Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

645K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  alex_5161 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

See less See more
#459 ·
Yeah not really sure if my parts are the exact same or not. My work order definitely doesn't refer to anything about Green Tag. ALthough thats more to identify the type of suspension you have. I.E. Does your Ti have the handling package or not? Mine does not so perhaps I have the green tag springs as well.

Overall it seems like your getting the same stuff as me. Springs, Top plates, and when they say related hardware that means Perches, Bearings, bolts, etc.

#463 ·
Hey everyone!

I know it’s been a few days since we’ve been in this thread, but Thomas and I are here to help. If you’re feeling a noise from the struts, please send a private message with your VIN, phone #, mileage, and dealer info. We’ll set you up with a regional Customer Service Manager who can work with your dealer on diagnosis and help to resolve it. It may take us a few days to get to everyone’s PM, but we will reply. Thanks!

~Natasha
Ford Service

#464 · (Edited)
Hi Natasha,
I am glad you are here to help, but I am afraid that the answer from your counterparts at regional will be that they are aware of the problem but there is nothing they can do at this time/no revised parts and thank you for letting them know and documenting it. This was Linda that I spoke with and my case number is --

#466 ·
My SEL Sedan is in for a number of issues, including the replacement of the rigt front coil spring that will, apparently, solve the clanking front end noise.. I hope I will get my car back this week as it's been in the shop for a full week now.

I'll keep you guys posted

#472 ·
My SEL just started to get some noise in the front end, I only hear it at low speed, it's not super loud. It's definitely suspension related, it only happens as I pass over ruts or driveway seems and such. What's the nature of the noise in your SEL? Is it really loud?

#470 ·
I took it, I didn't have time to drive it over bumps to see if it was fixed right away. This car has already inconvenienced me multiple times. If it wasn't for me losing 1000's it would have been sold already.

#475 ·
I picked up my car from the dealer today.
Here is what the service order said:

"Owner states there is a clunking, clanking, rattles, loud esp.with two people in the car. Check and advise..
"Road test with shop foreman and tech. and verify. Suspension/steering NVH diagnosis. All inspections found good with no apparent problems. Contact Ford Engineering and performed multiple diagnostic procedures. Remove both fron sway links and attach chassis ears and re road test. Pinpointed noise to both front strut areas. Per hotline replace both front coil springs and strut bearings. Perform 4 wheel alignment and make adjustments. re road tested by tech and foreman--all ok. Fix verified.
Parts:
Qty 2 CV6Z-5310-A Spring-front
Qty 2 AD-1094 Bearing-front.

Also got the FSA recall 12B37 reprogram upgrade for the transmission.

Driving back to the office through town, I travelled across a mixture of road surfaces. "Seems" better. It's tighter feeling, and no rattles. The suspension on this thing is very tight anyway. I need to drive it some more to feel better about this (or not feel better...)

#476 ·
About time.

These bearings are cheap enough - only 9 bucks a piece. Looks like I've got some work to do.

FYI: The AD-1094 part number is the Motorcraft number for the same strut bearing listed in the Ford parts catalogue as CV6Z-18198A.

#482 · (Edited)
@ Smizak

I didnt hear any noise comming from the front end until my wife and I got together in the car. I always drive mine and she drives her's...to each their own toys I guess. But recently we had to ride together and we both noticed the clunking noise comming from the right front end. We heard it very clearly in a specific situation:
When approching an intersection into wich you need to turn either left or right at 90 degree. The clunking noise was heard when applying the brakes before the turn, during the turn and comming out of the turn. I am not stopping the car, only slowing it down to negociate the turn in a mild manner.

Now like I explained before, I have never heard that noise when I am alone in the car. We're talking about a 6.1, 240 lbs driver. Add my wife (6.0 150 lbs) and the noise appears. Got my car back tonite from the dealer. Not sure about the noise being completely gone as I have to do some test with my favorite co-pilot. I'll keep you guys posted.

Here are the part that were changed:
BV6Z-5310-B (Spring Front)
AD-1094 (Bearing Front)
W715490-S442 (Bolt)
W700212-S442 (Nut - Hex)

#485 ·
I have the same issue with my 2012 titanium. The first time they told me it was from a water bottle I had under my seat.
This time they have acknowledged the issue and have determined it is the struts/bearings. This is what I suggested it was because I told them I found this thread... I was treated like I didn't know a thing, and was criticized for using the internet because "you can find any problem on the internet"... Well that may be the case, but 40 pages of people with the same problem on the same BRAND NEW CAR should cause a little concern, and clearly indicates there is a defect with this car.

I am very disappointed with both the service and the quality of the car at this point. Hopefully Ford addresses this issue soon and does something to retain the customers dealing with this incessant clunking.

#487 ·
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Before it would not clunk with just me in the car (no passenger) unless I was really trying to over some bad road and braking but going over speed bumps straight on the struts had a distinct sound and after the fix they make NO SOUND at all. [woot]

11 days now with the fix and still all is well!

#488 ·
Ford needs to come clean here. Something is not right. [poke] I have nothing resolved...

cut/paste from above post.....

"Owner states there is a clunking, clanking, rattles, loud esp.with two people in the car. Check and advise..
"Road test with shop foreman and tech. and verify. Suspension/steering NVH diagnosis. All inspections found good with no apparent problems. Contact Ford Engineering and performed multiple diagnostic procedures. Remove both fron sway links and attach chassis ears and re road test. Pinpointed noise to both front strut areas. Per hotline replace both front coil springs and strut bearings. Perform 4 wheel alignment and make adjustments. re road tested by tech and foreman--all ok. Fix verified.
Parts:
Qty 2 CV6Z-5310-A Spring-front
Qty 2 AD-1094 Bearing-front.

TSB needs to be issued ASAP....not endless threads on this forum!!! I got no resolution......dealer comment as follows -- the new ones on the lot do the same thing. Ford Engineering told the dealer there might be a TSB issued. Might.......

[popcorn] how long does it take Ford Engineering to figure this out.....or did they figure it out....and now they are nickel and dimeing their way through this entire fiasco....

I should have bought a HONDA CIVIC......

Ford..if you have a bad batch of struts and/or bearings etc....get the damned TSB out and quit fooling around! [werd] what this amounts to is drive to a dealer who will replace parts???? Bullkrap.......

#492 ·
My dealer has acknowledged something is wrong but can't seem to find a fix...most likely because they don't want to replace the spring, struts, etc. I have to bring it back to the have the shop foreman check it out.

I'm sure it will get fixed one way or another, but I'd rather not have to go through the run around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.