2012 Burning Oil! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96776
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Frosted Glass

FF Reputation: 1 2012FrostedGlass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Burning Oil!

My 2012 Focus is Burning oil! All my past Fords (2000 F150, 2003 Mustang, 2008 Focus, 2009 Focus and 2011 Fiesta NEVER burned a single DROP of oil....this car consistently burns more oil.. Just took a 3000 mile road trip and burned 1/2 quart. The car seems to want to stay 1/4 from the full mark, so I only fill it that far. If I fill it to the "FULL" mark, within a day it is to the 1/4 mark. I resolved that maybe there was a "calibration" issue with the dipstick...so I didn't worry so much about that...but now it's burning down to the bottom or "Fill" line..to the tune of 1/2 quart in 3000 miles... just about to roll over to 19,000 miles...dealer shrugs it off. WTF?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FrostedGlass View Post
My 2012 Focus is Burning oil! All my past Fords (2000 F150, 2003 Mustang, 2008 Focus, 2009 Focus and 2011 Fiesta NEVER burned a single DROP of oil....this car consistently burns more oil.. Just took a 3000 mile road trip and burned 1/2 quart. The car seems to want to stay 1/4 from the full mark, so I only fill it that far. If I fill it to the "FULL" mark, within a day it is to the 1/4 mark. I resolved that maybe there was a "calibration" issue with the dipstick...so I didn't worry so much about that...but now it's burning down to the bottom or "Fill" line..to the tune of 1/2 quart in 3000 miles... just about to roll over to 19,000 miles...dealer shrugs it off. WTF?
That's not right and I would take it straight back to them and refuse no for an answer. If they still refuse then find another dealership.

On a side note I think I saw a thread someplace on here that talked about adding a catch somewhere which I think picked up oil from somewhere. If I can find it again I will provide a link.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,489, Level 99
Points: 29,489, Level: 99 Points: 29,489, Level: 99 Points: 29,489, Level: 99
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We've had a couple of '12 owners who've had problems with the dipstick tube being loose, and another with a problem with the oil fill cap. Regardless, you should take it back to the dealer. Burning that much oil should show up in an exhaust sniffer test.

If you have problems with your dealer, or you think that they are not holding up their end of the bargain- please contact our Ford Customer Service rep Noemi using FordCustomerService as a screen name.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 4,079, Level 40
Points: 4,079, Level: 40 Points: 4,079, Level: 40 Points: 4,079, Level: 40
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
My 2012 Focus is Burning oil....but now it's burning down to the bottom or "Fill" line..to the tune of 1/2 quart in 3000 miles... just about to roll over to 19,000 miles...
Hello 2012FrostedGlass,

Letís see what I can do from my side. Please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN, so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
If you have problems with your dealer, or you think that they are not holding up their end of the bargain- please contact our Ford Customer Service rep Noemi using FordCustomerService as a screen name.
Morning whynotthinkwhynot,

Thanks for bringing the OP concern to my attention. You are tops in my book!

Take care everyone!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
How are you checking the oil level? Always hot? Always cold? How long after shutting the engine off are you waiting before you pull the stick? Some motors take considerably longer for the oil to drain back to the pan than others....

I'm not suggesting you don't know what you're doing but most people don't understand that there are several things that need to be considered when doing something as simple as using a dipstick to check oil. Plus, nowdays the oils are very thin and are harder to get an reliable reading on the stick.

Oil has a viscosity index improver that gives us the "W" in the blend. This improver's molecules expand when they are heated and oil will literally "grow" in level as it heats. This is why you conventionally check trans fluid levels when the motor is hot. If you are checking your levels on a cold motor, the level should be at the bottom hash mark on the stick. The upper mark represents approximate hot engine oil levels. Sounds simple but you have to consider the fact that your temp gauge in the cluster is a buffered version of inferred cylinder head temperature. Rarely are coolant temp sensors used anymore and even if it where a coolant temp input.....we are talking oil temp. Oil is at full temp after the engine has been run under load for a significant period of time. Just because your temp gauge reads "normal" doesn't mean your oil is up to it's acceptable (nominal) warm temp.

My point is that although you may see your oil level "fluctuating" it may in fact be a matter of different oil temps and thus different degrees of oil expansion.

Ford's oil consumption specificaiton is 1qt per 1500 miles. I know it seems extremely liberal but that's what it is. I find it hard to belive a car that burns that amount of oil will pass a 5 gas test...but the spec is the spec. For comparison...Toyota's is 1qt per 800 miles!

As a technician, your oil level is good if it is within the hash marks at any given time. An oil consumption test is performed by changing the oil, filling it exactly 1 quart below spec. A scribe mark to indicate exactly 1qt low is put on the stick. Then it is filled to spec. A paint seal is placed on the drain plug and oil filter to identify any tampering with the test. You drive your car (without checking or changing ANYTHING) for 1500 miles. When you return, the vehicle is allowed to sit overnight (scribe marks where referenced on a cold motor). Next morning, a tech pulls the dipstick and if your oil level is above the 1qt low scribe mark - no further testing is done.

If you truly have a consumption issue the dealer and Ford should make it right. I hope the best for you....but in an effort to save your time and hassle I figured I'd share what I know.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
How are you checking the oil level? Always hot? Always cold? How long after shutting the engine off are you waiting before you pull the stick? Some motors take considerably longer for the oil to drain back to the pan than others....

I'm not suggesting you don't know what you're doing but most people don't understand that there are several things that need to be considered when doing something as simple as using a dipstick to check oil. Plus, nowdays the oils are very thin and are harder to get an reliable reading on the stick.

Oil has a viscosity index improver that gives us the "W" in the blend. This improver's molecules expand when they are heated and oil will literally "grow" in level as it heats. This is why you conventionally check trans fluid levels when the motor is hot. If you are checking your levels on a cold motor, the level should be at the bottom hash mark on the stick. The upper mark represents approximate hot engine oil levels. Sounds simple but you have to consider the fact that your temp gauge in the cluster is a buffered version of inferred cylinder head temperature. Rarely are coolant temp sensors used anymore and even if it where a coolant temp input.....we are talking oil temp. Oil is at full temp after the engine has been run under load for a significant period of time. Just because your temp gauge reads "normal" doesn't mean your oil is up to it's acceptable (nominal) warm temp.

My point is that although you may see your oil level "fluctuating" it may in fact be a matter of different oil temps and thus different degrees of oil expansion.

Ford's oil consumption specificaiton is 1qt per 1500 miles. I know it seems extremely liberal but that's what it is. I find it hard to belive a car that burns that amount of oil will pass a 5 gas test...but the spec is the spec. For comparison...Toyota's is 1qt per 800 miles!

As a technician, your oil level is good if it is within the hash marks at any given time. An oil consumption test is performed by changing the oil, filling it exactly 1 quart below spec. A scribe mark to indicate exactly 1qt low is put on the stick. Then it is filled to spec. A paint seal is placed on the drain plug and oil filter to identify any tampering with the test. You drive your car (without checking or changing ANYTHING) for 1500 miles. When you return, the vehicle is allowed to sit overnight (scribe marks where referenced on a cold motor). Next morning, a tech pulls the dipstick and if your oil level is above the 1qt low scribe mark - no further testing is done.

If you truly have a consumption issue the dealer and Ford should make it right. I hope the best for you....but in an effort to save your time and hassle I figured I'd share what I know.
Always check cold (after sitting overnight) on a level surface to get the most accurate reading. I always make sure the dipstick is seated firmly, since it is going into a plastic hole. What bothers me is all my previous Fords, and my F150 never fluctuate, never burn a single drop, even on extended drains. My 2011 Fiesta was spot on every time, on the 10,000 mile change. My previous (08 and 09 Foci with 2.0 l) never ever burned a drop. My 2003 Mustang had 60,000 miles and never burned a drop.......
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:
Always check cold (after sitting overnight) on a level surface to get the most accurate reading. I always make sure the dipstick is seated firmly, since it is going into a plastic hole. What bothers me is all my previous Fords, and my F150 never fluctuate, never burn a single drop, even on extended drains. My 2011 Fiesta was spot on every time, on the 10,000 mile change. My previous (08 and 09 Foci with 2.0 l) never ever burned a drop. My 2003 Mustang had 60,000 miles and never burned a drop.......
Good deal. I've never had a car that burns oil and I've only owned a few nonFords.

My 03 focus is odd when it comes to oil level because I've noticed that in addition to getting a reliable reading on the stick.... it literally takes 4 or 5 minutes for it all to drain out of the heads and back to the pan.

If your level is at the bottom mark cold - it isn't low. And you can expect Ford to invest little time diagnosing a .5qt loss in 3000 miles. Sucks I suppose, but it is what it is. Could be worse, could have a Toyota burning a quart every 900 miles.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Points 1,919, Level 26
Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
It really depends on what Ford considers "normal". Chrysler considers 1 quarter per 750 mils "normal" on some of their vehicles.

My 2011 2.0 Duratec is always the same. Except for when I drain the oil to change it, then, for a few minutes it's empty.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

It's just odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
It really depends on what Ford considers "normal". Chrysler considers 1 quarter per 750 mils "normal" on some of their vehicles.

My 2011 2.0 Duratec is always the same. Except for when I drain the oil to change it, then, for a few minutes it's empty.
The fact that I have never had another Ford "Burn" or "Consume" oil is quite frustrating. Also, My 08 and 09 2.0l duratec's you could take a white cloth inside the tailpipe and it would come out clean...no soot whatsoever...the same with my 09 F150 with the 4.62v V8....tailpipe is clean metal..no soot...
My 2012 Focus has black soot in the tailpipe.....Note...the 2011 Fiesta also had soot in the tailpipe, but consumed "zero" oil. Of course I understand the engine in the Fiesta is basically an old design with TiVct added.....basically a Zetec. Oh well.....If they can't/won't fix it...I will trade it. I drive 160 miles a day, and I don't want to worry about sitting on the side of the road!

The upside to the trip was 3000 miles...4 adults, 1 child and a trunkload of bags saw 37.9 MPG! Lots of Mountains in PA, VA and TN.....could hold 75 at about 2650rpm climbing the hills.....with that kind of load is impressive of the 2.0l.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 16,941, Level 83
Points: 16,941, Level: 83 Points: 16,941, Level: 83 Points: 16,941, Level: 83
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 93 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Hey there, just thought of one thing to mention, from a model that's different than yours, but MAY act the same.

On my car, I CAN'T get a good reading just from pulling the stick after it has set a while (works on MOST vehicles), i have to pull it, wipe it & reinsert to get an accurate reading.

If I just pull the stick, it registers a quart low (bottom of 'hash" mark), but when wiped & reinstalled it shows normal level....

FWIW

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.