Focus Fanatics Forum banner

NO indicator for winshield wiper fluid

49K views 212 replies 76 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ti fully loaded

This thing has the most advanced MFT system and it parks it's self, but had no indicator for windshield fluid what gives?

#7 ·
It's not supposed to tell you are out of fluid, it's supposed to tell you are running low before getting on a messy highway and running out.

And the sensor hardware is all there and connected, it just doesn't work, presumbly because of a software omission.

You paid for that hardware, do you not care that you paid for something that doesn't work?

Edit: I just noticed that all the people dismissing this are from areas where they don't spread salt on the roads all winter, where it isn't a safety issue.

#10 ·
Yes, it's incorrect. I've run out, as well.

And I'm glad someone else noticed that the only people thinking it's not a big deal are people that it doesn't really affect. For those of us that live in areas where salt on a road is a necessity during the winter...this is downright dangerous. Getting onto the highway before finding out you have no windshield wiper fluid is a *big* deal. I usually carry a small reservoir in my trunk during the winter, but only because I realized the warning light doesn't work.

For people living in non-salty areas...imagine driving down the road and someone throwing white paint all over your windshield. Then realizing you have no way to wipe it off...and you're still traveling at 70mph with traffic all around. Now come back to this thread and think before posting.

#11 ·
I must be doing something wrong...been driving since 1968...God only knows how many miles and different vehicles in all that time...and I have NEVER, not even once, run out of windshield washer fluid. If the fluid makers depended on me for sales, they'd be broke.
OTOH, if you are a frequent user of the windshield washer feature, I can see how it would be nice to know when the fluid level is running low. As for me, I hate a shield that's part clean, and part nasty. I'll pull in to a covenient store and wash the entire windshield before I use the WW feature.

#17 ·
The point of this thread and the other thread is there's a feature that isn't working (including mine) and it should be. There's no need for the amounts of bashing going on. Living somewhere that has snow and salt on the roads all winter it's a bitch when you run out. It's just a nice feature to let us know when we're running low especially in other parts of the country than where some of you come from. I've never had this feature before, but it would be nice if it worked as intended.
Posted via FF Mobile

#18 ·
Bashing?! You consider a few opinions bashing? Wow... Someone is sensitive. I agreed with the OP and in my part of the world, this feature is almost a nessescity but even the posts poking fun at the op I didn't interpret as "bashing", just an opinion and I don't take Internet forums too seriously. Just because someone doesn't agree with you and blow sunshine up your behind, doesn't mean they're bashing or "e-thugging" someone. LOL

#23 ·
Yes they do get snow in VA. Unfortunately this picture was probably a one time deal... When this happens in VA, EVERYTHING closes for like 2 days because they don't have the equipment to deal with it as quickly as we do. (Nothing against you Kttnmthkngs420) As for the Indicator lamp. sure it may be a "convenient" feature. But do you REALLY need it? As said before. Check your fluids. top them off and you shouldn't have to worry.

#22 ·
remember when cars required that you actually check the fluids yourself, as a responsible driver? I'm only 30, and those days seem so long ago...

I wonder if you'd be more screwed when the low fluid light comes on, and you use it until it runs out, or if you just use it till it runs out, with no little indicator light? hmmm...

#27 ·
Funny. I brought this up to the service dept. last time I was in for an oil change and I was told there is no indicator. How is this indicator supposed to work anyway? I don't see an icon for the dummy lights. Is it supposed to show up on the center gauge display?

I can't find this TSB anywhere. Can you please provide the verbage that goes along with it?

#32 ·
Our's was already going in today. (Steering center positioning feel at highway speeds, transmission low speed/stop-and-go driveability, one front marker light doesn't, rr taillight loose at front end, one incessant buzzing rattle from somewhere near/under the instrument cluster on certain road surface.) So I asked my wife if she'd filled the fluid and/or seen the indicator. She said she filled it when it ran dry and did not see any indicator/message.

So I asked the dealer to look into and mentioned that there might be a bulletin on it. (Not knowing contents, I was not real specific on this point.) We'll see what they come up with.

#34 ·
The report back was that there is a "code fix" for this but after an hour of trying and failing to program it, the tech called Ford and was told that "there's an update coming to the update". They said that they should be able to try again when I take it back in for the new steering rack--which is on backorder.

#35 ·
Thanks for the update, Dick. Hopefully by my next oil change in 4000 miles they'll have it ready. I'll be taking care of the recall then as well since that decided to come out two days after my last oil change o_O
Posted via FF Mobile

#36 ·
Sorry to go way left field here but when i had a coolant leak there was no coolant low light or notification either. i had to wait for it to overheat before i even noticed it was bone dry. sucks. also have the no indicator light for the washer fluid. ran out 2 days ago with no warning.

#41 ·
TSB
12-4-13 LOW WASHER SOLVENT WARNING MESSAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY ON VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/14/2012

Publication Date: April 30, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 1/14/2012 may not display the low washer solvent message as detailed in the Owner's Guide.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using the Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) start a new IDS session.
ID the vehicle; select the tool box at the vehicle screen.
Select module programing.
Select programmable parameter.
Select car configuration parameters.
Select vehicle configuration.
Retrieve professional technician society (PTS) delivered as-built data.
Follow the on-screen prompts.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120413A 2012 Focus: Follow Service Procedure To Repair Concern (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
14A068 04

#47 ·
Somebody who has a working indicator said it shows on the info screen. There is not a dummy light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.