Focus Fanatics Forum banner

NO indicator for winshield wiper fluid

49K views 212 replies 76 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ti fully loaded

This thing has the most advanced MFT system and it parks it's self, but had no indicator for windshield fluid what gives?

#97 ·
Technically my car did not conform to the TSB's dates... It's a 2/13/12 build... So there was the slight chance I had the right software and there was (now obviously) a different reason.

#98 ·
It's good that we're finding there's another issue with this system. It's not good that there are multiple issues with it.
Posted via FF Mobile

#99 ·
Just ran out of fluid a couple days ago and haven't seen any indicator that it's low/empty. Guess I'll add this onto my next visit. Anyone come up with a way to easily visually check the level to see how low it actually is? Mine is obviously empty since nothing is coming out at all anymore, but just wondering.

#101 ·
Hi forceflow2,

You should be able to visually check your level of windshield washer fluid and determine whether or not it needs to be filled. Check out pages 339 and 340 of your Owner's Manual (5th printing) for specifics on reservoir location and fluid replacement. You can get a copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

-Crystal [:)]

#103 ·
I told my dealer I didn't get a warning (because I didn't...) and they corrected/updated the module parameter for me. ^_^

#104 ·
I ran out of fluid a couple days ago too and haven't seen any indicator or warning saying it was either low or empty. I noticed this when I actually got the car back in nov '11 but said to myself that this ''fonction'' was not part of the car. Looks like I was wrong.

I have to go see my dealer soon for a number of non resolved issues...looks like I will have to mention this aswell...Oh the joy...

#105 ·
I have a fully loaded Ti hatchback, with pretty much every option except the 18" rims. I went in for an oil change and mentioned a few things, the washer fluid warning being one. The only remark on my bill is "not equipped". Is this even possible? I know I've seen people with the same trim level as me having the warning system, I know there's a TSB (my built date was 04/11/11), I just don't get it.

#106 ·
i have a fully loaded ti hatchback, with pretty much every option except the 18" rims. I went in for an oil change and mentioned a few things, the washer fluid warning being one. The only remark on my bill is "not equipped". Is this even possible? I know i've seen people with the same trim level as me having the warning system, i know there's a tsb (my built date was 04/11/11), i just don't get it.
TSB 12-4-13.

I had my 5/24/2011 build done like 2 weeks ago. Unless you lack the sensor, which would suck - but shouldn't be your fault.

#114 ·
Not sure what Crystal is looking at, but the info in the thread is pretty clear.

There is NO INDICATOR LIGHT - therefore no light to come on when starting the car. There is a message on the IP display - but these are not typically displayed during the startup testing.

Reply #66 shows the warning indicator on the high-level trims (4.3 inch display S/SE with SYNC or above).

Reply #82 - BetaDnB stated he got a slightly different indication on his SE with the smaller 3.5-inch display without SYNC. But he did get an indication.

Reply #41 states there is a TSB for early cars where the feature was not programmed into the "as-built" codes from the factory.

The only real remaining question as I see it would be whether an S-model without SYNC would also get the display - I can't see a good reason that it wouldn't if the SE without SYNC has it, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it either.

#115 ·
This is the thing I'm starting to not like. Nobody having anything to do with Ford has a clue about this system. The photos and text that have been posted clearly show and state that it's not an indicator LIGHT, but a message on the display.

Then this from Thomas in post #68: It's only on trims with the high level message center. Your dealers are best to tell you if it's equipped or not.

This was before I had mine done. I don't consider my monochrome display to be "high level".

Then the fact I was told twice by a service adviser "I looked in to your car and you don't have it." Dealer is best to tell us if it's equipped? I think not.

Obviously the right hand isn't talking to the left. With this being a 10 page thread and some of us disproving the whole "you don't have this feature" thing, you'd think a memo would go out or something. Ford should be able to give us a simple answer to this simple feature and they've not yet been able to do so on several levels. At least my gripes are about the company and not my car itself.

#116 ·
I feel your frustration.

Basically, that's what I don't like about as-built codes and flashing EEPROMs to enable/disable features. In the old days, you looked under the hood and if there was a sensor on the fluid bottle and there were wires connected to it, you were pretty certain there was a light on the dash that came on.

In the dealer's defense - the TSB stated that the as-built codes were incorrect, so if the dealer connected to their system and the codes said "Not Equipped" or "Disabled", I don't know that they would think about "Well, it has the sensor and the wiring, and we know that SOME of the cars have the feature so if we flash the BCM with the as-builts from a later car it MIGHT work (and MIGHT not mess up something else)".

With this being a 10 page thread and some of us disproving the whole "you don't have this feature" thing, you'd think a memo would go out or something.
<sarcasm>You mean like the MFT fix that everyone is still waiting on, correct? (And no - they didn't fix it, they re-wrote the code and disabled some features and are now adding some of them back in. (But I don't have a dog in that fight.)</sarcasm>

#117 ·
In the dealer's defense - the TSB stated that the as-built codes were incorrect, so if the dealer connected to their system and the codes said "Not Equipped" or "Disabled", I don't know that they would think about "Well, it has the sensor and the wiring, and we know that SOME of the cars have the feature so if we flash the BCM with the as-builts from a later car it MIGHT work (and MIGHT not mess up something else)".
I would accept this if they had actually connected my car to their system. I was given answers when I was checking in for my oil change, so the car was still waiting in the lot.

<sarcasm>You mean like the MFT fix that everyone is still waiting on, correct? (And no - they didn't fix it, they re-wrote the code and disabled some features and are now adding some of them back in. (But I don't have a dog in that fight.)</sarcasm>
Oh right. I forget about the things I don't have to worry about. [grinking] In all fairness though, that is a bit more complicated of a system than the washer fluid sensor. You guys have definitely gotten the shaft on that one. I purposely bought without "new technologies". [cheers]

#118 ·
We avoided MFT on my son's car also. My point was there is a 102-page thread on here and another 70-page thread on here specifically saying what and where the errors are with MFT and they still haven't addressed them, and you're expecting them to send out a memo due to a 10-page thread on WW fluid sensors?

#119 ·
"They" and "them" would not refer to the same people in this case. Ford engineers don't write MFT code, but they would oversee a sensor issue.

#123 ·
I just got the TSB applied. I deliberately let the fluid run low to see if anything would happen. Nothing happened... Now I don't know if what they did worked because they topped off my washer fluid. It will be a few months before I'll be able to tell. I'm told that there would be an indicator light that will go on once the level is low. I will report back once I have an update. Car built is June 17 2011, Titanium Hatch, fully equipped.

#152 ·
I'm probably going to get hate responses for this but I did say I would get back with an update once my fluid was low.

Hope the pictures work.

So this is what happens when I got notified that the fluid level was low:

This is the indicator light they told me about:

This is the message I get when I go to the Information System Check:

Once I'm out of there the indicator light comes back on.

So this is it. I haven't checked to see how much was really left but I find it interesting for it to pop up like that. Next time I get back to my car, I will refill.

#125 ·
Yeah. Let's be clear on this just one more time. There is NO INDICATOR LIGHT. It is a message with text on your message center.

#126 ·
I didn't say that that's what it was. I said what I was told and would report back with a follow-up.

I've read the whole thread and when I went at the dealer I was prepared with all the info I got from here. He was adamant that it was an indicator light. So.... no point in me arguing with the guy. The fluid level was now full and we couldn't check.

I'll take pictures when the time comes. I might just empty the fluid and get it done with.

Edit: I was also told at the beginning that my car was not equipped with such a thing.

#127 ·
I know you didn't say that, but just putting it out there might confuse people. The Ford techs have put enough of that out there as far as this is concerned. It sounds like you went through about exactly what I went through. Don't waste your fluid if the paper work says it was done unless you just want peace of mind that it was done.

#128 ·
well I just ran the washer fluid down and I received no message indicating a low level. Can was built Jan 10, 2012 and I have Sync.

If I am not mistake someone else with a SE built in late Jan got the message?

#131 ·
On page 383 in the Scheduled Maintenance section it states that you should do the following every month

Engine Oil Level
Function of all interior and exterior lights
Tires for wear and proper pressure, including spare
Windshield washer fluid level

I have done this religiously for all my cars that I have owned. Checking fluid levels once a month is extremely important in maintaining your car, it involves no mechanical know how, simply use your eyes to see the levels of all fluids. If you don't know how, ask a mechanically inclined friend to show you how. I asked my dad when I was young to show me what to look for. (He was a mechanic)

#133 ·
I have done this religiously for all my cars that I have owned. Checking fluid levels once a month is extremely important in maintaining your car, it involves no mechanical know how, simply use your eyes to see the levels of all fluids. If you don't know how, ask a mechanically inclined friend to show you how. I asked my dad when I was young to show me what to look for. (He was a mechanic)
I brought this up once before with no response from anybody who's said they do this. How do you visually check the washer fluid level in this car? You can't see anything past the filler neck. There's only one way to check visually and that requires extra work and tools. More than just eyes.

#134 ·
How to check oil levels
Make sure that the car is cold or has been sitting for a while
Grab a clean paper towel and pull the oil dipstick out and wipe off the oil, re-insert the dipstick and then pull it out again. On the dipstick there are indicators informing you if the oil is low.

How to check windshield wiper levels
Locate the windshield wiper fluid and on the side there is a level indicator letting you know if it is low. (I will try to post a picture if needed) Or if you can't find the indicator, simply fill the reservoir almost to the top, don't overfill or it will spill during use.

#135 ·
What I'm saying is you cannot see the reservoir without removing parts from the car. If you can show me picture of a level indicator on the side, please do, but do so without removing parts.

#137 ·
Sonic [facepalm] I was trying to see how long it would take to get a picture. You let the secret out. [chair] [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.