Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#2,017 ·
My '13 has just under 1,100 miles on it now and while I have seen the performance of the DCT improve quite a bit, the slipping/shuddering through 1st gear from a dead stop takeoff is still unacceptable. It is much worse when the temps outside are over 100 degrees (which is often the case here in Phoenix, AZ!). There are times when I am afraid to make a left-hand turn unless it is on a green arrow. Once out of first gear, the DCT is pretty good.

On a side note, has anyone notice the RPMS "wavering" a little bit at highway speeds with the DCT? I've notice that if I set the cruise at 65 mph, I can watch the tach needle bob a little as it goes down the highway. Makes me wonder if the clutch is slipping a little?

#2,019 ·
When it comes down to it, it's piss poor programming. On the DCT when you hit the gas at let's say 2 third throttle it should downshift and friggen get going not fall on it's face. I would rather it engage firmly quickly into the appropriate gear and get moving. There's too much bs algorithms going on .

#2,020 ·
I agree with this. 70% throttle and the car tries to accelerate in the currently selected gear. 80% throttle and the car downshifts twice . What gives?

#2,021 ·
Just for kicks I searched Auto Trader for all 2012-213 Ford Focii w/DCT within a 25-mile radius of my zip code and it returned 26 vehicles. Many are under 20,000 miles.

The one I traded in earlier this month is the most expensive one on the list and it's competing against a couple of other Ti's with less miles. The asking price for one is about $1k less, and another is $3500 less.

In contrast, a search for all manual Focii within the same radius returned only 2 vehicles.

To those who bought the Focus with a manual transmission ya done did good! People seem to be hanging onto 'em.

#2,022 ·
That doesn't really show anything... since more dct were probably sold new than manuals, many of those on the list are probably also coming from fleet use... while the manuals will be from individuals... now if you had data showing total number of foci in use by individuals, total number for sell previously used by individuals and not fleet use, then you could come up with percentages that showed if in fact manual owners were holding onto theirs more than dct owners.... but 25 vs 2 could mean 1% of dct owners got rid of their foci and 85% of manual owners got rid of theirs, just as easy as the other way around.....

#2,024 ·
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-surprise-more-interest-------/1#.Uc7qx5yjKwQ

This link is an article that says that about 10% of new Foci are purchased with manual trans. I look at Auto Trader a lot too. It seems that whenever there is a Mk3 Focus selling for a really low price, it is an automatic. Then again, almost all of the Focus rentals are automatic, and they get turned over quickly and at low prices. Just from reading this forum and other pubs, it seems that manual trans owners are more satisfied than automatic owners.

#2,029 ·
our car has 8000 miles on it and when you start out it shutters. dealer said it would smooth out but it still shutters!
Don't beleive him or "Natasha. I have 17,000 miles and a neighbor has the same exact vehicle and she has the same issue:

Hello "Natasha",

I know you're trying to be helpful but the bottom line is that you are running interference here trying to make it sound like all is well and normal.

This propaganda about breaking it in and adapting to driving habits is bogus and both you and Ford know it.

Although it's a new type, the trans is poorly designed. There are massive isssues and Ford refuses to address them. They try to stall (no pun intended) until the warranty expires and then suddenly the trans needs to be replaced. There are countless stories like that on other forums.

Please explain this. My Focus has over 17,000 miles on it and it has well adapted to my driving habits. The same problem which is dangerous is ocurring to me also. Cars are not built to sputter on purpose. That is a complete and rather condescending reply to give a customer.

You keep saying the problem is the same but the causes may be different. BUNK!!! The problem is the problem and Ford knows that if they admit to the problem the cost of "in warranty" repairs will cost Ford a small fortune.

How do you explain it having the same issues with 17,000 miles as some do with 300? And I maintain my car and and treat it as if it were a family member. Always have and always will. You keep repeating break-in. It's more like Ford side-steping the issue until a person breaks down on the side of the road and then Ford keeps it's fingers crossed that the car is out of warranty and the customer gets stuck with the bill.

You're not being upfront and honest. Why? There are few responses here where people come back and post that Ford fixed the issue.

There are instances were Ford did indeed install a new trans (very few instances ) and the problem started over again and Ford took the position that either the warranty is up or you're not getting a new trans again. That is fact, people.

What you try to do is tell them to contact you or Ford. That's just to get them off this site because the issue isn't going away and the complaints are mounting.

What good is good mileage when the car is unsafe and not enjoyable to drive and... is always in the repair shop?

Wake up folks and remember "Natasha" who is likley some male tech at Ford is part of the Ford propaganda and P.R. machine. His or her job is to present an image that Ford actually cares. They have one of the worst customer service records of any automaker.

And save the sorry to hear the problem nonsense. I have bought Fords all my life. This is NOT normal folks. They give you an ulcer first and if you are very, very lucky you might get a problem of this magnitude fixed for free.

How many of you actually had the problem truly fixed? If you're complaining at 300 or 3000 miles rest assured the problem will get worse. That's why many have had MULTIPLE visits to their dealershops. And it is why Ford tells their dealers not to fix the vehicle. Go back a few pages and read what one customer was told and the print-out he was given. It's a stalling game in the hopes of warranty expiration.

Is there anyone who was out of warranty and Ford fixed the problem free of charge anyway? Perhaps a token few so Ford can use that as propaganda to say that they stand behind their products. All they do is stand behind the cashiers's desk and collect money on problems that started under warranty and now the vehicle is out of warranty. It's a nuisnace to Ford and hence we have "Natasha". Anyone ever talk live to a "Natasha". Doubtful but I'm sure Ford will insist she exists. She very well may exist but as you can see her function is to appease.

So "Natasha" try explaining why at 17,000 miles I still have the problem with 3 trips to the dealer( one at a different dealer to see what they would say) and the so called "trans software" run twice? We both know the answer. The design is poor and Ford will not address the problem until there is a class action suit demanding a recall and free repairs. Way too costly for Ford to do voluntarily.

Wake up Focus owners. This isn't the gem of a car that Ford wants you to think it is. And don't get me started on their crappy radio that costs a fortine and after 4 runs of sftware still doesn't work properly.

People you want the truth? Contact or get a copy of Consumer Reports of this vehicle. It's rated at the bottom of the heap due to guess what? Radio issues and transmision issues!!!

P.S. People watch the excuse "Natasha" makes and how she will tell me to contact her or Ford. BREAKING NEWS: Just how many times do I have to bring a brand new car back to a dealer? Folks if you have a lemon law in your state...make use of it. The problems won't get better as the car ages.

Here is something to also ponder. She says the car has to adjust to YOUR driving habits. Ask her what her excuse is or what you're supposed to do if MULTIPLE people in a household drive the vehicle. People drive differently.

Utter nonsense about a trans having to adjust. Did you ever hear any other manufacturer create such a nonsensical excuse? A car is not a pair of sneakers. In fact read your manual and Ford tells you that there is no formal break-in for the vehicle. They say just take it easy for a a few hundred miles.

They NEVER say in the manual, "make sure you let the trans adjust to you since it's a piece of crap".

#2,028 · (Edited)
This propaganda about breaking it in and adapting to driving habits is bogus and both you and Ford know it.

Although it's a new type, the trans is poorly designed. There are massive isssues and Ford refuses to address them. They try to stall (no pun intended) until the warranty expires and then suddenly the trans needs to be replaced. There are countless stories like that on other forums.

Please explain this. My Focus has over 17,000 miles on it and it has well adapted to my driving habits. The same problem which is dangerous is ocurring to me also. Cars are not built to sputter on purpose. That is a complete and rather condescending reply to give a customer.

You keep saying the problem is the same but the causes may be different. BUNK!!! The problem is the problem and Ford knows that if they admit to the problem the cost of "in warranty" repairs will cost Ford a small fortune.

How do you explain it having the same issues with 17,000 miles as some do with 300? And I maintain my car and and treat it as if it were a family member. Always have and always will. You keep repeating break-in. It's more like Ford side-steping the issue until a person breaks down on the side of the road and then Ford keeps it's fingers crossed that the car is out of warranty and the customer gets stuck with the bill.

You're not being upfront and honest. Why? There are few responses here where people come back and post that Ford fixed the issue.

There are instances were Ford did indeed install a new trans (very few instances ) and the problem started over again and Ford took the position that either the warranty is up or you're not getting a new trans again. That is fact, people.

What you try to do is tell them to contact you or Ford. That's just to get them off this site because the issue isn't going away and the complaints are mounting.

What good is good mileage when the car is unsafe and not enjoyable to drive and... is always in the repair shop?

Wake up folks and remember "Natasha" who is likley some male tech at Ford is part of the Ford propaganda and P.R. machine. His or her job is to present an image that Ford actually cares. They have one of the worst customer service records of any automaker.

And save the sorry to hear the problem nonsense. I have bought Fords all my life. This is NOT normal folks. They give you an ulcer first and if you are very, very lucky you might get a problem of this magnitude fixed for free.

How many of you actually had the problem truly fixed? If you're complaining at 300 or 3000 miles rest assured the problem will get worse. That's why many have had MULTIPLE visits to their dealershops. And it is why Ford tells their dealers not to fix the vehicle. Go back a few pages and read what one customer was told and the print-out he was given. It's a stalling game in the hopes of warranty expiration.

Is there anyone who was out of warranty and Ford fixed the problem free of charge anyway? Perhaps a token few so Ford can use that as propaganda to say that they stand behind their products. All they do is stand behind the cashiers's desk and collect money on problems that started under warranty and now the vehicle is out of warranty. It's a nuisnace to Ford and hence we have "Natasha". Anyone ever talk live to a "Natasha". Doubtful but I'm sure Ford will insist she exists. She very well may exist but as you can see her function is to appease.

So "Natasha" try explaining why at 17,000 miles I still have the problem with 3 trips to the dealer( one at a different dealer to see what they would say) and the so called "trans software" run twice? We both know the answer. The design is poor and Ford will not address the problem until there is a class action suit demanding a recall and free repairs. Way too costly for Ford to do voluntarily.

Wake up Focus owners. This isn't the gem of a car that Ford wants you to think it is. And don't get me started on their crappy radio that costs a fortine and after 4 runs of sftware still doesn't work properly.

People you want the truth? Contact or get a copy of Consumer Reports of this vehicle. It's rated at the bottom of the heap due to guess what? Radio issues and transmision issues!!!

P.S. People watch the excuse "Natasha" makes and how she will tell me to contact her or Ford. BREAKING NEWS: Just how many times do I have to bring a brand new car back to a dealer? Folks if you have a lemon law in your state...make use of it. The problems won't get better as the car ages.

Here is something to also ponder. She says the car has to adjust to YOUR driving habits. Ask her what her excuse is or what you're supposed to do if MULTIPLE people in a household drive the vehicle. People drive differently.

Utter nonsense about a trans having to adjust. Did you ever hear any other manufacturer create such a nonsensical excuse? A car is not a pair of sneakers. In fact read your manual and Ford tells you that there is no formal break-in for the vehicle. They say just take it easy for a a few hundred miles.

They NEVER say in the manual, "make sure you let the trans adjust to you since it's a piece of crap".

#2,030 · (Edited)

#2,032 ·
Here's the solution:

Put this piece of crap up for sale a.s.a.p. or trade it in and buy any one of the following:

Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, or Kia. If you can afford it buy a Lexus.

There are always exceptions to the rule but for the most part when there is an issue it's usually minor and not the norm and very quickly resolved. I own 5 cars only one is the Focus. Guess which 4 I never had to do anything to since I purchased them.

I have one cheap Hyundai Elantra with 200,000 miles on it and was in two front end collisions and repaired. It's runs like a charm and aside from the accident repairs I never did anything but routine service.

None of them, I repeat none of them have issues like this issue with Ford and none of them would be as insulting to buyers as to suggest drive it and somehow it will adapt to you and all will be well.

I repeat yet again...FORD stalls with excuses so your warranty will run out then it's your problem. The fact that you won't buy another car from them doesn't seem to bother them.

You ask why? Because Ford's new markets are in developing countries not the U.S. What they won't earn here they make up for elsewhere which is why they don't care. Don't believe me look it up for yourself.

And please don't be fooled by "Natasha's" propaganda. They know the only repair is to replace the trans with a different type and they refuse to do it.

It was an experiemnt for Ford and this "new" trans has FAILED miserably.

If you doubt me ask yourself this. Why are there so many complaints just on this site alone. There are dozens more forums talking about this same issue.

#2,034 ·
Bottom line: This car is crap. The transmisson will fail at some point in the majority of these lemons but you will never read about that here. You will get the bill.

How many of you went to dealers while still under warranties and didn't get satisfaction?

All of them are manufactured identically so what makes you think that only a few will fail but the rest will be fine.

Is that indicative of what you are reading here? NO!!!!! There's more complaints than people saying how great the trans is.

The higher end radio is a whole other disaster.

#2,035 ·
One last thing to think about folks. And this is first hand experience just last night.

My daughter takes the car and is gone no more than 5 minutes and calls me on the cell and says there's something wrong with the car. She describes what's happening and it's EXACTLY like all the issues here. I tell her to turn around and head home.

I wait about 15 minutes and I take the car but I can't duplicate the issue.

Now you ask what's my point?

This is what happens to some of you when you take it to dealer. The issue is intermittent but it's there in a big way. It eventaully becomes more frequent until the trans fails.

Look up the stories here and elsewhere. If you read my other psosts then you know I have over 17,000 miles and I have been dealing with this since 400 miles and have gotten ZERO satisfaction.

I get the same bogus answers at 17,000 miles that some of you have rec'd at 300. "The car needs to adapt to the driver."

In all my years I never heard such a stupid excuse. Multiple driver folks...multiiple drivers...ask "Natasha" what's her excuse when there's more than one driver.

Are we all supposed to NOT let anyone else drive it? We aren't dealing with sneakers or baseball gloves here folks that have to adapt to you.

If you noticed, every reply this "Natasha" gives is the same or she tells you to contact her. Why? To get your complaining off the board.

Buyer be VERY VERY aware that if you buy this car you are buying continual headaches.

Ford is a joke.

#2,038 ·
Ford is a joke.
Ford is the punchline.

The idiots like myself that bought one and are now stuck with it are the joke.

Mine's in the shop right now... expecting to receive a call this afternoon that they could not duplicate the problem and that the car is operating normally.

And I'll tell you what:

Nothing will make you realize just how messed up your Focus is like driving a different car for a while.

I don't particularly care for this Fusion I have as a rental...

But at least it keeps accelerating after it shifts to second gear (my Focus falls flat on its face as soon as it shifts to second).

It also is capable of other tricks my Focus can't do, like keeping up with traffic, and accelerating up a slight grade without downshifting.

#2,036 ·
Sorry I know I already said one last thing but this is for "Natasha".

Post your DIRECT phone number not the 800 number or an email address. A number that will go DIRECTLY to your phone!

Wanna bet there is no real "Natasha" or that you will get some other Ford rep. It doesn't matter anyway when all is said and done because none of us can ever verify if it's really her unless we live close enough to visit headquarters and meet her in person. And it really doesn't make a difference since it won't fix yours or my trans.

She's in all likelihood a cyber creation.

#2,044 ·
Anyone notice "Natasha" is missing? Probably the first time someone called her out and told her she's full of shit with her appeasement tactics.

FORD is probably doing a circle jerk right now trying to come up with a new strategy of appeasement.

The sad part is we are all onto to them but little we can do.

Where's all the attornies who are willing to file a class action suit? There sure is hell enough evidnce.

This board is indictment enough. Look at the multitude of similar problems.

#2,046 ·
I'm infuriated with my car.

The lemon law in MA is only up to 15k miles. The problem didn't really become a problem until it got hot here in June. Now all of a sudden I am grinding left and right and it sounds like my transmission is being shredded.

Every time I call the dealership, I get "well you know the grinding noise is normal" and it doesn't help that I'm a girl, so they all try to talk me out of it.

It is NOT normal for your car to make a prolonged, metallic grinding noise. Ever.

#2,047 ·
Tell me about it.

Mine started around 20k miles and I've been dealing with it for a year and half and an additional 39k miles. Well past lemon-ability, but not past me pursuing a lawsuit.

#2,061 ·
If you all check out my post, I believe it was #1931....no matter what anyone says you can't drive this car like a normal automatic tranny. You have to realize that this is a manual transmission without driver intervention....at least that's how Ford describes it. In saying that I will also say that you have to know when there's a problem and find a dealer who is willing to take the time to listen to any concerns that you may have. Fortunately for me I was able to find a dealer who has stood behind me and called Ford out on the issues I was having with my tranny. My car has been sitting on a dealership lot with it's transmission torn down since June 24th.....am I happy about having a tranny torn out at 13,500 miles, hell no. However, Ford has gone out of their way to make this situation as easy as it can get for me, including paying for me to drive a comparable rental until mine is fixed....which is hopefully only another week or two away. For all of you who say that Ford doesn't care is total rubbish, but the fact is they really don't have a fix except to have their techs tear down the tranny...which as in my case is basically a last ditch attempt to find the problem. Nobody wants a car with a rebuilt tranny, much less having one done at 13,500 miles but my tech did find some damaged parts and hopefully when I do get the car back it will be better than it was before. Here's praying for good luck on my part for a change......

#2,062 ·
If you all check out my post, I believe it was #1931....no matter what anyone says you can't drive this car like a normal automatic tranny. You have to realize that this is a manual transmission without driver intervention....at least that's how Ford describes it.
Yes, I understand, I am doing it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

...am I happy about having a tranny torn out at 13,500 miles, hell no.
13,500 miles! Sheesh! Mine lasted 30,000+ before it developed problems. You must be doing something wrong. You do realize that the DCT is not a 'normal automatic', right? It's really an 'automated manual'. [:p]

... until mine is fixed....which is hopefully only another week or two away.
And hopefully it's actually fixed when you pick it up. That's an experience that I, too, long to have... someday.

For all of you who say that Ford doesn't care is total rubbish, but the fact is they really don't have a fix except to have their techs tear down the tranny...which as in my case is basically a last ditch attempt to find the problem.
They have the fix for my issue. The issue appeared with the replacement clutch, which is obviously faulty. But it still hasn't been replaced yet.

Two weeks ago I replaced a failed hard drive for a user. The replacement drive that Dell sent went bad the next day.

This kind of thing does happen... so why is Ford refusing to replace my clutch a second time to fix the problem that only started when the clutch was replaced the first time? I can tell you why... it's because they don't care.

#2,063 ·
First of all, my problems started from day one....it got worse as I continued to drive the car. I can say that after one year of ownership I have yet to have a good driving experience with my car. I guess it's my fault, I didn't do research before I bought the car and my salesman was not very informative either....if I had known this I wouldn't have traded in my 2006. But, I refuse to play the role of being a victim.....I see people on here constantly complaining yet they don't make a move to put pressure on Ford. I have a packet from the BBB that I have partially filled out, the reason I didn't submit a claim yet is because Ford offered to let my dealer make one last attempt to find out what's wrong with my car. I can promise you though, if my car isn't perfect when I get it back I won't sit back and allow Ford to get away with ripping me off. I will submit the claim packet to the BBB and force them to make it right....I refuse to accept the excuse that this is the way the transmission is supposed to be. I also won't be forced to accept less than perfection for the $19,000 I spent to buy this vehicle.

#2,065 ·
I have a packet from the BBB that I have partially filled out... I will submit the claim packet to the BBB and force them to make it right...
The BBB has no power. It's not a government agency that can force Ford to do anything. Is Ford even a member?

I don't want to discourage you from sending in that packet. Maybe it will help. But don't expect it to.

Some pencil-necked myopic MBA exec inside Ford has made a calculation: it's cheaper to sit on these issues and hope they go away than to fix what they know is a huge problem. He has calculated the damage to Ford's reputation from angry owners. He has calculated the loss of future sales. No matter how angry we are, he thinks it's cheaper for Ford to stall and play stupid and hope we go away.

We can change that. Write letters to car magazines. Write letters to your State Attorneys General. Waste time at dealerships bringing the car in for the same issue over and over. Go over the head of the Service Department and talk to management at your dealerships. Submit packets to the BBB. Write to Consumer Reports. Write Ford directly:

Customer Relationship Center
p.o.Box 6128
Dearborn, MI 48121

None of these things individually will do jack squat. But all of us doing a few of them will make enough noise to change the calculation of that idiot executive and make it worth Ford's while to do the right thing.

#2,064 ·
Bottom line is that FORD makes CRAP. They damned well know by now there's an issue and they know too that the "fix" doesn't work because the trans design itself is the issue. They used the consumer to test a prototype trans that was totally unproven.

Anyone paying attention can see that only a few here actaully got them to admit there's a problem.

The rest all have been subject to same stalling tactics and excuses. There is no fix. Those they claim they had a fix don't realize that they just had the old parts replaced with newer junk. In time they will be back where they started.

Unload the garbage A.S.A.P.

Notice there's no Natasha since I called her out on her bogus "help".
She's planted here by FORD for public relations. There's nothing she can do that you can't do yourself.

Has she gotten anyone their money back or another car?

#2,066 ·
Unload the garbage A.S.A.P.

QUOTE]

That is easier said than done especially when I'm in the hole for $4000 of negative equity. The only way out of this car is a repossession at this point, there is no dealer in the world who is going to trade me out of this car. Three damn weeks and no sign of parts at the dealership yet.....frustrated, yes I am! I say just put the old parts back in and I'll drive it til it blows up.....then it becomes an insurance claim.

#2,067 · (Edited)
Finally got to scheduling my visit - mentioned the clutch slipping as my number one issue to get fixed. Other issues I mentioned (AKA I want them documented) were my suspension clunk (could be TSB or a bad tie rod end or something?) as well as my build-up of gunk in my coolant reservoir.

Wish me luck![pray]

In the meantime, I'll be driving my brother's winter beater:

#2,068 ·
Can't say for sure about everything yet, but the service guy called and said they couldn't get the suspension to clunk (maybe I'll just try greasing my bump stops myself first?)

I told him I probably had a loose ground wire (G-104) because of my DTC P0850_62 and he said I did and that it took care of the clutch shudder. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

He also had them pull it back in the shop to check the gunk in the coolant reservoir. So we'll see about that tomorrow?

#2,069 ·
Well I have more information on my situation.

The issue with my car is NOT the clutch chatter that is common, though it does have a little of that and clutch slippage.

What I am hearing is an intermittent failure of the clutch to disengage fully-- it is the gears grinding together. A loud, metallic grinding as heard on the video I linked to.

Additionally, I have oil seepage under the bell housing where the transmission and the engine join. I have photos to document that.

If you stand facing the windshield on my car, put two hands on the bumper, and rock the car, you can hear what sounds like marbles rolling around in the transmission from the general area of the clutch housing. I have verified with a ford master mechanic, who was kind enough to go rock 20 or so focuses out on his lot, that anything other than ONE CLICK at max travel in each direction when hitting the parking pawl, is normal. The sound I hear, which sounds like metal rolling around in liquid in the transmission is not.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. I explained the seepage and the failure of the clutch to disengage. I am 100% sure that they will not be able to repeat the issue, but thankfully I can replicate the transmission rattle 100% of the time.

#2,070 ·
You hit the lottery with the oil seepage - this is such a clear indication of contaminated clutches even Ford techs will take notice. At a minimum you should get new seals and clutches; the real question is will they take it further and see if consequential damage has occurred. Good luck with it, but I think you're on a positive path.

#2,073 · (Edited)
Gettin' real tired of your BS...

The dealer said my coolant build up would need a flush if I wanted to get rid of the grime build-up (~$200) and tried to say it could have been a reaction from the distilled (not drinking water with fluorine) water I put in when it was low... [confused] [scratch]

I corrected him and said I saw it in there when it was low and I went to fill it up which is the only reason I spotted the grime/build-up in the first place. [slap]

Anyway, he said I could keep driving with it in there and it shouldn't hurt anything (I don't know about that). He said the pressure was 15 psi (the acceptable range is 15-17) and didn't mention anything about it slowly leaking [vapors]...

We'll see about the clutch when I get it back. As for my suspension, he went to give it one more go-around to see if he could get it to clunk.

Strangely, this was probably still my best service experience since I purchased my car.

EDIT: If I need to flush my radiator (on a 2 year old car, mind you), I can do it myself. It may also just be bad coolant?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=542731
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/181593-oil-my-coolant-degas-reservoir-pic.html

Turns out Motorcraft orange is pretty much just Dex-Cool... I hope this isn't the start of the Ford coolant sludge epidemic.

#2,074 ·
I think you just have to find a dealership that has a good reputation. If I had stayed at my original dealer I would still be on square one with the transmission. The only thing I got from them was a two page fact sheet that said the noises were normal. I took that sheet and my car to another dealership and all they had to do was drive the car to admit that there were problems. After a month of waiting I have a totally rebuilt transmission, with mostly new parts and it purrs like a kitten....my car no longer rattles, shudders, or makes the annoying grinding noises. As a matter of fact you can hardly feel it shift it's that smooth. Don't let anyone give you BS, this tranny is not supposed to make rattling noises and it sure doesn't take 10,000 miles to break in either. If you have rattles and shuddering coming from the transmission it will not get better, find a dealer and be a pain in the butt until you get Ford to tear down the tranny and inspect it.....I had a lot of damaged parts that were the cause of the issues. I really believe this is not so much a design issue as it is the fact that most of these cars are leaving the manufacturing plant not being put together correctly.

#2,083 ·
I wish there was a way to distribute your post worldwide to all the people having problems.

One recurring theme is the ford memo says all those symptoms are normal, but if they are "normal" how can they go away when you get it fixed ?

#2,075 ·
Got my car back.

1. Clutch still shudders and chatters - no surprise there.
*But one thing I did notice is that my loose ground (G-104) that was tightened to fix my ground fault DTC (P0850_62) seems to have fixed my weird bogging issue where the car wouldn't downshift under moderate throttle but downshifted twice when I pressed it down more. It makes the driving experience better - but still not perfect with the shudders, harsh shifts, and chatter noises.

2. Couldn't replicate the suspension noises. I can't blame them, it didn't do it on my way home and if they had it on a lift to fix the ground wire, it probably won't make noises for a while.

3. Yeah, they wanted to charge me for my coolant issue even though the first flush isn't recommended until 6 year/100k miles. After doing my own research, it looks like the gel stuff in my reservoir is my coolant gone bad when exposed to air (I should also note that I had a slow coolant leak) - meaning it will need to get flushed because it's not providing protection against something (corrosion, I presume). Except it's going to keep coming back unless I find the coolant leak... or unless I take it to another dealership. One other user had the same issue and had his radiator replaced... I'm certainly not going to pay for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.