Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#3,961 ·
Yeah I don't understand why ford would extend earlier models clutch packs and other transmission components to 7 yrs 100,000 mi. and not the later models like my early 2015 model. it has the same transmission as the early models. i have 53,000 already had clutches replaced at 44,000 so after 60,000 FORD you are making me pay the bill? this is crazy. Ford lawsuit settlement was a complete joke!! lawyers got richer consumers got nothing. well i've heard 2016 models are having shutter problems. Ford needs to extend all models warranty BE FAIR!!

#3,962 ·
I am trying to figure out the DCT issue, and my best course of action.
I purchased the car used with 29,000 miles. The trans started exhibiting some shutter a short while after I bought the car. At that time I read online that no solution existed, so I decided to just wait and see how it progressed. After an additional 40,000 miles, it has become too annoying to ignore any longer. Two days ago I joined FF to see if I could find any additional info.

It sounds like the dealer will replace clutches and update the tune, but that is not likely to fix the issue long term.
Tom appears to have a tune that can improve, or fix the issue.

I am planning to go to dealership to see what they will replace at their cost. My thinking is that new clutches is a good thing after the wear that may be on them now.
Following that, I plan to have Tom make a tune for me so that I may be able to keep this car for 120,000 more miles.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good strategy?

#3,963 ·
I am planning to go to dealership to see what they will replace at their cost. My thinking is that new clutches is a good thing after the wear that may be on them now.
Following that, I plan to have Tom make a tune for me so that I may be able to keep this car for 120,000 more miles.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good strategy?
It is the strategy I used: New "B" clutch at 70K miles 1-1/2 years ago, then applied Tom's tune. 15K miles later still works well.

#3,965 ·
Tom,
You are close enough to me that I figured I'd call you and swing down to your place and let you do your magic for me. I'd like to do the dance with the Ford dealer first. Ideally, I'd like to get all of this done in the next 4 weeks. If dealer can't hook me up quickly, I may just do the tune and run that to see how it works out.

#3,967 ·
Hey. I have 2014 Focus automatic gear (facelift) car. It's around 11,200 miles. I'm the first owner. I realised that when accelerating it shakes. Last week when I had my car's yearly checkup the service said that the clutch should be changed. But I have to pay 20% of clutch. They say because I 'm on extended warranty. My normal warranty finished in Dec 2017. My one year additional warranty finishes in Dec 2018. Is it true that I have to pay 20% of clutch? And some says even if clutch changes the clutch shudder problem occurs again. Is it true that Ford will produce new clutch with no problem? Any advice?

#3,968 ·
Don't know if Ford will make a good clutch eventually or not but I have a question for Tom. If you feel the issue is not with the clutches why does replacing them work for a while then you get the shudder back? I believe in one post you said you had removed shuddering clutches and they did not appear worn? If that's the case why do new clutches solve the problem for a while?

#3,970 ·
Cold medicine makes you feel better but doesnt cure the cold even tho many meds say it will , same things with the clutch , the clutch isnt the problem , the programming on how the clutch/trans works is the problem , new clutch is a band-aid in most cases , keep in mind whan you get a clutch you get a new PCM/TCM update

Tom

#3,971 ·
So are you saying the PCM/TCM operates the clutches poorly causing them to wear and start shuddering again? Something must change as time goes on because the PCM/TCM should remain the same. So it must be the clutches? Reason I ask is I just got new seal and clutches but still have warranty. Would like to hold off oh getting the tune but if I wait and the clutches start to shudder again will it be to late to help? I'm also thinking I may be in for another set of clutches before the warranty runs out if other peoples experience here is any indicator.

#3,973 ·
2013 ford Focus transmission failed

I bought my 2013 Titanium Sedan 2 yrs ago with 64k. It has the DC auto. It shuddered during acceleration. I saw the TSB, and the Ford dealer flashed the transmission. This didn't help. I returned the car to Ford next time I could and they replaced the TCM. This didn't help, in fact things got gradually worse. I finally took the car back to them and they told me the transmission has failed and needs replacement. I've put 30k on the car since purchase and now I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Everything else on the car is fine. Can anyone recommend a course of action?

Thanks a lot!

#3,974 ·
I'm sure there are design issues at the root, BUT I have recently found that driving my car like an a**hat has almost completely eliminated the shuttering.
As my DD car, I typically drive the car like a complete granny. The shuttering on my car got so bad that I spent nearly $500 to get a tune to address the PCM tune aspect(I have not installed the tune yet).

The past couple of weeks I have driven the car much more aggressively, including a 2 day autox. The car has not exhibited any shutter that I have noticed since.

It seems that the shuttering is made worse by driving the car very gently.

#3,976 ·
If you feel that the future of Ford is good for our country, and you don't want your children/grandchildren working for Japan/China, you can continue the battle. I'm on my second clutch and third TCM (fourth if you count the one out of the box at the dealer that failed before they returned my car to me).

The car runs beautifully now.

#3,977 ·
That's the thing, they are a great little car apart from the damn clutches. I'm hoping they get it figured out. I still have room warranty wise for another clutch but I hope I don't need it. Seriously considering the tune though, whether I stay with the clutch I got or get a new one.

#3,981 ·
Have a 2015 Focus Titanium (66k miles)

Was shifting harshly, missing shifts, shuttering, check engine light on and if you went into "Sport" mode the light would not illuminate on the dash.

Took it to the dealer they determined it was a worn clutch and Shift Motor A.

Had both replaced and the issues are still there. Anyone have the same issues?

Tried to get a TCM but they are saying there were not any codes pulled calling for TCM replacement.

#3,982 ·
2014 Focus SE Transmission or Clutch Failure

So many posts...

Has been quiet here since, 11/2018, so not sure anyone reads this anymore...

Anyway, my son had this happen this past Friday:
While sitting at a stop light took foot off brake and pressed the accelerator. At the top of 1st, transmission failed to shift into 2nd gear, and then shifted hard to 3rd. Then a message popped up that said "Friction element B had failed, and to service the car immediately". Was able to drive it home, but the drive was not normal. At home, we pulled a P07A4 code over the OBDII port.

Had it towed to the Ford dealership today, but have a few questions:
1) Have seen the class action law suit, but it looks like they are in appeal and no claims will be paid. There is a car and driver article from May that repeats this info. Is that still true?

2) The FordEtis site for my car lists the 14M02 as outstanding. Because of 1) above, it seems like Ford is not listing anything to do with the extended warranty for the transmission, is that true?

3) Is there any chance that Ford is going to fix this under warranty?

4) Anybody from Minneapolis area have a dealer that treated them well?

- Rob

#3,985 ·
So I heard back from the dealer today, and I'm not covered. They said its a bad fork and throw out bearing along with an oil leak at the front of the engine. They want $3600...

I am having a hard time believing that the rough shifting doesn't cause this type of failure.
Make sure you have full coverage insurance watch the weather park it when a tornado is coming and let them total it out it's not worth fixing. You can buy a second generation Ford Focus for that price.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

#3,987 ·
2012 SE with 96K and 7yrs 7 months since new Trans failure message

My focus just started throwing the tarns failure service now message and really shuddering. Took it to Ford and was initial told I was covered and then called and told I was past 7 years (bought the car used). Car is seeping fluid so assume its the seals. Was getting the P07A4 and P2701 codes.

Waiting on regional customer relations person to contact me but already resigned to them telling me sorry.

Has anyone done the clutch and seal replacement at home without lifts? Any tips/ tricks?

#3,988 ·
My focus just started throwing the tarns failure service now message and really shuddering. Took it to Ford and was initial told I was covered and then called and told I was past 7 years (bought the car used). Car is seeping fluid so assume its the seals. Was getting the P07A4 and P2701 codes.

Waiting on regional customer relations person to contact me but already resigned to them telling me sorry.

Has anyone done the clutch and seal replacement at home without lifts? Any tips/ tricks?
same exact thing here. exact same symptoms. was this ever resolved? my car sitting at the dealer and im devistated and searching for any info at all that might help mitigate the cost. Im not counting on Ford to lift a finger...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.