Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB?

69K views 254 replies 59 participants last post by  1kb65 
#1 ·
I took the car in for the steering wander at highway speeds issue. Initially, it was not covered by the previous TSB for the problem as it was a later build date - 29.11.2011.

Install Steering Gear per TSB 12-02-17
Replaced Rack Assembly as per TSB 12-02-17

#2 ·
Our Focus was built 12/1/2011. It definitely exhibits the "breakover" force issue steering from just R of neutral to L and then back again from just L of neutral to R at highway speeds.

Was this what you were experiencing? Did this fix it?

Does anybody know the root cause of this? Are the new parts different/better? Installed differently? The effectivity of this TSB seems to keep changing to pick up more, later, dates. You'd think they'd get tired of building cars with this problem and then having to pay out in warranty claims to fix them in the field.

(of course, I'm also the guy with a BMW with the N54 engine and the much discussed chronic "no problem here" high pressure fuel pump that they redesigned and campaigned and denied and redesigned and denied and ultimately recalled across four or five different models and three or four model years.)

#4 ·
I know! They should leave it off the cars until they have it figured out. How much of an economy gain is there? Wonder if it's worth the trade-off.

That said, once you have the steering gear changed (as I have), the car will drive much better. But, it's still not as good as a hydraulic setup.

#7 ·
I too am experiencing this issue, but it is at low speeds, not highway speeds like the TSB indicates. Just started happening a couple weeks ago. Thought I was just tired and wasn't paying attention since I just changed work shifts, but it is definitely the car itself. Build date is 8/30/11. Since I haven't had time to get these things looked at (this isn't my only issue) I am probably going to take a day or two off work to get these issues fixed all in one go since it seems most are covered by one TSB or another.

#10 ·
My parts are on order and they said back order for 30 days

#11 ·
Here is the parts list off of my invoice:

W715491-S442 BOLT 52614 (2X)
W520203-S442 NUT - H 508953 (2X)
W520415-S442 NUT - 513464 (2X)
W520113-S442 NUT - H 550178 (2X)
CV6Z-00812-A BOLT 512930 (2X)
BV6Z-3504-CE GEAR AS 561396 (1X)
W714807-S900 BOLT 506728 (3X)
XL-14 FLUID (3X)

#17 ·
Mine goes in Monday. I contacted my dealer a couple weeks ago about it and they finally got all the parts in yesterday. Said they will need the car about a day and would provide a rental for me. Looking fwd to the fix. Mine is a bear sometimes on speeds of 70+ Its like driving in a constant crosswind but from both side of the car.

#19 ·
I am having this same exact issue. It's so hard sometimes to keep the car straight... and I look at other cars and they're not having the same issue. It sometimes gets really scary when you're in-between two big cars or semis.

I sent a PM to Ford CS so I can get help to get all this fixed.

#20 ·
I just dropped my car off this morning for the TSB as well as asking them if they would apply any updates avail for my DCT Transmission.

I know the exact feeling you described about how scary it is when your next to a big truck or near a cement divider. I can't wait to get my car back. They put me in a brand new F150 Supercrew and it feels like a TANK compared to my little rocket. :)

#23 ·
Lol. Yep. What a tank too.

So I got a call about 30 mins ago that my car is ready. I totally didn't expect it would be ready that soon. They also told me there was an update avail for my dct tranny that they applied as well. Can't wait to get back and return this F150.
I will report back my experience with the fix later tonight.

#26 ·
Hey guys. Sorry I waited so long to respond. @DW - My build date is 12/11.

So I arrived at the dealership and picked up my car. Not only did they resolve the steering issue they also applied a very noticeable PCM update on my DCT Transmission.

My drive home was FANTASTIC!. Guys its like a completely new car!. The steering is perfect now!. You can literally just relax and just hold the steering with 2 fingers and it no longer pulls like before. Amazing difference.

Also the Tranny update resolved my shudder I could hear and feel on take offs. It seems to have also improved performance too. The tranny seems to almost anticapte your next move LOL and if you need to pick up speed a little it is more than happy to drop a gear way quicker than it did before and keep the engine in the peak torque and then quickly drop back to 6th. It truly feels like your driving a manual without having to push a clutch in, etc.

I think anyone that's eligible for these TSB's should definitely get them done!

-Brian.

#29 ·
Wow Paul. Mine was repaired same day. My dealer even put me in a rental which was a nightmare of it's own (not their fault) but I got my car back by the end of the day. You are right though. It now drives like a normal car. LOVE IT!

#38 ·
A Ford Customer Service Manager called me at 9 am this morning... great customer service! I was very pleased. They're going to cover a rental and check with the dealer to try and have my car ready by the weekend.

Having Noemi here as a liaison to these awesome customer service managers is an invaluable service. I really do appreciate it!

#41 ·
I brought my focus in this morning at 8 to get this TSB fixed. They ordered the parts last week and set the appointment date. I showed up and they had no idea what the TSB was for. The steering gear that needs to be replaced is the whole rack and pinion. They told me it was a 3 hour job so I drove it up here to wait. Needless to say at 1000 they pulled it in to the shop. I ask about getting a rental and they said they don't have any. They are all being used. So now I'm stuck at the dealership since 8 and they don't know when it will be done. Just wanted to let everyone know what's up.

#51 ·
You have a good service dept there, many of Ford service would of told you that lowering your Focus caused the problem, and others would of charged you for the extra time it took.

Glad to hear there's some good Ford Service Centers out there..

#52 ·
Is this the same problem?

I've seen this TSB and tried to figure out if its the same issue I'm seeing.

When I drive on the freeway (especially on the "striped" concrete they use here in MI for cold weather) the car feels like it's quickly drifting left or right with no steering input, but doesn't seem to happen on smoother asphalt surfaces.

I don't have to manually recenter the car necessarily (I see people mentioning getting "a workout" having to keep the car straight), but it's really annoying (and will even make you motion sick after a while when it bobs back and forth).

I thought it might be something like the tires just trying to grip the surface and it pushes the car back and forth (heard that's a problem on increasingly larger tires), but don't want to lose my car and have it torn apart if it's not the same thing.

Thanks for any input.

#53 ·
I've seen this TSB and tried to figure out if its the same issue I'm seeing.

When I drive on the freeway (especially on the "striped" concrete they use here in MI for cold weather) the car feels like it's quickly drifting left or right with no steering input, but doesn't seem to happen on smoother asphalt surfaces.

I don't have to manually recenter the car necessarily (I see people mentioning getting "a workout" having to keep the car straight), but it's really annoying (and will even make you motion sick after a while when it bobs back and forth).

I thought it might be something like the tires just trying to grip the surface and it pushes the car back and forth (heard that's a problem on increasingly larger tires), but don't want to lose my car and have it torn apart if it's not the same thing.

Thanks for any input.
That's exactly what I was experiencing. I took her in and they said the TSB applies.

#61 · (Edited)
I've called my dealer service mgr and told them about my steering and it's at 65+ mph and on cement interstate driving. I just received back that they ordered the parts for fixing this and will take it in when they call me that the parts are in.

I do think that the new electric steering, bigger tires (17") and road surfaces plus speed of 65+ makes this condition. I think anyone else that is having this steering issue at 45 mph or under has a tire issue or possible rims out of round. Having the front end realigned might help also.

My build date was March 2011

#62 ·
I've called my dealer service mgr and told them about my steering and it's at 65+ mph and on cement interstate driving. I just received back that they ordered the parts for fixing this and will take it in when they call me that the parts are in.

I do think that the new electric steering, bigger tires (17") and road surfaces plus speed of 65+ makes this condition. I think anyone else that is having this steering issue at 45 mph or under has a tire issue or possible rims out of round. Having the front end realigned might help also.

My build date was March 2012
Of course they want me to drop it off and they drive it to replicate the issue BEFORE they do anything. Of course it will not do it for their short test drive and they will tell me how unless they can replicate it they can not fix it....even though there is a TSB about it! I f'ing hate this crap! I paid a lot of money for this car and it has been in the shop twice in the last month. Now they want me to drop it off AGAIN just to drive it! I mean it does it, why can they not believe what I am saying and simply order the parts? I am getting tired of the issues on this NEW car. [:(!]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.