Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#3,500 ·
Well the car went into the dealer today and they took a look at it. My dad and I dropped it off this morning and I wrote them a note to make sure it gets F clutches for its replacements.

They called my dad a little later and said that they didn't put F clutches in the first time they replaced them! Seriously Ford?! Then they said that the part is on backorder and it could be a couple weeks before they get them in. I'm very disappointed because when I brought it in last month I thought they were putting the F clutches in the first time.

The dealer is also going to call around to other dealers to see if they can grab some clutches from them, in order to get me in faster. Although I am a little mad and disappointed, my dealership is trying hard to help me and I am pleased with that.

I will report back with any other info/updates.

#3,501 ·
No known differences between "D" & "F", the "F" version just packages replacement seals with the clutch pack.

Simpler than ordering/stocking multiple parts, and avoids any excuses for not replacing seals when doing a clutch pack.

#3,505 ·
I sure did, looks like you sent it over night my time. My hours are 11 am- 8 pm EST, M-F. :D Please also allow for a two business day turn around for private messages. I'll take a look as soon as I can.

Meagan

#3,504 ·
Los_Torta - once you click on "list messages" and see the message listing, at the top of that listing you'll see "private messages - inbox ^".

Click on the arrow box to the right of "inbox" to switch to the "sent" folder.

#3,508 ·
Great!

Glad you found a way to make it work for you.

There is also a "read receipt" option avail. I seldom use, lets you know when a message is actually accessed by the recipient. Helps when you're unsure a message will get to/be noticed by the addressee (not all members check mail).

#3,510 ·
Here's my story: 2012 Focus with 38,000 miles. Shuddering and grinding noises have been getting progressively worse and I was about to take it into the dealer to see what they could do about it. Then on Sunday evening, the car just suddenly went out of gear (on the freeway) and wouldn't move for a few minutes. Check engine light came on. It did it three more times that evening but i made it home.

Monday was a holiday so couldn't do anything about it then. Took it into the dealer on Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday, he called and said it was TCM failure (as I suspected from reading all the helpful posts here). The problem was he didn't expect the part to come until Friday or Monday! This afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to get a phone call saying the car was ready to go. The part was waiting for him this morning!

So I just drove it home, (10-12 miles) and it drives much better now and I didn't hear any grinding. I kind of have my fingers crossed, but so far so good. I really like the car, and if it continues to drive like this, I will like it a lot better.

#3,511 ·
Just joined the site after researching newer vehicle so sorry if this is a stupid question. My '02 focus recently died on me and im currently shopping. I am really interested in a '12 focus sle hatchback i found but after reading about all the issues about the trans i am kinda worried. I have confirmed it has the dps6 setup. Is there a way i can find out if issues have been reported on this vehicle and they have been fixed or not. I do have the vin for the vehicle im looking at if it helps.

#3,514 ·
Why not ask to see the service log book as that will at least let you know where it was serviced.

Was it serviced at a local Ford dealer?
Are they any good?
There are probably enough stories out there were people have put their car in for a service and came out with more problems than it started if the local dealer is not very good. If the dealer has good mechanics, this can turn your Focus into a real fun machine. This will give you some sort of an idea on how well the car was treated.

How many miles has it done?

#3,521 ·
Has anyone specifically had, or requested, that the TCM be replaced (not just reprogrammed) to cure the shudder problem? I know that they keep throwing clutches at this problem, but I don't think my occasional shudder is related to clutch hop or slip. I think the TCM just gets confused and arbitrarily actuates the shift or clutch solenoids (or both) because it's faulty. It would be interesting to see the result if just this piece was replaced.... Anyone go this route with success?

#3,526 ·
please read over the three years of posts here before deciding to spend your hard earned money,

truly well worth your time

#3,529 ·
ok its been a while since i have posted about my dct issues. I recently got my car back from the dealership after having the clutches replaced revision f i believe which took the dealer over a week to complete leaving me in a nice rav4 rental. I figured i would give it a couple weeks to see how it was running and get used to it. I belive i have traded one set of issues for another. At about 10-15mph the car shakes terribly and after coming to a stop sometimes it seems to want to stall. High rev gear changes are better but the delay of power from a stop seems to be much much worse and over all the car feels more sluggish. I will definitly be looking for a different vehicle soon my only worry is that because of these issues my car is worth almost nothing and has costed me way too much to justify keeping it.

#3,531 ·
Breach of Trust

After my transmission failed in the middle LBJ (Dallas I-635) during rush hour I could not trust the car anymore. I had it repaired and sold it. You don't expect a car with 30,000 miles on it to leave you sitting in traffic with cars going by at 70 miles an hour on both sides. It will probably be a while before I get a car with a DCT transmission. It is a shame because otherwise it was a very nice car.

#3,542 ·
I took my car in last month and the dealership "ordered my clutch pack" but now I am being told that it is on an "indefinite backorder" and they can't tell me when they will have the replacement part. My car has gotten pretty bad to the point that it almost stalls when I take off from a stop. I am not sure how much longer I can wait...

#3,546 ·
Status update: Got the car back late Friday afternoon, 31JUL. Even before pulling out of the dealership parking lot the car felt different. The steering was tighter, which I liked, and the transmission was quieter. So far we have just did some around town trips, nothing to put any real heat into or load onto the transmission. I did run it in sport mode a few time and only once did it shift by itself from 3-4 before getting anywhere near the red line. This was one of the issues we noted during turn in. The other thing that is gone is the low speed/turn shudder and that lag most of us feel in the transmission during turning. Another thing that was noticed was that pick up from the line has improved greatly. Can't remember the last time the car performed this well.

According to the AV Ford rep the input shafts were replaced, clutches were cleaned along with the replacement of the TPM.

I will say the AV FORD customer service rep was very helpful and did a good job of keeping me informed along the way as did our regional customer service rep. So props to Ford, at least on this level, for their customer service and ensuring this problem is getting corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.