Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Transmission Shaking

393K views 1K replies 297 participants last post by  drag-t 
#1 ·
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.

#863 ·
i got the clutch pack replaced a month ago and its never ran this good since new.it was a bit of a run around but the dealer worked with me and it did shudder while i drove it with them in it.then it took a month or so for the parts to get there.took them 3 days to replace everything.as well i had new tail lights, trunk interior ,front bearings and front sway bar links installed.im happy now just hope it stays this good

#864 ·
So here is my update,

I went to the Ford dealership for typical service oil change. Went to complain about the transmission shuddering. They took it in and did the typical oil change, tire rotation, etc.

Keep in mind the car now has 40,700 miles on it. I have extended warranty with Ford when I first brought the car used. The Ford dealer told me it will cost 100 to flash the software since it's not included in the warranty which I presume it's bumper to bumper 3/36,000 but not in power-train? So anyways I was desperate for a fix since the shuddering bothers my wife and even her friends when they ride with her tell her that they notice something is wrong with her car. She feels embarrassed by that.

Why is Ford trying make me pay for 100 dollar re-flash when they are fully aware their transmission is defective and they just want to pass the cost onto me. Oh and the minute I drove off the dealer lot the transmission shuddered.. there goes 100 bucks out of the window. I already send a PM to Ford Customer rep on the board about this 100 dollar fee on reflash.

Quite frankly, Ford keeps giving us the run around and the minute their warranty expires they want to shove the cost repairs to us even when we have extended warranty. This was our first Ford and more likely our last since the wife and I are discussing on getting rid of it and going somewhere else. Ford lost a customer and I was willing to get the new F150 but I guess I'll take my 40 grand somewhere else.

#866 ·
yst I stuck at traffic for 2 hrs.... the transmission does shake a bit once i partially release the brake from a full stop. it annoys me a bit. i shift in to s mode to see if only happens in d. and the s mode is actually smoother when ur car is "creeping" and the shake for upshift is significantly lower. however, downshift from 2 to 1 still shake a bit....

#869 ·
I've had very few issues with my 2012 SE hatch. A few months after I purchased it (4/12) I had an engine mount replaced after I noticed some roughness at idle. I thought I was having the same issue recently, so I went to a new dealership as I'd recently moved. I dropped it off this morning to get a call this afternoon saying that they were going to replace my transmission????? I could pick the car up and drop it off next week, when they'll hook me up with a rental car for three or four days while the work is completed. I am still within warranty....but this is the first I've heard of a complete transmission replacement.

So when I went to pick up, I asked one of the service advisors to speak with me about what was going on. They said they'd seen 20-30 foci with the same issue and the fix was with the transmission and my engine mounts were OK. They didn't know if they were going to replace the transmission just yet, but once they get into the repair, they might depending on cost.

I'm a little concerned right now! [ohcrap]

#873 ·
Tsb 13-9-4

My wife just purchased a used 2012 Ford Focus back in august with 34,000. It had 2,000 left on the warranty and we took it in to be looked over before it expired to make sure everything was working properly. It now has 38,000 and we are experiencing the shaking and shuddering for the past several weeks. Tonight we noticed a type of grinding noise....best described like the sound of grinding on a manual gear shift. In reading this forum, we are very concerned about the cost of having this fixed. I noticed a few people speak of a TSB and I found the most recent one (I think) is the 13-9-4. Can we take the car to the dealer and have this fixed for free?

#874 ·
My wife just purchased a used 2012 Ford Focus back in august with 34,000. It had 2,000 left on the warranty and we took it in to be looked over before it expired to make sure everything was working properly. It now has 38,000 and we are experiencing the shaking and shuddering for the past several weeks. Tonight we noticed a type of grinding noise....best described like the sound of grinding on a manual gear shift. In reading this forum, we are very concerned about the cost of having this fixed. I noticed a few people speak of a TSB and I found the most recent one (I think) is the 13-9-4. Can we take the car to the dealer and have this fixed for free?
Yes, the powertrain warranty is good until 60,000.

#876 ·
We bought a 2012 SE new about a 1.5 years ago and have taken it in several times for the shaking issue. This is my wife's car and she likes the car in every other way but the transmission issue is pretty severe. It drives her crazy and she is embarrassed to give other people rides in her car. She took it to our dealership in Santa Cruz Ca and insisted that she ride with the mechanic before and after. When she went to pick it up she was told that the mechanic installed the latest sw fix, took it for a test ride, and the problem still exists. He said there is mechanical damage and the the DCT had to get new parts or be replaced. That was almost three weeks ago. She called last week and they had no idea when the parts would arrive but said it would be no earlier than Thanksgiving. That was pretty disappointing because when she took it in she told them we had a pretty long trip planned for Thanksgiving that we need the car for and we're nervous to take the Focus with the DCT issue. I will post updates on the situation - pretty frustrated that it takes so long to get the parts.

#877 ·
I have lost count of how many posts I have read here that parts are backordered for weeks.

That should be a telling indicator for everyone here about just how many people are having problems.

Sure, it only affects a small percent of production, but woe unto you if you are one of them.

#880 ·
My wife bought a 2012 focus in july of 2012. Ran great for first 25,000 miles. Now transmission shutters and makes grinding noise more and more frequently. Been to dealer several times and Ford says this normal! If this is normal then why didnt it do this from the beginning. I drive a manual transmission mustang and it doesnt shutter like this. Moose sounds like an Idiot!

#881 ·
Howdy jdp126,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager to assist. Please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership (with date of last appt.).

Todd

#882 ·
Shudder blues

At 14,000 miles I too have the shudder blues. If the car was designed to drive like this someone should be fired. I'm 63 and have owned a few cars. Never had this problem. Today was cool, in the 50's and it was really noticeable. Feels like I'm driving stick and letting the clutch out too slowly. Ride 'em bronco! YEE-HAW! Not smooth at all. If I was told up front to expect this problem, I would not have bought it. This shudder is unacceptable. I have not taken it in to the dealership. I'm just disgusted. I don't want this hassle. Who will even buy this car, with this problem, when I sell it? It must be fixed, corrected, repaired, or replaced. Yes, I will take it to the dealer. If he tells me to just live with it, I will ask him to buy it from me at a fair price. If that's a no go, I'll seek legal counsel. Sorry Ford. I believed in you. I trusted you to provide me with a quality product. You let me down.

#883 ·
At 14,000 miles I too have the shudder blues. If the car was designed to drive like this someone should be fired. I'm 63 and have owned a few cars. Never had this problem. Today was cool, in the 50's and it was really noticeable. Feels like I'm driving stick and letting the clutch out too slowly. Ride 'em bronco! YEE-HAW! Not smooth at all. If I was told up front to expect this problem, I would not have bought it. This shudder is unacceptable. I have not taken it in to the dealership. I'm just disgusted. I don't want this hassle. Who will even buy this car, with this problem, when I sell it? It must be fixed, corrected, repaired, or replaced. Yes, I will take it to the dealer. If he tells me to just live with it, I will ask him to buy it from me at a fair price. If that's a no go, I'll seek legal counsel. Sorry Ford. I believed in you. I trusted you to provide me with a quality product. You let me down.
Ford is a large successful world automaker. The problem is that on this one issue, they have handled it horribly and don't appear to have any real fix.

#889 ·
Transmission Issues with New Focus?

Guys,

I was in Hawaii the past two weeks and rented two Focii during this time. I have a number of Focus cars( 2000, 2009 and 2011) and have to say I was disapointed in the transmision in the new 2013 version. At low speeds the transmissions did not seem to know which gear it was supposed to be in. It was jerky in both drive and reverse and also seemed to hestiate when I stepped on the gas. The 2011 with the old 4 speed was much smoother.

Is this common to the Focus now? If so, I don't think I will be purchasing another one.

Curious to know what other's experiences are?

Jim

#890 ·
Guys,

I was in Hawaii the past two weeks and rented two Focii during this time. I have a number of Focus cars( 2000, 2009 and 2011) and have to say I was disapointed in the transmision in the new 2013 version. At low speeds the transmissions did not seem to know which gear it was supposed to be in. It was jerky in both drive and reverse and also seemed to hestiate when I stepped on the gas. The 2011 with the old 4 speed was much smoother.

Is this common to the Focus now? If so, I don't think I will be purchasing another one.

Curious to know what other's experiences are?

Jim
User experiences are all over the place because earlier transmissions had leaking seals and many versions of half-baked firmware.

Why didn't you have a good experience? It's hard to say since there are many variables.
There are many people that like their DCT so we know it is certainly capable of functioning well.

If you have the opportunity, try driving a new one and see if it is markedly different from the the rental car.

#891 ·
morning Jim, this report from another thread here may be of interest, post creidt to ghafan

Here is an interesting article..............WET DCT SET TO DISPLACE DRY IN EXPANDING MARKET

At present, Getrag supplies its dry clutch 6DCT250 to both Renault and Ford, and Volvo also employs it on the V30 and some of its current mid-sized models. It is expected that Getrag will replace this unit with a wet clutch version offering greater torque capacity and, possibly, seven rather than six speeds. This will complete Getrag’s move away from dry clutch DCTs, leaving only Fiat, with its high-torque D635, and Volkswagen, with its seven-speed DQ200, as providers of dry clutch transmissions.

Volvo, for its part, will soon be moving away from DCTs in their present form. The Swedish company’s innovative new modular two-liter gasoline and diesel engines will be paired with Getrag’s new six-speed manual transmission or one of two planetary automatics from Aisin – an eight speed and a six speed. “These transmissions are so efficient that there’s little point in going for a DCT,” said Volvo engineering director Derek Crabb. Nevertheless, added Crabb as an aside, it would be a different matter when it came to the planned three-cylinder derivatives of the new engine.

If Volvo continues to remain loyal to Getrag, the wet clutch replacement for the 6DCT250 could well fit the bill – as could the new entry-level 6DCT150 for the lower-torque gasoline versions.

Getrag begins local production of DCTs in China next year. The unit to be produced in China beginning in 2016 is a new entry-level wet clutch DCT, the six-speed 6DCT150. Optimized for cost, it will first see production in Asia but is also expected to find a market among Western automakers. Its relatively low torque rating makes it unsuitable for most European turbo diesel engines. However, it is easy to imagine a good future for it in North America, where the first-generation dry clutch DCTs from Getrag-Ford (and also Fiat, on the Dodge Dart) have had a mixed reception from drivers accustomed to super-smooth CVTs and planetary automatics

source http://drivelinenews.com/news/wet-dc...anding-market/

#893 ·
Absolutely - I've had the same problem, and received the same notice; so we are supposed to pay $20K + for a new car that acts like it's 20 years old; wait until the clunking noise, I've had that going on for months, of course, they can't hear it when I take it in; but they are supposed to be installing a new clutch to see if that fixes the issues, I'm not hopeful - and it's been 3 weeks, they still haven't got the part in yet. I'm with you on the lawyer - I actually looked up numbers today for Lemon Law lawyers; I will never buy Ford again.

#895 ·
There was a post yesterday by ghiafan about how Getrag, the maker of these trannies, will be moving away from them.

#903 ·
I had over 18 months of intense shuddering and loud gear grinding. I just had the TSB 13-9-4 applied last week and the problem has been resolved. I couldn't believe, but I went to test drive it in the same conditions I used to, and it's gone. The work order doesn't mention any parts replacement, but I believe it was rather all about flashing the software.

I can't believe I had the dealer claiming the shuddering was normal, but after complaining here on the forum, Ford offered assistance and escalated to my dealer. Problem solved. I'm a happy camper... now I'm off to get resolution on a bunch of other problems with this car, but the shuddering was the most serious one.

#904 · (Edited)
Glad it's running well for you, too many dealers are trying to duck this fixable issue by incorrectly pronouncing it normal

#906 ·
3 clutches and All 3 with the 18k mark and now sitting at 23k. the past 2 clutches have imediatly felt shot on the way home from the dealer. The 3rd time I was charged 570$ for the service, taking my car for 5 days......

they said the car is driven to hard. Wrong. I drive way less aggressively than most in ny. They said I have significant tire wear on the front, yet on the service sheet my tire life was marked in the green for good life left....[confused]

in reverse my car makes noise like a metal can full of marbles, its just awful. And sometimes the car shifts into 3rd gear b4 I hit about 23 mph and then it barely moves....

ive tried 93 fairy dust octane which has not fixed it, k&n filter and snorkel delete did help with response but not clutch.

....what should i do. Im not paying the dealer anything when my car is still under warranty...

#907 ·
I think any performance modifications can void the warranty, which is more important than ever if you have these problems.

#910 ·
We had the clutch assy replaced last week and put several hundred miles on while visiting family over the Thanksgiving holiday. Bottom line is that it works great. The shuddering is completely gone and shifts are quick/smooth as they should be. This was the only problem we had with this car and so we're very happy now. We had taken it to to dealership for several of the sw patches but they did not work. With the replaced clutch assy it seems better than when we first bought it. My wife is happy (her car) and that's the main thing. Currently have a little over 20k miles on it.

#912 ·
Hi there, I am new to this forum, but have this same complaint. I have read a LOT about this car before purchasing it. I did not have an issue on the test drive, but once I put some mileage I noticed its "quirks" I tend to drive it like a standard with a slower start, but would love to upgrade the clutch to have faster starts without the shuddering that can occur once the clutch seems to be warmed up. Any thoughts on a quicker shifting clutch upgrade for my ford focus titanium 2012? I have only 42k miles on it and have the patch since mine was one of the unfortunate ones made before the patch and did have some roll backs and engine kills prior to the patch.

#914 ·
Hey jiggalla,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Todd, the Ford rep around these parts. When was your last visit to the dealer for this concern? Let me know; I'm going to look into next steps.

Todd

#916 ·
Thanks for letting me know, jiggalla. Please schedule an appointment at your local Ford Dealer. Once you've done so, shoot over a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership; I'm going to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager for further assistance.

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.