2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 194 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree1Likes
Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1931
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 4,063
Points 3,236, Level 35
Points: 3,236, Level: 35 Points: 3,236, Level: 35 Points: 3,236, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to make a video and post shortly. with the help of my son I was able to reproduce the sound 100%.
I don't even have the clunk and the suspense is killing me!
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Kona Blue, DCT, Built 5/24/2011, 401A + Ti Handling Package, Parking Technology Package, Winter Package, Moonroof, and MFT w/NAV at v3.6 115k miles and counting...
PratoN is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #1932
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Video is uploading at this very moment. I applied my fix and took it for a severe and thorough test drive and it IS GONE!.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1933
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93640
Location: London, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

Posts: 107
FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Video is uploading at this very moment. I applied my fix and took it for a severe and thorough test drive and it IS GONE!.
I really hope the fix isn't the same fix others have "applied"; trading the car in.
Yanner is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1934
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9Gw...ature=youtu.be

Let me know if you have any problems with the video.

So, once I discovered this item making this noise, I had my son do the exact same thing you see me doing in the video and I got inside the car. OMG its the EXACT same PITA noise I've been hearing all along. I took some universal packing grease and packed that upper foam piece as best I could. I also locked the lower black dust boot into place and zip tied it tight so it couldn't pop up and creak.

I put about 150lbs in the front seat and went to a parking lot of a nearby closed Food lion and went over several speed bumps, Braking over some really rough pot holes with the wheel turned. There's a place in my development that I can ALWAYS get to make the noise. GONE!. I came home and unloaded the weight. I had my son sit in the front seat and we went back to the same course. It always makes that same noise with him and this time. NOT even a hint of it.

I don't know if this is exactly the same sound others have had but it was really easy get too.

Also. I did tighten up the pinch bolt on the Strut where it connects to the spindle part. It wasn't as tight as I thought it could be so I was able to get that a little bit better.

I"ll keep a close ear for if it creeps back or not. That little part thats making all the noise. You can easily pry it out and down if really wanted to get rid of it. I don't know what function it really serves.

Hope this helps!.

This is the video that led me to check that area of the strut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7pC9_LY3g

B.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #1935
Focus Addict
 
thejordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107706
Location: Southern, CA
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Posts: 649
Points 1,140, Level 18
Points: 1,140, Level: 18 Points: 1,140, Level: 18 Points: 1,140, Level: 18
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd also cut the top half of the dust boot off and zip tie the bottom to the base.

Usually bump stops don't make a clunking kind of sound, but glad you figured it out. Wonder what Ford has to say or if 13s have a different one.
thejordan is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #1936
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
I'd also cut the top half of the dust boot off and zip tie the bottom to the base.

Usually bump stops don't make a clunking kind of sound, but glad you figured it out. Wonder what Ford has to say or if 13s have a different one.
That creaking Sound though when your inside the car. Sounds exactly like a dull clunking noise. Its bizarre.

My theory is, when you have some extra weight in the car from a passenger or when braking. Your compressing that dust boot and its' binding all up, popping and creaking and its like an echo chamber inside. The fact that I have completely eliminated all sounds from mine (knock on wood) tells me that I've found the source. Over the next week when I have more people to test riding with me, over some pretty rough terrain that usually causes the noise. If it passes that test then I'll feel 100x more confident that I nailed it!.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1937
Focus Addict
 
thejordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107706
Location: Southern, CA
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Posts: 649
Points 1,140, Level 18
Points: 1,140, Level: 18 Points: 1,140, Level: 18 Points: 1,140, Level: 18
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
That creaking Sound though when your inside the car. Sounds exactly like a dull clunking noise. Its bizarre.

My theory is, when you have some extra weight in the car from a passenger or when braking. Your compressing that dust boot and its' binding all up, popping and creaking and its like an echo chamber inside. The fact that I have completely eliminated all sounds from mine (knock on wood) tells me that I've found the source. Over the next week when I have more people to test riding with me, over some pretty rough terrain that usually causes the noise. If it passes that test then I'll feel 100x more confident that I nailed it!.
nice, that's a fairly universal product, you can get bump stops made out of polyurethane instead of foam. when i have a chance this week, i'll check out mine to compare to the 12.
thejordan is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1938
Sonic Crew # 010
 
Shade-010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87369
Location: Noblesville, IN
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Posts: 10,502
Points 16,132, Level 81
Points: 16,132, Level: 81 Points: 16,132, Level: 81 Points: 16,132, Level: 81
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9Gw...ature=youtu.be

Let me know if you have any problems with the video.

So, once I discovered this item making this noise, I had my son do the exact same thing you see me doing in the video and I got inside the car. OMG its the EXACT same PITA noise I've been hearing all along. I took some universal packing grease and packed that upper foam piece as best I could. I also locked the lower black dust boot into place and zip tied it tight so it couldn't pop up and creak.

I put about 150lbs in the front seat and went to a parking lot of a nearby closed Food lion and went over several speed bumps, Braking over some really rough pot holes with the wheel turned. There's a place in my development that I can ALWAYS get to make the noise. GONE!. I came home and unloaded the weight. I had my son sit in the front seat and we went back to the same course. It always makes that same noise with him and this time. NOT even a hint of it.

I don't know if this is exactly the same sound others have had but it was really easy get too.

Also. I did tighten up the pinch bolt on the Strut where it connects to the spindle part. It wasn't as tight as I thought it could be so I was able to get that a little bit better.

I"ll keep a close ear for if it creeps back or not. That little part thats making all the noise. You can easily pry it out and down if really wanted to get rid of it. I don't know what function it really serves.

Hope this helps!.

This is the video that led me to check that area of the strut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7pC9_LY3g

B.
Not to doubt ya, but give it a month or so, and see if it comes back.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SE Sport-5 speed-203A package
Basline 1 -155.48hp 145.80 tq 93 oct. Lunchbox delete & K-N Drop in filter.
Dyno 4 -177.17 hp 157.28 tq - 93 oct. RDC 2.5" Catback & RD-X Prototype CAI + Tune.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Shade-010 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1939
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
Not to doubt ya, but give it a month or so, and see if it comes back.
Will do. If it does. I may try removing that squeaky styrofoam piece and or the dust boot.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #1940
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drove to dinner with a car load. ALWAYS clunks with that many in the car. I intentionally went for every pot hole, bump, trasition change etc. absolutely SILENT!
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1