Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

887K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most owner's clutches are wearing in at about 1,000 miles. If you drive alot of highway miles (like me) it might take longer. I have about 1,500 miles and although it has gotten better there is still a slight shudder/shake, so they are still breaking in. I would give it some time as long as it's not over what they deem is normal.

#2,082 ·
Chief, if the stuttering is normal, odd that yours didn't do this.

#5 ·
Hi dvandy4898,

I appreciate that you have worked with the dealer, and can truly understand your frustration. As the dealer advised, it does take some time for your Focus to get acclimated to your driving habits, and I am sure that can be aggravating. The dealer is correct that it may smooth out, but I do not want you to feel unsafe in any way. For you and anyone else that finds their shifting differences concerning, I recommend keeping in contact with your dealer to verify everything is functioning correctly. Additionally, please PM me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can try to help. I want you to be confident in the safety of your Focus, and I will work with you to resolve your concern. Thank you all for your patience.

~Natasha

#339 ·
Still having issues...

I currently have 5400 miles on mine, and it still has not smoothed out. My dealer says that they know there is a problem, but no fix. I also have horrible issues with the Sync and Nav freezing up, and I sometimes get a SD Navigation Card Fault error message before it goes blank. I have had the Sync update, it got better, but now it has gotten bad again. Anyone have these issues?

#6 · (Edited)
My dealership is coming to pick up my car on Monday. They contacted Ford and they told them to retrieve the car and do a check over. Hope this settles the issue. If I am not satisfied with the turn out and the car continues to do what it is doing, I will contact you and give you the information needed. thanks

#9 ·
My dealership is coming to pick up my car on Monday. They contacted Ford and they told them to retreive the car and do a check over. Hope this settles the issue. If I am not satisfied with the turn out and the car continues to do what it is doing, I will contact you and give you the information needed. thanks
Hi dvandy4898,

I appreciate that you are giving your dealer a chance to resolve this to your satisfaction. I am here if you need additional assistance, or feel unsatisfied in any way. Feel free to message me if I can be of any help.

~Natasha

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I think this is what my daughter has been saying; our car has 300 miles.

When I get in the car, to check it out, I haven't found any problems. And then I just nail the gas, and continue to be amazed at what a wonderful car it is - great suspension - and I really do like the 6spd auto and I do appreciate the difference the torque vectoring makes. I like the Sport mode, and just how easy the car is to drive "well".

Finally, a car that I don't hop into and think, "Okay, I wonder if there are short springs and a thicker rsb, yet?" But I am wondering if 225/50-16's would work alright on 6.5" rims, but, next year.

#10 ·
Hi chum567,

I'm sure it must be frustrating, but it does take some time for your Focus to get acclimated to your driving habits. I suggest driving it for a while and see if it smooths out. It you feel it is concerning, then I recommend having the dealer take a look to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

~Natasha

#11 ·
Transmission Shutter

I picked up my 2012 SEL in the beginning of June, and from day 1 felt exactly what you are talking about. It actual feels like the transmission is slipping - hence the shutter feel. I do see the FordcustomerService response, and I love this car and have had 3 Mustangs - I love Fords. I'm just having a tough time buying this response. Ford, you guys get this, you build transmission better then anyone on the plant, period - this is a little scary when you go to pass on the highway, pull out quick at a light etc, it really plays with your confidence in driving. I have 1600 miles, about 1200 are all stop and go highway traffic. I really love this car, the fit and finish, MySync, the look, but I'm really bummed on hearing this response. Can you guys confirm at this point, Ford is not addressing the issue, but stating to let things "wear" in. That is just puzzling no? Has anyone on this thread with an SEL or the 6spd transmission seen things get better? [8D]

#1,068 ·
Ford, you guys get this, you build transmission better then anyone on the plant, period [8D]
Guess you never owned a Ford with an A4 tranny.

#12 ·
It's great that Ford is taking this seriously, and I'm glad you took it in. It is important to take it in sooner, especially if you think it is a safety issue. Part of the problem is that you have two weeks of frustration built up and the service department can't help if they don't know.

Incidentally there is fuzzy logic computing built into the transmission that does take a while to learn your habits; this sounds more serious, like a clogged injector or something restricting air, fuel, or spark.

Hammy

#15 ·
Hi Natasha (Ford) and Dvandy4898:

I'm looking at purchasing a Focus Titanium sedan. I took 2 out for a test drive. On both vehicles, the following occurred. At a standstill, when I take my foot off the brade pedal and allow the car to creep forward, it does indeed feels like it is going to stall (or possibly the transmission is shuddering). Secondly, when the vehicle is being driven and I brake....just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt the car feels like it is going to stall out (once again it shudders). The salesman assisting me was also in the car and he acknowledged the shuddering. (His response was that it happens to all cars. Of course I discounted his response because I know this is not normal.) Regardless, I advised that this is an issue for me and I will think about this before I commit to a purchase. Lo & behold, I now find that this very same problem is occuring to other Focuses.

Just curious as to what has transpired or if there is any further information. I like the car and was ready to purchase until I notice this problem.

#16 ·
its normal. It gets better. I have my Titanium Focus for almost a month ... and I am over the 3,000 mile mark. It did that in the beginning ... now it runs flawlessly! Its the quirky dual clutch. But once you get over 500 miles it keeps getting better and better!

#18 ·
Hi Jellman123,

While it is true that the Focus transmission improves while it learns driving habits, Ford Engineering is investigating and actively working to resolve any concerns. While the symptoms of many posters may seem the same, the causes may be different. I would like to help you with your issues. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will work with you so you feel confident when driving your Focus.

Steddy,

There have been concerns noted on this forum, but they are not an indication of an issue that affects every owner. I am sorry to hear that the two you test drove experienced rough shifting. Ford takes customer satisfaction very seriously. We are assisting anyone having issues. I hope you reconsider and decide to purchase a Focus.

~Natasha

#426 ·
I have a 2012 Ford Focus, ID #1FAHP3K20CL174979 that I purchased on Aug 2nd 2011. I have had it back in the shop twice, once at Rancho Ford in Temecula and once at Vista Ford in Vista where I purchased the vehicle. I'm concerned about the transmission because it stalls when you start out and falls on its face. I do not like to drive the car because I'm not sure it will not stall and cause an accident. I took a road test with the Sales Manager (Pat) at Vista Ford with another 2012 Ford Focus, same model and it did not act like mine. Pat has ask me to bring it in and they will hopefully take care of the problem. I will drop it off next week (Nov 4 or 5 and leave it with them until it is corrected. I have a 2007 Ford Focus that I love but I'm not happy with the performance of the 2012 at this time. I'm hopeful this will be corrected but will not drive the car as it handles today.
Richard Crawford

#20 ·
Also Natasha, remember that some compromises have to be made for the tremendous fuel economy the car gets. You can adjust the idle speed on any car, but if you do it gulps more fuel when it is idling. I had a car that drove along at a nice clip on city streets without my foot on the gas, but it didn't get 25 MPG in the city (I'm a lead foot). In addition, I agree with the post above- There is a 'fuzzy logic' computer in the transmission. Fuzzy logic lets the car adapt to your driving habits, and it takes a while to learn your habits.

#21 ·
hammy627,

You are correct, the idle speed and shift patterns may be very different from what many drivers expect. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation. Thank you for the feedback.

~Natasha

#22 ·
Jellman 123,

Like many others my Focus transmission is getting smoother as it gets more miles on it. I was aware the Focus had a automated manual transmission. The salesman I purchased the car from further explained how the new Focus transmission is different from the smoother "I can't feel this car shift at all" automatics we are familiar.

I was concerned enough by the difference that I read most of the concerns on this blog.
Glad to read Natasha @ Ford is monitoring these concerns. Thank you. All of us should try to understand these transmissions are different. The upside is that they are very low maintenance and more efficient than the automatics of the past.

Most of these messages have been valid concerns. Note that there are few cars that left a person stranded. Most were it feels like it is...... type comments. I really enjoy my new car as I travel more in it and learn about all the features.

#23 ·
Not to be insulting to anyone, but I wonder if this condition is related to driving style. Drive your Ford like you're a teenager until the clutches wear in. I'd even be happier if it took more miles to "break-in" because to a car nut like me that means the clutches will have more life. If the car never stalls- then it's not a problem even if it feels like it's going to stall, it still doesn't, so ok- right?

#1,368 ·
I agree, I am not easy on my cars and I have over 1000 miles on mine and for the most part its very smooth. It took a bit of time, but it feels great now. I think cause its a new thing that people are not really used to a car that acts like this. once you drive it more and get used to it and the car also gets used to you.. I am sure you will see its actually a great transmission and also give you great mpg and also great power for picking up and going... I for one like the car!!! Almost like when I learned how to drive a standard car and it was really rough going for a while and once I got better at it I was a pro and it became second nature. This is the same just without the manual aspect. Its basically the same as a standard car, it just takes time to master. I guess in this case it takes time for the car to get used to you ...

#24 ·
In this day and age there should not be any breaking in. If Ford truly believed that the clutches needed to be broken in it should have been done at the factory or at the very least the owner should have been made aware before taking delivery.

All that being said we are just shy of 1000 miles and I have not experienced any of this shuddering or almost stalling. Overall the transmission has been silky smooth and now that i have discovered the Sport mode it's a blast to drive by making the car overall more responsive.

I wonder what percentage of the Focuses with the DCT transmission are having issues.

#25 ·
Hi Dgc333,

I am glad your Focus is driving smooth! There is no extensive break-in to mention, besides what is listed in the owner's manual. It advises to try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles of new vehicle operation, and to vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

~Natasha

#26 ·
I've been concerned about this transmission as well.

On my first day of ownership, I drove around for a few miles to show off the vehicle and its high tech features to my sister-in-law. Everything was great and we cruised around without incident--until I tried backing up a 12-degree grade to park on my driveway. The vehicle was unable to travel about 35 feet up this grade and I received a message stating "Transmission Overheating - Wait 8 Minutes".

I was a little concerned (and slightly embarrassed) but as soon as I placed the car in drive, the message disappeared so I tried it again. This time, the same results, but the readout changed to "Transmission Overheating - Wait 9 Minutes". I decided it would be better not to back up the driveway that night.

After a few days of commuting to and from work, I eventually took it back to the dealer, who tried to recreate the problem without success. They suggested that they could keep it for a while longer and give me a loaner until they could get it to behave the same way. Or I could take it home and try to get it to reoccur. I had put around 250+ miles on it by now and when I returned home, the problem had gone away.

As I've driven it more frequently, I've discovered the transmission shudder issue that's been described here. I'm now up to around 750 miles and the reverse issue no longer seems to be a problem, but this transmission hesitation that I've been experiencing is very much like what's been described in the forum.

As for my driveway grade, I no longer bother with backing up, but instead I drive about halfway up to find that the car pauses slightly and then reengages about a second or so later, which allows me to drive the rest of the way. It's not a long driveway. Perhaps only three or four car lengths, but the hesitation has been happening each time for about a week and a half. A similar hesitation happens upon acceleration as I turn into traffic, and this is not a comfortable feeling at all. In fact, it seems very unsafe.

For the last ten years, I've driven a Prius with a CVT. Good acceleration, good performance, and a flawless transmission. When my hybrid battery finally failed, I chose the Focus. So far, my gas mileage has decreased from lifetime 42+ mpg over a lifetime of 188k miles, down to around 34 mpg. But overall, there are other, less tangible benefits.

For now, I'll take the advice of others and see if the transmission behavior improves. Based on the way the vehicle drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to show it off to anyone. Which is kind of a bummer. OTOH, if this condition doesn't improve significantly, it'll be a much bigger bummer.

#29 ·
Hi Video,

I am here to ensure your concerns are addressed. Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state so I can get you to LOVE showing off your Focus.

~Natasha

#27 ·
I'm not sure how that particular transmission sensor works, but it is conceivable that tilting at such a grade could cause the sensor to become confused- lack of fluid perhaps. The fuel economy will improve over time- mine did, right about the time I was ready to take it back because it didn't live up to my expectations. With reserved driving techniques you should be able to get 40 mpg hwy, but I doubt combined will be that high.

#28 ·
You have to think about the newer dual-clutch systems like clutches on stick-shifts. Would you expect a new clutch to grab perfectly and without chatter the second you drop it in? Absolutely not, because the clutch material has to "cure" and the surface of both the flywheel and the clutch have to wear into each other before they'll work properly. You have the added challenge of a computer control that is set up to control a broken-in gearbox, not a brand-new one; so the computer won't tend to act quite right until everything stabilizes at the end of break-in.

And RE: the "modern cars shouldn't require break-in". They're MECHANICAL PARTS. Any mechanical parts (especially wear materials and lubricated parts) will require time to wear in. I've taken oil samples from nearly new gearboxes and the oil has been SHINY because of the break-in material wear. The gearing was in perfect condition, and ran quiet and great. All mechanical systems are NOT equal and identical set-ups will wear in differently.

#30 · (Edited)
All,

My 2012 Focus arrived with the same issues as I see reported above. Shutters with RPM near the 750 to 1100 range. Mostly during exceleration and deceleration is the worst. However, I also notice if the car is in PARK on a slight up hill or down hill and idling it also Shutters lightly.
I too got the Customer Bulletin about "don't adjust anything and tell the customer". My bulletin clearly stated 1000 mile break in period. Well, I'm now at 1950 miles today and it is still shuttering at all the same points noted above. If this thing is learning my driving then it is doing a really bad job of it. By the way I baby this car to try and get the best gas milage, so I'm sure Ford will now tell me that it will take longer due to my "gas saving" driving habits. (Bad gas milage is another story beyond this Trans issue. Nowhere close to 37 mpg.)
After my first service visit and after reading the bulletin I figured I would drive more agressive at the lights and any other excelleration times (FOR ONE TANK OF GAS), but it did not help as already stated. So, I told my dealer I'll be back for round two of service, but I'm sure they will give the same run arround.
(Just to note, I also have a 2004 Ford Expedition that came with a wheel and steering wheel shutter from day one. (Shutter above 65 MPH alone, or above 45 MPH while pulling a trailer.) Ford gave me the run around on this until 12,000 miles. And then they told me that the front end parts are no longer covered after 12000 miles. What the hell happened to the 3 yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Now that same SUV has ~97000 miles and that wheel shutter is still present. Ford always said it was just the tires. I changed tires 4 times, and then even changed rims and tires and then changed brake rotors 2x times and the shutter has never gone away.)
LONG STORY SHORT ABOUT THE FOCUS ISSUE - FORD IS NOT GOING TO FIX THIS FOR US UNTIL IT BECOMES A SAFETY RECALL! And it they can find a way to wash there hands of it before 3yr 36k miles they will surely do so, sticking you with the issue until you ditch the vehical!
Happy $27,000.00 for me! You got off cheap at $21,000.00 person from earlier post.

#31 ·
Offrddrver,

How many miles do you have on your car? You state 90% of your driving is highway. Your car probably hasn't worn in yet. Letting the engine stay at one RPM doesn't allow the engine to let the rings seat properly.

I believe it is the EPA that calculates the MPG's.

I suggest you read pages 358 & 359 0f your owners manual.

#32 ·
Old Tu,

Well, the manual reading was enlightening, but I'm already knowledgeable of all the information listed on these two pages. I've been doing this for years.

The car is now at 2065 miles today. I'm still waiting for that 1000 mile break in to work as Ford noted in the service bulletin they gave me after my first shop visit. As noted, my current driving is more erratic to help break in the car's transmission (and KILL my gas milage even more.)

Just to prove I'm a "gas saving" driver, I was getting 26.2 to 29.1 MPG in a 1999 Ford Taurus with 24Valve V6 and 133000 miles. I'm driving the exact route to work as I do with this 2012 Focus. The www.Fueleconomy.gov lists the 1999 Ford Taurus as 17c 25h 20mpg combined. My driving style beat those estimates. I would hope with my driving style that this little 4 banger should be up near the 35 to 37 mpg range. Every fuel stop is logged, every fuel stop is the same fill up method and odometer reset routine. It is as close as a Semiconductor Engineer can get to calculating mpg on this car without adding his own sensors. HA HA

Back to the Transmission issue...
I just want FORD to step up and get this trans issue fixed as I'm fed up with getting ditched by Ford on issues that they should fix. Remember I'm once bitten due to FORD ditching my $36,000 SUV issue at 12000 miles when it was purchased at 36 miles NEW. If FORD ditches me on this issue I will NEVER buy another FORD again. I've bled Blue Oval blood since I was 15 years old even when nearly all my friends were Chevy fans.
I also bleed Red White and Blue and frankly get pissed that so many people buy Japan and Korean vehicles. But, if FORD can't get this fixed I will never give them another penny let alone $27,000.00 for an Economy car that doesn't run right.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm getting sick of this transmission issue and Ford ditching me as a loyal customer.

Last note, I'll be quick to reply if this Transmission does FIX itself or learn my driving style. 2000+ and waiting! I guess my car was one of the school girl dropouts as she isn't learning very quickly.

Just to note, my dealer has been working with me, they have not ditched me, but Ford has nothing to help them, so how can they help me!

#33 ·
Offrddrver,

Your long-term support of Ford is appreciated. I know you are frustrated with your transmission issues, and I am here to help. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state and I will work with you to resolve your concerns.

~Natasha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.