...but I could really use any tips on how to make my driving experience better. I am literally having trouble falling asleep at night because I am worried that I have bought a lemon. I even had a co-worker ask me today what caused my change in mood, as just a few days ago I was over the moon, but now I am noticeably troubled (her words).

So, any driving tips would be greatly appreciated!

#34 ·
Number one tip would be to stop reading negative posts!

Most of the problems here are founded in ignorance, by owners and service departments alike.

Read up on how to drive a stick, then operate the foot feed as if driving a stick and you'll be fine. Remember the car learns from your driving style and the harder you push it the more fun it will be to drive. These cars get out of their own way just fine!

If everyone who loves their Focus transmission posted, the ratio would likely be 10,000 to one pro vs con.

I think you made an excellent choice purchasing a Focus and will enjoy the car for years to come. Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativism get you down!!

#38 ·
Most of the problems here are founded in ignorance, by owners and service departments alike.
That itself is such an ignorant statement. Unless you've actually driven the cars of those complaining on here, you have no idea if they're ignorant or have a legitimate problem.

If everyone who loves their Focus transmission posted, the ratio would likely be 10,000 to one pro vs con.
Did you know that 62% of statistics are made up on the spot?

I have seen so many negative feedback (in the US market) about the powershift.

Coming from a mazda protege 1.6L auto (which is named Ford Lynx from where I am), I switched to a Focus mk2.5 (2011) TDCi Powershift (Its a Diesel) and loving all 136 horsies and 235ft-lb power it provides!

There's significant difference in the 'feel' but in the end, you'll get used to it.

I agree to many posts here that its all about knowing how the tranny works and how it behaves from a given throttle input.

Anyway, the 2013 (petrol/gasoline) variant just came out here and havent tried it. I'm hearing good feedback about it (including very good fuel consumption on heavy Manila traffic)
Yes but you will have the wet-clutch DCT with your diesel which is a different animal. You don't know if our dry-clutch DCT drives differently or is more prone to developing problems like shudder, slipping, leaking, etc.

I only have 3,000 miles on my '12 (Had the car since Oct, I don't drive a lot), but lately it seems to have been on its best behavior. I might even dare say, I'm beginning to like the transmission.[:0]
Funny how the car's performance on any given day can change one's attitude right? Mine's been behaving lately too and I find myself significantly less annoyed by it! [giddy]

#36 ·
~8,000 miles and loving it!

I have seen so many negative feedback (in the US market) about the powershift.

Coming from a mazda protege 1.6L auto (which is named Ford Lynx from where I am), I switched to a Focus mk2.5 (2011) TDCi Powershift (Its a Diesel) and loving all 136 horsies and 235ft-lb power it provides!

There's significant difference in the 'feel' but in the end, you'll get used to it.

I agree to many posts here that its all about knowing how the tranny works and how it behaves from a given throttle input.

Anyway, the 2013 (petrol/gasoline) variant just came out here and havent tried it. I'm hearing good feedback about it (including very good fuel consumption on heavy Manila traffic)

#48 ·
2013 Titanium for us. I've waited to post on a lot of the topics here because I wanted to get a good feel for the car with some quality miles under it. We're just a bit over the 2500mi mark and things seem pretty good. At first, the car did the little "stutter" with the trans but it has smoothed out. I was paranoid at first and after reading the horror stories here, but happy to report that all seems well. I guess only time will tell...
On a side note... our's has the "click, click, whoosh" sounds waiting to fire up or after turning off and opening the door that has been discussed on the forum. We've just learned to live with it. I guess "normal" is a relative term.
Unrelated to the DCT, our Focus has developed the left front rattle during slow speed maneuvers transitioning between pavements that is a hot topic here. Guess Ford hasn't quite figured that out yet for the 2013's. At least now I know where to look.

#49 ·
As far as i can tell the "adaptive learning" on the DCT is simply the computer learning the tolerances of the clutch and shift motors to optimize shifting so it knows how FAST it can operate the clutch and shifting in relation to one another. The preprogrammed defaults have much slower clutch and shift response and it gets quicker as it "learns" how fast it can do the two.

Unfortunately the software seems to be total garbage on certain vehicles and the default mode works more reliably with less grinding.

#50 · (Edited)
This article summed it up for me: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2574

But it mentions "driving style" - which is what throws everyone off. I could see how me driving like a grandma all the time, the computer would say "Hey, he wants slushbox-esque shifts all the time." and then my clutch(es) falls apart because it's disengaging them too slowly.

But I have no proof that that's what "driving style" means. It could just mean I don't have the pedal to the floor at that point in time - not that it remembers how I drive (which would be horrid for a car with multiple drivers like rentals).

EDIT: Maybe this is better, it doesn't mention the dry clutch, but it does mention the UK wet clutch system(s):

The TCM incorporates sophisticated, adaptive learning procedures. After the prescribed running-in period the transmission will provide optimum gear shifting smoothness for all conditions irrespective of terrain or driver input. The transmission will adapt to perform within its optimum window of operation to always provide maximum smoothness when changing gear, irrespective of the mode selected.
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34131

#52 · (Edited)
I think the description in that article is only pertaining to a traditional hydraulic automatic since they control those shiftpoints and firmness by throttling the hudraulic pressure in the throttle body via solenoids (hydraulic controller). I seriously HOPE they aren't trying to control shift firmness in a manual transmission the only real way to do so is slipping the clutch thus reducing it's life.

The only Ford I had actually legally owned was a 2003 CVPI, but for a time I was responsible for daily driving my grandmothers 1999 Ford Taurus, and before that I was driving my Father's 98 that blew up the transmission at 106k, and was never quite right again after the rebuild. The tach on that car would shoot up to 6k and it would not shift properly until you let off the throttle near the end of its days with us.
That sounds like a faulty rebuild, either got a ton of junk in the TX throttle body, possibly reused filter or used a bad filter, or used inferior materials / damaged something and it was eating itself thus clogging the filter or torque converter or hydraulic clutches or hydraulic controller. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.