Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

645K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  alex_5161 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

See less See more
#2,545 ·
I've been a month with the new bearings and a week with the bump stop lube and so far dead silent. I also had the transmission flashed and the DIY Myford touch update done. Both the transmission and MFT are operating just great, and the silent suspension is fantastic. All in all this car is better than it was a year ago when it was purchased, and is a total joy to drive. I actually find myself taking the long way home.

#2,546 ·
Ford Fiesta Titanium rattle from front side door

I was wondering if anybody out there has had the same thing happening to them. I've had the window trims replaced and two garages have looked at it yet they have not been able to identify why this noise is appearing.
It is like a rattle sound from the front driver seat window part, and it appears between 0-30 mph. Can anybody out there help me please?

#2,547 ·
I was wondering if anybody out there has had the same thing happening to them. I've had the window trims replaced and two garages have looked at it yet they have not been able to identify why this noise is appearing.
It is like a rattle sound from the front driver seat window part, and it appears between 0-30 mph. Can anybody out there help me please?
does it by any chance happen when your automatic transmission is shifting ?

#2,548 ·
No it is there as I drive off and as soon as I accelerate it starts. It's like the door is rattling. They've looked at the door, they tightend things, bolts or whatever, and the front door apart, the trim off and so on. Nothing found, yet two different mechanics have heard the noise but have been unable to identify it.
Thanks for your reply by the way!

#2,555 ·
So I actually just got my car back after a clutch and seals replacement then. After they replaced the clutch it was still shuddering and rattling so they took the trans out checked mounted replaced new clutch again and vibration gone. Anyways I got the car and the rattling is louder, but the car does respond quicker then it did before.... I'm hoping the rattles will go away after breakin or significantly damper but again I wish I just would of gotten a honda... So many headaches... Oh and I still get the thumps at low mileage turning while going down parking garages. Very annoying. Have seen the dealer probably 4 times about these issues they said they wouldn't buy back the car, but hopefully if anymore issues arise they will reconsider...

#2,556 ·
Just wanted to drop in here and say that I took mine in to the dealer, showed him the post about the white grease in the bump stops, and asked him to try that fix because my car squeaked like a tijuana taxi over speed bumps.

Well, that fix worked perfectly, and my car is now squeak free, and has been for several months now.

So, thanks!

#2,558 ·
You caused a very interesting thread if comments over at fords focus Facebook page

#2,560 ·
Hey guys, so my SEL had suspension noises since new, it was like in 3 different shops for over 2 months and apparently they changed everything, from struts to who know what. After two years I kinda got used to them and even had FR spings installed. Some months ago, my car began clunking and after checking the passenger side CV joint, there was grease all over the boot. I still havent taken my car to any ford dealer and the thing is, I really havent figured yet where the clunking comes from, a few minutes ago I just drove my car into the garage and heard the noise on the back of the passenger side, near the rear door. Sometimes I hear it on the back of the car, others on the front end. It is very evident when you go over any irregular suface (practically all the crappy streets we have in Mexico). Id like to figure out whats really causing the noise,cause Im associating it with grease over a boot, but why would I hear noises at the back end. Havent taken to a dealer cause they are way too lazy and as soon as they see a moded suspension, they blame it on that and then they couldnt care less. Any ideas?

#2,561 ·
Oh yeah and forgot to mention, last time it was in a ford shop, they changed a strut again (driver side) but guess what, they installed a different one to the one on the passenger side. I still need to investigate which one's which. Planning on getting the heavy duty ones from Ford on december, but meanwhile, Im driving on two different strut setups

#2,563 ·
Put on my winter tires yesterday - I just wanted to thank everyone (Zillion, Dysan911, et al.) for helping diagnose issues. I put some silicone grease on my bump stop while I had the tires off and she seems quieter! [thumb]

#2,565 ·
I was going to wait, but I keep them at my parents' house and I have to change them outside and I didn't really feel like doing that (along with greasing the bump stops) when it's less than 40 degrees out. And my summer tires were super loud (cupped on the inside and driving me insane) and practically slicks on the outer edge of the tire.

The good news is I'm at like 41-42mpg again. [:p]

#2,567 ·
True, but if you went from 18" to 15" rims like I did, it's like driving on clouds... [:)]

In hindsight, I don't even know why I went with the handling package when I commute 100 miles a day. I was blinded by the beauty of the 5 spoke rims.

#2,568 ·
LOL - I drive 95 miles per day and went for the handling package for the same reason you did! So now I cant make "U" turns ... or even "K" turns with the 18"ers. I have to make more like ... hmm ... "W" turns. [unsure] But I do like the look of the 18"s much better than the look of any of the 17"s that Ford was offering.

#2,569 ·
Out of Focus

I am new to this group and wanted to find out if anyone has resolved their issues with the clanking in their suspension. I recently purchased a used 2012 Focus (38000 miles) which is now having the same issue especially in cold weather. Dealership is claiming they cannot duplicate noise.

#2,570 ·
I am new to this group and wanted to find out if anyone has resolved their issues with the clanking in their suspension. I recently purchased a used 2012 Focus (38000 miles) which is now having the same issue especially in cold weather. Dealership is claiming they cannot duplicate noise.
i would demand they go for a ride w/ u in ur car and with u driving so you can duplicate the noise for them so they can hear it loud and clear. Then let them tell you it can't be duplicated. It may not get it fixed but it'll stop them from lying to you and start a paper trail for this issue.

#2,572 · (Edited)
Will definitely record and post. I live at the top of a small hill and dealership is at the bottom. Car made the noise all the way down the hill this morning and of course would not make it once the Ford tech got in the car and drove with me. It sounds like 2 pieces of metal rattling together in the dash near the left front strut when the car is going very slow. As soon as it warms up the sound is gone. Really frustrating. Fortunately this morning I was able to work with a different technician who assured me that he does his research with the Ford Board and these type of sites. He even offered to meet me at my house in the morning before the car is started and take a ride. Maybe I will finally get some help!

#2,574 ·
Will definitely record and post. I live at the top of a small hill and dealership is at the bottom. Car made the noise all the way down the hill this morning and of course would not make it once the Ford tech got in the car and drove with me. It sounds like 2 pieces of metal rattling together in the dash near the left front strut when the car is going very slow. As soon as it warms up the sound is gone. Really frustrating because the main service guy is completely unhelpful and will not go out of his way to help at all. I even gave him the links to all of the sites (like this one) showing the complaints about the same issue. Fortunately this morning I was able to work with a different technician who actually seems to give a sh-t about fixing the problem and assured me that he does his research with the Ford Board and these type of sites. He even offered to meet me at my house in the morning before the car is started and take a ride. Maybe I will finally get some help!
Wow... That is different... Cool!

#2,575 ·
For everyone following my progress, Todd from FordService (on this thread) contacted the Ford CSM for my region yesterday. A representative called me immediately with a case number and also contacted the Ford dealership in my town to discuss a resolution. I was able to work with a different technician at my Ford service department who not only spent a little time with me yesterday but actually showed up at my house this morning to take a test drive on a cold engine and duplicate the "clanking rattle." The same tech also pulled out several sheets of paper that documented this same issue from other Ford Focus owners and the possible "fixes" to try. This guy did his homework and needless to say, I was impressed with his eagerness to work with me and find a solution. We'll see what happens when I get the car back. Will keep you updated. And a HUGE thank you to Todd from FordService for stepping up!

#2,576 ·
Bad news

Clanking rattle came back very next day after being at the Ford dealership. They greased the strut shaft on both sides of car hoping that would fix the issue but it didn't. Now I'm wondering if maybe it's not the suspension but something in the dash or near it. Sounds like 2 pieces of metal rattling together but only at very slow speeds and when the car is cold.

#2,578 ·
Clanking rattle came back very next day after being at the Ford dealership. They greased the strut shaft on both sides of car hoping that would fix the issue but it didn't. Now I'm wondering if maybe it's not the suspension but something in the dash or near it. Sounds like 2 pieces of metal rattling together but only at very slow speeds and when the car is cold.
That is what chaise ears are for. Shouldn't your dealer have them I have my own and had to take the recording and show them the part I was checking. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,577 ·
dead facebook link? ford lawyers most likely shut the thread down. rotflmfao........

the MT82 6-speed made in China, 5.0 Mustang.... is the BIGGEST POS ON THE PLANET along w/NHTSA for not doing the right thing........FARCE! FORD is a joke along with the PR work here......NOTHING IS DONE PERIOD. END OF STORY...

gime me a freaggin' break.....America in decline with the PR BS.....

#2,580 ·
Dealers dont use chassis ears... I asked them and they didnt even respond.. asked again they said too time consuming to use.. ...
... >_>

I'm opening my own dealership service department.

#2,584 ·
its a travesty that fords customesr have to study fords problems, share TSB's amongst themselves and instruct ford dealers what to fix.

henry ford must be spinning in his grave at turbine speeds.

#2,585 ·
Yesterday I had the pleasure of hearing a thump so loud I thought the strut was going to come through the hood of my car. It happened when I was making a left turn pulling out of my road from a dead stop. It wasn't even a tight turn but I think it was caused when I hit some loose sand/gravel and my traction slipped as I was accelerating to get up to speed. It wasn't multiple slippage like you get when squealing tires, just one loud bang. When I got to my destination I did not see anything out of place.

I've heard the strut noise many times before but never like this. I plan on taking my car to the dealer next week for this and some bad rattling under the front which I hope is just some heat shields or something but I'm not optimistic.

Just about to reach 15k.

#2,586 ·
Rmm?

Yesterday I had the pleasure of hearing a thump so loud I thought the strut was going to come through the hood of my car. ... I've heard the strut noise many times before but never like this. ...
Could it have been the rear motor mount clunking?

#2,587 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to this website and i'm fed up with Ford. I bought a new 2013 Ford Focus Titanium and I have been having the same issues as everyone else in this post. Grinding/Shuttering of the Transmission and gears not shifting correctly. I almost got myself in 2 car accidents with this vehicle because of the DCT transmission. I'm contacting my regional Ford manager to see how the "buy back" program works. Any input and information regarding the buy back program would help me tremendously! I need your guys help and input.....

#2,590 ·
I'm at 12k miles and front suspension is still no better. I drive like a grandpa over bumps to avoid the rattles. I'll probably go through crystal again once I get home and have time off from work to have it addressed for the third time! The first two were from separate dealers, both who claimed it was a, "characteristic of the vehicle. I may bring in the tsb that was referenced above but part of me fears that them tearing apart the entire front end will lead to more harm than good without a true cure from the engineering department.

#2,592 ·
Another Ford rep? We get 4-5 different reps that have helpedn us how?????? Sorry Todd, Ford isn't interested in "really" helping us with our problems...with the resources behind Ford, this should of been fixed 2 yrs ago when the noise first started and Ford said it was just a characteristic of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.