Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body

66K views 274 replies 84 participants last post by  rwifan 
#1 ·
I've been having a strange recurring problem with my hatchback. On only the right side of the rear turn signal cluster, the fixture has been rubbing paint off and squeaking. Here's the original damage from the original cluster:

IMG_4102 by silenthill2011, on Flickr

The Ford dealer did replace this cluster, but it's chipping again. It's not visible in this picture because the cluster is pressed tightly against the body (which is causing the chipping):

IMG_4367 by silenthill2011, on Flickr

Has anyone else seen this problem? I don't have a problem with the lefthand cluster--there's plenty of clearance between the plastic housing and the fender. There's not on the right, and the dealer says there's no adjustment. They're looking into options, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has seen this.

See less See more
#240 ·
I finally had mine looked by the dealer - although I brought in some copy/paste solutions from this forum, they refuse to read or listen. They claim they cannot rely on speculations on the internet. They need to diagnose themselves and get approval from Ford... even if that means, having to schedule 4-5 visits to address the same friggin' problem.

Anyhow, they gave it back to me with a shitty paint job...I could've done better with my touch up pen.

I'll keep monitoring and see if the paint peels off again...

#241 ·
Take it to a new dealer if you can then. Mine took pictures to send in to Ford and I got an answer within a couple of hours that they would take it in under warranty for a fix. That's some BS otherwise.

One thing I will say though, even after they 'fixed' my tail light, it was still rubbing. So you may have to just fight for a paint fix and whatever else they want to do to it, and then add washers to it yourself. That's what I ended up doing.

#243 ·
Did they give you a choice for the fix? As in touch up paint or a complete re-paint of the panel? I opted for the touch up paint because I caught the scratches early... but I could have had them remove the panel and completely re-paint it according to them and Ford warranty.

I assume they just touched it up and called it good for you... [mad]

#244 ·
No choice for the fix. I picked it up at the end of the day and they said, we fixed the paint. That's it that's all... When I came across my car in the outdoor parking lot and saw the touch-ups, I was like... "Come on... I could've done a better job with my own touch-up paint pen"...

I guess I can always ask them to re-do it...

#246 ·
I've just last week noticed this on my (used - mine for 3 weeks) 2012 SE Hatch, took it to my dealer today for some other work and showed them, it's quite clearly rubbing paint off and yet I was told "oh it's just dirty".

Luckily I live in an area with a large number of different ford dealerships so politely told the service guy I don't want someone who thinks that missing paint with visible chunks chipped off is dirt going anywhere near my car with a wrench and cancelled my appointment. I'll be taking it elsewhere to get it looked at and also making a call to ford Canada.

#248 ·
I have an appt on Wed. to have mine 'fixed' the regional rep has been great and Crystal was very helpful in directing him to contact me. The dealer is receptive to spacing the lens out with a washer (or washers). I'm going to recommend the 1/4 by 1 1/4 neoprenes that were listed here.

I'm satisfied that the spacing will work but am anxious about the paint touch up. I'm going to ask to look at the paint damage before and after the fix, before the lens goes back on. I can dab a little paint on. THEY can do better..

if my car had a couple years and a few thousand miles on it, I would do this myself. It's EXTREMELY annoying that it happened in 6 mo. and 6000 miles on it.

I'll post my feelings on the 'repair' afterward. Take Care

#250 ·
I have an appt on Wed. to have mine 'fixed' the regional rep has been great and Crystal was very helpful in directing him to contact me...
I'm glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction, Btravelen. Feel free to contact me if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

#252 ·
Dr side? Mine had the same problem, they kinda fixed it. Still looked like ass...

#259 ·
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Btravelen/library/Focus

Descriptions noted. Touched up paint damage and 'business card test' accomplished.

Didn't sand much off of area indicated. Be sure to sand in the same direction as the beveled angle on the back side. It helps keep the shape of the curves and looks good from the outside.

Take Care

P.S. I had an appointment at the dealer body shop today to have it fixed but I decided I could do it avoid the stress.

Crystal (here), Jeff (rep) and Carl at the dealer body shop were helpful. I'm sure the job done would have been adequate. (just not as good as mine.. [cool])

#260 ·
2012 Focus Hatch paint issue

Anyone else experiencing spots of cracking/flaking paint on the rear spoiler of their 2012 Focus hatchback? We have 3 spots on our Focus that are cracking and the paint is flaking off. Car is still under warranty but Ford wants to charge me $100 to fix the problems. Even my dealer was dumbfounded.

#261 ·
Anyone else experiencing spots of cracking/flaking paint on the rear spoiler of their 2012 Focus hatchback? We have 3 spots on our Focus that are cracking and the paint is flaking off. Car is still under warranty but Ford wants to charge me $100 to fix the problems. Even my dealer was dumbfounded.
Could a mod move this to General Technical Chat? I think I've got this in the wrong forum.

#262 ·
I know a few people have mentioned that the tail lamps rubbed with the body (hatchback). I haven't had such severe issues, but I do think the paint is weak. My dad's 2008 Escape has less rock chips in the 80k he's had it than my '12 in the 20k I've had it.

#266 ·
I have the taillight scratching the paint on the drivers side of my 12.
Unfortunately no more warranty though..

#268 ·
+ whistling side mirrors
+ all 4 doors AND hatch alignment out of spec
+ squeaking driver seat
+ all 4 front a/c vents rattling
+ something up in the sunglass holder rattling
+ audio would randomly turn off and refuse to turn back on...then randomly come back a few drive cycles later
+ driver window screech when going up or down
+ bad/whining alternator bearing
+ some grass or some sort of trash literally in the paint on the lower left rear qtr
+ 3 different rust spots bubbling up under the paint
+ speaking of shiat paint job, had more minor sand knicks etc in the first few days then my previous car had in almost 4yrs, and by 2 months had more then my 12yo truck!

Just absolutely horrendous for a new car in such a short span. A freekin Yugo would probably have held together better in that short amount of time! Obviously many people's cars are fine, especially barring any transmission/drivetrain complaints, but not mine! Mine was horrible! Best thing I ever did with it was got rid of the POS.

#269 ·
After the r/rear quarter panel and tail light replacement I had to go back and space the new tail light out from the paint, again. The new tail light had already gouged into the soft new paint.. [rant] While I was in there, I replaced my steel spacer washers with rubber washers. I have clearance all the way around and no lens contact on the paint.

I feel bad for those who don't know of this issue and have to deal with the damage after it occurs.. [:(]

#271 ·
I hate to revive an old thread but I just noticed that the right side tail light on my 2014 focus is chipping away at the paint on my car. I'm actually at my dealer right now having it looked at but they're claiming that it's not being caused by the tail light which is clearly wrong because if you push the tail light back you can see exactly where the damage is starring which happens to be where the tail light meets the car. They're going to take pictures and send them to Ford but the service manager is saying that she doubts Ford will cover the repair and that I'll just have to use touch up paint and fix it myself or pay them to do it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#272 ·
I hate to revive an old thread but I just noticed that the right side tail light on my 2014 focus is chipping away at the paint on my car. I'm actually at my dealer right now having it looked at but they're claiming that it's not being caused by the tail light which is clearly wrong because if you push the tail light back you can see exactly where the damage is starring which happens to be where the tail light meets the car. They're going to take pictures and send them to Ford but the service manager is saying that she doubts Ford will cover the repair and that I'll just have to use touch up paint and fix it myself or pay them to do it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using FF Mobile
My wife no longer owns the 2012 Focus, we traded it in for a 2014 Fusion because of the CONSTANT problems with the dual clutch transmission. However, we had an issue with the paint on the rear hatch spoiler of the 2012 Focus. It was flaking off, very weird. When we alerted our dealer for what we thought was a "no problem" warranty service, our dealer informed us Ford denied to fix it under warranty. The folks at the dealership told us they were astounded Ford had denied it. They even took pictures and sent them to Michigan. I talked to the regional rep and also sent a letter to the home office in Michigan. Ford would not repair what was an obvious paint issue under warranty. Like I said, my dealer just could not believe it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.