Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 220 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #2191
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 250969
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Millerjk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone have issues with their focus stalling out on deceleration? I have a 2012 Focus with the dual clutch transmission and it has the shuddering upon acceleration as well as it it will often rev up but not accelerate, then slowly pick up speed or surge when least expecting. Sometimes the car stalls out when I am slowing to a stop or lifting off the gas. I have had it into the dealer numerous times, they have replaced the TCM one and flashed it over and over. They tell me the problem isn't bad enough to replace under warranty.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #2192
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: VW GTI, Mazda-3 after 2012-Focus

Points 567, Level 11
Points: 567, Level: 11 Points: 567, Level: 11 Points: 567, Level: 11
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerjk View Post
Anyone have issues with their focus stalling out on deceleration? I have a 2012 Focus with the dual clutch transmission and it has the shuddering upon acceleration as well as it it will often rev up but not accelerate, then slowly pick up speed or surge when least expecting. Sometimes the car stalls out when I am slowing to a stop or lifting off the gas. I have had it into the dealer numerous times, they have replaced the TCM one and flashed it over and over. They tell me the problem isn't bad enough to replace under warranty.
I never had the problem you describe on "de" acceleration but I had all the others you describe. I think the dealer svc dept would have a different suggestion if their own wife and infants had to ride in a car that bogs dangerously when you accelerate in traffic.

easy to quote a memo from the safety of your service desk
2015-VW GTI DSG, 2013-mazda3 , 2012-Focus SE DCT trans , 2006-VW GTI , DSG trans ,2002 Celica GTS 180hp VVT lexus motor , 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 with fact roller cam, stainless headers, etc , Triumph TR8, with Buick aluminum V8 from the factory

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 07-06-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #2193
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 222890
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus

Points 8, Level 1
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Damieboo Good Standing Member
Back again...we had our clutch replaced about 2 months ago and the car drove...not GREAT but definitely better. It felt like it had more power when accelerating from stops but it had the occasional sketchy shift. Fast forward to now, the shifting problems have come back twice as bad as they've ever been. I went on a 4 hour trip in Arizona not once did it shift normally. The RMPs would jump up and down when cruising, and the transmission is particularly bad when I've been driving at highway speeds for a while, and then go back to in-town driving. Must correlate to the engine running hot. So we're taking it back to Ford as soon as they have an opening.

I noticed our PATS (passive anti theft system) randomly turned on by itself for the first time since we've had the car and that was around the same time we started experiencing the shifting problems for the 2nd time. Wondering if something in the computer was reset and that's what's causing it? I'm just glad they extended the service warranty. We have a little under 40k miles to get this problem figured out.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #2194
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101415
What I Drive: 2012, Red, SEL

Points 130, Level 2
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 2 DaK_Mojave Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerjk View Post
Don't have the stall problem yet but all your other issues we are experiencing. Am calling to take mine in soon for clutch replacement. Sad thing is all car dealers and other people know about this POS transmission so any resale value is most likely out the window. 2012 Focus is Ford's new Edsel.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #2195
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101415
What I Drive: 2012, Red, SEL

Points 130, Level 2
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 2 DaK_Mojave Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damieboo View Post
Back again...we had our clutch replaced about 2 months ago and the car drove...not GREAT but definitely better. It felt like it had more power when accelerating from stops but it had the occasional sketchy shift. Fast forward to now, the shifting problems have come back twice as bad as they've ever been. I went on a 4 hour trip in Arizona not once did it shift normally. The RMPs would jump up and down when cruising, and the transmission is particularly bad when I've been driving at highway speeds for a while, and then go back to in-town driving. Must correlate to the engine running hot. So we're taking it back to Ford as soon as they have an opening.
Interesting, talking with a neighbor last night that your time time line is fitting his Focus time line as well. Got the clutches cleaned and then about 2 months the issues start popping up. Another neighbor's focus has been in the shop for about a month getting "fixed". Ours has been really acting up lately so this week I make the appointment to get it looked at so it can be scheduled for the clutch replacement. As I told the one neighbor, "time to look at another car manufacture for our next car. Ford has completely dissapointed us with this car."
Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #2196
Focus Rookie

Points 8, Level 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Just dropped our car off at Ford today for them to test drive it. I had to drop my husband off at work beforehand and the car was shifting...quite well actually. And it seemed to have more power than usual. This is completely mystifying and couldn't have happened at a worse time. If the shifting problems don't present themselves during the test drive, they'll think I'm making it up and send the car back without any work done on it. I'm wondering if the computer system is messing up. Not really sure how the transmission and clutch works but with the PATS system turning on by itself and the shifting problems coming back at the same time, I have to wonder if something electrical got messed up. Hoping something can be done though, I'll update when I get the car back.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #2197
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117726
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE black

Points 53, Level 1
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 1 Dumpbuster Good Standing Member
Ford doesn't have any idea, much less a better one.

I have been struggling with the tranny issue since shortly after taking delivery of my Focus SE 'automatic' in June 2012. I have had some Ford CSR's sincerely try to help but the dealer has been straightforward in advising me that the resetting of modules/replacement of clutches, etc., is 'window dressing'. Ford knows it designed and built a bad tranny but the amazing thing is they are putting the same defective tranny in the 2016's. Regsitered letters, return receipt requested to Frederiek Toney, Ford's President of Global Service were received (green return receipt received) but no one from Ford has contacted me in response to those letters.
The recently announced class action suit is going to be a headline maker according to the law firm that contacted me last week. The hesitation/near stalling has finally been classified as a safety issue by the NHTSA so it appears the court will rule that the issue must be covered by the national 'lemon law'. Since Ford doesn't have a functional tranny that can be swapped with the defective '6-speed automatic' it will be interesting to see what the settlement will be.
BTW, anyone else had any success in contacting anyone at Ford other than a CSR who claims not to know the phone number for Ford's corporate offices?
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #2198
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2015 Ingot Silver SE

Points 6,122, Level 50
Points: 6,122, Level: 50 Points: 6,122, Level: 50 Points: 6,122, Level: 50
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 8 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpbuster View Post
...Ford knows it designed and built a bad tranny but the amazing thing is they are putting the same defective tranny in the 2016's. ...
I thought Getrag designed and "builds" (do you mean "assembles"?) the transaxles.

Regardless, not a bad one in mine and the majority of owners' cases.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #2199
Focus Rookie

Points 8, Level 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:

I noticed our PATS (passive anti theft system) randomly turned on by itself for the first time since we've had the car and that was around the same time we started experiencing the shifting problems for the 2nd time. Wondering if something in the computer was reset and that's what's causing it? I'm just glad they extended the service warranty. We have a little under 40k miles to get this problem figured out.
It was more or less a bust. Our car mysteriously started shifting perfectly the morning we were scheduled to take it in. Mysterious, mysterious...almost like they planned it. 8 hours later they called saying they couldn't replicate the shifting problems but they did a TSM module update and clutch relearn. We did nothing to the car between Wednesday night and Thursday morning (thursday being our appointment with Ford) so I don't know why it suddenly fixed itself. Since that morning, it's been shifting beautifully.

I'm glad to hear about the law suit. This car IS dangerous to drive. I could very easily be rear-ended because it does the stall stutter shift from a stoplight, or rear-end the person in front of me because it suddenly upshifts twice and sends me rocketing forward before I even register what happened. I have almost been killed taking a right on a red light because I have plenty of time and space to make it, and I pull out, but the car suddenly bogs down and refuses to go when I'm hammering the gas peddle and traffic catches up to me. Highway ramps are fun, I almost never make it to speed before the merging lane ends.

I wish the Ford Focus was worth all this trouble.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #2200
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117726
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE black

Points 53, Level 1
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 1 Dumpbuster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
I thought Getrag designed and "builds" (do you mean "assembles"?) the transaxles.

Regardless, not a bad one in mine and the majority of owners' cases.
Too Old, you appear to not realize a transmission and a transaxle are not the same assemblies. Also, the manufacturer of the automobile, in this case, Ford, is the responsible party for all assemblies and parts when customer issues arise.
Further, you state, "Regardless, not a bad one in mine and the majority of owners' cases."
Apparently, despite your posting to this forum, you are not aware that Ford has acknoweldged the problem exists and has extended ther warranties on 2012 Focus trannies to 100K. Further, this thread contains hundreds of posts related to this problem which negates your claim of what the 'majority of owners' are experiencing.
There wouldn't be a class-action suit with NHTSA involvement if it was an isolated occurrence.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.