Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Transmission Shaking

393K views 1K replies 297 participants last post by  drag-t 
#1 ·
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.

#575 ·
I have experienced a similar issue. It usually happens when i first start the car after its been parked for a while. When i back out of a parking spot, and then try to accelerate forwards, it delays, stutters/flutters, then when i try to give it more gas, it shoots forwards. After the car is driven for 5-10 min, the issue goes away. As long as the engine hasn't been sitting for a while it doesn't do this (for example if i run to the store and an there for an hour or so, it will back up normally and accelerate fine). its after the car has been sitting for multiple hours (5+).
I have an automatic, but it has the Select Shift option. Not sure if its the combination of these options thats causing the issue, or whether its like everyone has heard (new tranmission that was pushed out the door too quickly and still has some design issues that are not yet worked out). I have also heard that the 2012 Focus is 'drive by wire'...which sounds like throttle/acceleration is controlled by electronics and the computer. Perhaps the computer is not functioning correctly or maybe a software glitch?

I owned a 2002 Focus ZTS before this, and that car did not have this issue. Probably because it was a pretty standard car, and didn't come with all the new electronics, etc. that this one does.

The funny thing is, i don't remember it doing this when i test drove the (2012 Focus) car...

#576 ·
Hi bmg9fuva,

Have you stopped by your dealership so they can take a look? Ideally, try to replicate the situation while the tech is sitting in the car with you. Additionally, I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager as well; all I need is a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Have a great day!
Crystal

#577 ·
Trans Issues...

Crystal....I know you work for Ford...you are a very nice person just doing your job.... for many weeks Ive observed you helping people out with the same DCT trans issue----same post send me your email vin etc... this to me as a Ford Focus owner like everyone else is getting old..... why doesnt Ford just come out with a blanket recall(FIX) and extend the Warranties on the DCT unconditionally for a long time! 10years 125k miles! I know you arent in any position to do this,,,, but take it to your boss and even higher... please dont have our hard earned dollars go down the tubes with issues,,, stop the pain,,,, thanks MJB[drummer]

#578 · (Edited)
Crystal....I know you work for Ford...you are a very nice person just doing your job.... for many weeks Ive observed you helping people out with the same DCT trans issue----same post send me your email vin etc... this to me as a Ford Focus owner like everyone else is getting old..... why doesnt Ford just come out with a blanket recall(FIX) and extend the Warranties on the DCT unconditionally for a long time! 10years 125k miles! I know you arent in any position to do this,,,, but take it to your boss and even higher... please dont have our hard earned dollars go down the tubes with issues,,, stop the pain,,,, thanks MJB[drummer]
That probably will happen in the dreams. Easy to hit the jackpot.
I got better, why they can't do special VERY low warranty rate for DCTs build from 2011-2013 for example. That's more realistic.
I don't know about you but I no longer like mine 12kmiles, 300 people looked at trans and open the hood. Virginity is long gone. I just stuck with it, since my dealer gives me only 13k for it if I trade it for new 13Fusion.
Can you imagine:)))? Very nice appraisal!!LOL

#579 ·
First Happy Thanksgiving to all as we have so much to be thankful for. I'll start by letting you know that I was born and raised in south Detroit. My father was a Ford worker and I grew up around cars. I spent many a night in the garage tinkering with my dads cars and learning all about them. I have owned 9 Fords in my young 33 years of age. My garage is full wall to wall with Ford racing signage. I have ALWAYS been a Ford man, convinced many others to consider Ford and more importantly to buy American before all else. I vividly remember splitting a banana with my sister for dinner in the 80's when my father was laid off for 4 years during the recession. So I always encourage anyone willing to listen to buy American and to consider Ford first. I purchased a brand new 2013 Focus on Nov 14th. I had all of the commonly reported issues and took it back to the dealer on Nov 17th. The dealer without any hesitation swapped my keys for a slightly more expensive one, which I gladly paid the $600+ difference to avoid additional headaches and stress. The second car has exactly the same grinding noises that are so loud I had two people in city traffic yesterday ask me "what was wrong with my car" or "hey is that your car making that grinding noise?". My wife refuses to ride in the car with me for fear of the transmission going out while doing 70 on the freeway. I can certainly understand some transmission hesitation due to the nature of an automatic in low gears. However, metal grinding on metal is NEVER a good thing from a mechanical engineering perspective. In my opinion the Ford Focus is not fit to drive and should be recalled immediately. A new car buying experience is supposed to be memorable. Putting down $26k on a new car only to have to put it right into the shop, take days off of work, deal with the stress and angst I now have with my wife over this purchase is NOT what I would have ever expected from Ford Motor Company. Losing market share seems to be more important to Ford than losing EXTREMELY loyal Ford customers. Don't get me wrong, the dealer has been great and Ford customer service has been great as well. However, the greatest customer service in the world won't fix this engineering problem. I want the keys to my $46k FX4 back, so I can take it elsewhere and purchase a compact car that is reliable. This is an Executive Management issue within Ford Motor Company. They released this transmission and were willing to lose customers to retain market share in the compact segment. Aside from the frustration I have over this, above all else I am DISAPPOINTED. After 30+ years of Ford loyalty and "cheerleading" I'm pretty sure that I will be parting ways. I'm going to go thru the motions and further aggravation in hopes of the Georgia lemon law to do its part. It's truly a sad situation... respectfully with a pit in my stomach -Dave

#581 ·
I totally agree with MJB457,

I had a perfect car, no issue at all, getting 39 MPG average , 40 on hwy cruising the interstate.

" MY BIGGEST MISTAKE " TAKING MY FOCUS FOR A RECALL FIX!!!!!

My Current, FORD DEALER " BILTON FORD " where I take my Focus nowadays are awesome, they are good people that care about your concerns. They treat you like people and I did not even bought my car from them. The dealer I purchased my car they are crapp. I should have learned the first time when I have purchased my 2001 Ford Expedition from them. I still drive my Expedition once in a while since it sucks up gas ,can not drive it to and from work anymore since I commute to work about 100-110 miles five days a week to work. GAS prices was just draining my pocket.
Main reason Ipurchased my 2012 FOCUS.

In defense for Ms.Crystal( FORD CUSTOMER REL.).. Come on guy's She's doing her best and trying to help us and everybody that has problems to geta fix...

Thank You Ms.Crystal for all your effort and support we all appreciate very much.

I am all in agreement and on the same boat for all the people on this forum for their recommendations and concerns. Like Y'all said FORD MANAGEMENT HASTO DO SOMETHING.

I AM TOTALLY IN AGREEMENT WITH mjb457:

FORD !!!!!WE ALL WORK HARD FOR OUR MONEY, PLEASE DO NOT HAVE OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS GO DOWN THE TUBES WITH ISSUES... STOP THE PAIN!!!!!

Check out my AVATAR. MY 2012 FORD FOCUS after my personalization !!! NOT BAD for a 59 years old man driving it!!!! LOL..LOL!!!!!

" YA ALL HAVE AN AWESOME THANKSGIVING"!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS!!!

Yappy!!!!!

#582 ·
Yappys 2012focus before and after

TAKING A BREAK ABOUT THE BAD SIDE AND PROBLEMS ON MY 2012 FOCUS, JUST WANTED TO SHARE........

05-2011 PROUD MOMENT (BEFORE )

AFTER 10 YEARS OF PENNY PINCHING ,SAVING AND DRIVING MY 2001 FORD EXPEDITION (74 K MILES NOW ) TO AND FROM WORK.

AFTER...CURRENT:11-2012

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/boxter98_99/100_1379.jpg
[IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/boxter98_99/100_1379.jpg

[thankyou][loveff][ffrocks]

#584 ·
FORD CHEATING THEM CUSTOMERS
I exposed a Commercial fraud from Ford Middle East agent, as they sold me the new Ford Focus 2012 without to notified me the comment of the new transmission technology and bad behaviour it has, I surprised high shudders, shakes in Transmission as it doesn't accelerate as it should, along with allot of vibration coming with first shift car start moving and finally roughness voice at engine with car slowdown speed.
It first time to find FORD CHEATING THEM CUSTOMERS

#585 ·
Hi all,

Hope everybody had a great T-giving.

Just want to shere my experience this morning. Left for work at 0500 this morning. It was about 30 degrees outside when I started my Focus. Leaving the driveway to the main road and off for a 50 miles trip to the city for work.
I usually take the secondary roads and then jump to the Interstate. This morning I noticed for the next seven miles including the time I jumped into the Interstate my focus was shifting smooth [woot][hihi]like before I had the recall. It was shifting smooth[woot][woot]. Drove on the insterstate for about 40 miles to my exit. By the time I took my exit there was a temperature change from 30 degrees when I started from home to 41 degrees by the time I was on my exit in the city and have driven 47 miles. On the traffic light, I proceeded to head on to work for another 4 miles or so and it started to act again [mecry] [mecry][bigcry][bigcry].

Have you guys have experienced what I experienced. Does Temperature has anything to do with it. I usually noticed that the transmission acted more worse when it is hot ( Above 65 Degrees) and I have driven for a while specially the city driving.

What do you think. Has anybody else has the same experienced as I did.

Ms. Crystal FORD REP.: Just my observation . Maybe something your FORD ENGINEERS to look at and help your FORD ENGINEERS. Just My two cents....

YAPPY [headbang]

#586 ·
...Ms. Crystal FORD REP.: Just my observation . Maybe something your FORD ENGINEERS to look at and help your FORD ENGINEERS...
Hi again, YAPPYS2012FOCUSESE,

Thanks for keeping us updated on your Focus! I added a note to your case about this; your customer service manager will be aware of it the next time you speak to each other. If you need anything else, you know how to reach me.

Thanks again,
Crystal

#587 ·
From my previous posting, I decided to see what it will do in reverse of my morning commute.
Left from work at 1515 this Afternoon and the Outside temp was 71 degrees. . It was shifting smooth since leaving work and for the next three light ( About 3 miles ) city driving. The 4th Traffic light it was back, all the symptoms, started acting again.Drove on the insterstate for about 40 miles to my exit. Another 9 miles to the home turf, By the time I got to the home turf the temperature was down to 63 Degrees. All the way home , From the 4th traffic light to the home turf the problem was there.

I usually noticed that the transmission acted more worse when it is hot ( Above 65 Degrees) and I have driven for a while specially the city driving.

Ms. Crystal FORD REP.: Just my observation . Maybe something your FORD ENGINEERS to look at and help your FORD ENGINEERS. Just My two cents....[loveff][ffrocks]

#588 ·
With the symptoms you describe I don't think it's the outside temperature causing the problem, though it could be a small contributor. As you drive the car, the clutches do heat up, partly because of friction when they are used and partly because of heat transferred from the engine. While I suppose the clutches get hotter on a 100 degree day than a 30 degree day, I think it's the driving that brings out the problem for you.

It could be that you have some oil on your clutch plates that allows the clutches to slip more than intended when you drive, heating them up. A really hot clutch will have different characteristics than a cold one and the things your car has "learned" may no longer work.

Also, the clutches can take some time to "break-in", so if your car has fewer than 1,000 miles or is driven mostly on the highway, it may need a little more time to complete this process. The DCTs do seem to generally improve with age.

Dealer service departments seem to have lots of trouble with the DCT. They aren't very good or patient when trying to diagnose intermittent or driveability issues and tend to rely on computer diagnostics for troubleshooting, which doesn't help here. There's no reason your DCT shouldn't work well; keep after the dealer until you get a resolution.

#590 ·
Same problem here.

Hello everyone,

I am having the same issue that everyone is. I have a 2012 titanium hatchback with close to 38K miles (long commutes to San Diego). Last Friday I noticed the car would shutter when I stepped on the gas from a dead stop. It was looked at today by Rancho Ford in Temecula. They tech agreed that there is a problem, so they flashed the transmission module, that didn't help. The service advisor told me that Ford's next step is to replace some actuators in the transmission, those are on order right now. They should be in next week. I'll post to let you know if this helped after they replace the actuators.

#610 ·
Update

So I just picked my car up from the dealer. They had to special order a clutch actuator. It took about a week to come in. The tech took two days to install the parts. There is still a very light shudder on take off, but not nearly as bad as before. The tech said that it was 'a normal characteristic of the car'.

While my car was in the shop I drove my 05 Tundra. I forgot how nice it is to have power when needed. Unfortunately my commute is too long for the V8 as I would love to drive that to work.

I'm selling this car as soon as I move back to San Diego. I bought this car as my commuter car. The titanium trim is nice, but with the MFT issues and the transmission problems I don't trust this car, even though its under warranty. I have had it for 14 months. Its been to the dealer 4 times now for repairs, in the 7 years I've owned my Tundra it's been back once. No more Fords for me.

Hello everyone,

I am having the same issue that everyone is. I have a 2012 titanium hatchback with close to 38K miles (long commutes to San Diego). Last Friday I noticed the car would shutter when I stepped on the gas from a dead stop. It was looked at today by Rancho Ford in Temecula. They tech agreed that there is a problem, so they flashed the transmission module, that didn't help. The service advisor told me that Ford's next step is to replace some actuators in the transmission, those are on order right now. They should be in next week. I'll post to let you know if this helped after they replace the actuators.

#592 ·
I rented a 2013 Focus for work - it only had 6 miles on it when I got it! Anyway, I've noticed some differences and I'll report back with my findings (transmission and cosmetic) later today. ^_^

#593 ·
Hello I am also experiencing the same problem with my 2012 Focus. The car has always had a slightly rough shift (makes my wife slightly nauseous). I've brought this issue up every time I have had the car in for maintenance and each time received the same reply from the service rep, "That's just the way that new trans works, you'll get use to it." I assumed they new what they were talking about an took their word. I also brought up the funky smell that was coming from the AC unit periodically. They said that was normal as well.

Over the summer I had the focus in fro the recall on the transmission programming and something else. Brought up the AC issue again and they insisted it was normal.

In October of this year I started to experience a loud grinding noise every time I turned left. Concerned I took my car back in and brought up the AC smell as an issue (again). This time around it turns out their was a service bulletin out for bad front springs and they investigated the AC unit to find that the drain plugs were never removed hence the wet dog smell I had been complaining about for several months.

After picking my car up the smell was gone and the severe grinding noise from turning was gone. However in it's place I started to experience and high pitch squeaking noise coming from the front end and a new grinding noise when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.

I took the car back in and the service tech noted that the springs weren't properly seated which caused the squeaking noise. After keeping my car for several days they diagnosed the grinding noise as (I kid you not) CD's in the glove box banging around. I argued with the manager and he said he was unable to replicate the noise but when he took out the CDs the noise was gone. Frustrated and in need of my car I accepted this and left.

After filling out the Service Experience Survey detailing my unhappiness the service manager called me back and asked me to bring in the car. I did and took him for a test drive at which point he heard the noise and insisted he could fix it (in a two weeks when the trans guy wasn't busy).

November 19th I took the car in again for the SAME problem and the service manager said he would reset the program and this should fix the rough shifting and eliminate any grinding as "the trans learns from your driving" After picking it up and immediately hearing the same grinding noise I spoke with the service manager again. He told me the noise is normal and will get better as I continue to drive.

I called and talked with him again today as the noise is getting significantly worse and he told me, "There's nothing Ford will allow us to do, your car is up to date"

I'm really concerned that this is an issue as a grinding trans usually mean an expensive fix down the road. With the car under warranty I want to have the issue corrected but so far my dealership is telling me there's nothing wrong.

I didn't have this problem until they updated the program and replaced the defective springs.

#594 ·
I'm really concerned that this is an issue as a grinding trans usually mean an expensive fix down the road. With the car under warranty I want to have the issue corrected but so far my dealership is telling me there's nothing wrong.
According to another thread the sound is most likely caused by cheap ball bearings or some such. As long as there is no abnormalities with the clutch and no oil is leaking through to the transmission, don't fret. It sucks, but we'll all just have to live with it.

#595 ·
Here's my horror story... (And soory for my english I'll do my best)
This summer I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium slightly used with about 36000Kilometers on it that's about 22000 miles..

The first couple weeks the car seems fine a bit sluggish but I already knew about this car having a new kind of automatic\standard transmission so I drive it as is and after a couple days I start getting used to it . Hot summer temperatures roll in and so it begins...The tranny seems to be getting worse especially in traffic it starts shuddering badly and being more unresponsive so I start looking for answers and I find this website.

Going threw a few threads I find that there is an update so I give the dealer a call and the technical adviser tells me to come in and that they will flash it so I leave them the car and pick it up a couple hours later ..
Great !! I'm all happy thinking that they've resolved the problems but on my way home 1st and 2nd gear starts grinding BADLY as if you were driving a standard and you shifted into the wrong gear. I give them a call, they tell me to give it about a 1000KMS as the tranny as to get used to the way you drive... ok ..

After a couple months of *waiting* for the transmission to get to know me lol I give them a call explaining how sick and tired I am of driving this car it has gotten so bad my girlfriend won't even hop in this car (true story)
I bring it back they tell me that there's oil inbetween the engine and transmission and to leave them the car for a week for them to change the clutch, seals, motor and actuators a week later they call me and I go pick up the car.

The mechanic tells me that its still shaking badly but the hotline told him to give it time.. again... and guess what? It's now worse than ever.. I asked the service manager if Ford would consider giving me what the car is worth and take it back if they can't fix the problem and he laughed

Anyways now its in for the fourth time. Sad thing is that I'm 22 and have been a Ford guy my entire life. I have a 1997 Ford Thunderbird, bought a brand new Ford Ranger last year from Ford, bought a 2008 Ford Focus also from the dealer and now this.. This one will be my last Ford EVER unless Ford does something for me very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwtyxvgedw&feature=youtu.be
(listen at 5:6 sec then 9:10 and then again at 14:15) And this was before it got REALLY BAD lol

#597 ·
#596 ·
My latest issue - there is a pretty odd rattling of the valves sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. Dealer looked at it and later the tranny guy says another Focus was in for some work and he said it also does the same thing. But I don't remember this noise happening in the last year of ownership and the new ones on the lot sure as heck don't do it.

And with all the latest updates installed I was thinking that this car seems slower than it used to be. So I try accelerating from a dead stop.. and around 11 seconds later I hit 60mph. Specs on this car say 0-60 should be just under 8 seconds. Hmmm...

#600 ·
dan50, Hi!!

Since the last reflash or since the last time I have My focus at the dealer, I must have put in close to 3-4 k miles on it. The shddering and grinding,vibration is still there. I have a 2012 Focus with 24k on it now. I never had problem when I had it and been driving and had 17k on it until I took it to get the Recall done that ford had sent.
Ms. Crystal had it already on the regional level but the funny thing is, I spoke to the regional Customer rep and he told me to bring it to the Dealer. As soon as I hang up from speking to him, I called the dealer and they told me not to bring it because they have done what they can do to my Focus. The dealer said that FORD motor has to tell them what needs to get done to my car before they will touch it. I can drop it off but it will just sit on their lot until they received an instructions from Ford on what fix they want to do to my FOCUS. I am still waiting for the phone call either from the Regional Customer service manager or from the dealer.

Go FIGURE!!!

Yappy

#601 ·
I thought I'd post my experience.

I purchased a 2012 Focus SE in May 2011. The shudder started at about 1000KM. The dealership reprogrammed the PCM module and everything appeared to be resolved. But then my car started skipping first gear. What I mean is I would accelerate from a stop, and almost immediately the car would slam itself into second gear. As you can imagine, the car seemed gutless.

A couple days later I received a notice in the mail about a recall (but it's not a recall) to reprogram the PCM module, again. So I took it back and they reprogrammed it. This time the shifting was back to normal and the car didn't feel like a truck with a motorcycle engine in it.

A couple weeks later the shudder returned, even more ugly this time. The car would basically cut out when the shudder happened. I'd be trying to make a left hand turn in traffic and all of sudden the damn car would shudder and then cut completely out for about 2 seconds before all of a sudden kicking back in and jolting forward. I took it back to the dealership and they reprogrammed the PCM.

A few weeks later, the problem came back, but this time the car doesn't cut out as long anymore. It still cuts out during the shutter, but only for a second or so. The shutter isn't as long anymore either, but it's still there and it's still affecting me when I try to pull out in traffic. There's an improvement, but not by much.

But this is where it gets really ugly. I took my car back to the dealership in September and they said they would reprogram the PCM. I even had the shop foreman come out for a drive and he witnessed the issue. I left the car with them for the day and when I picked it up the corrected action said "Road Test OK". I almost lost it on the dealership but I decided to leave peacefully and return another day. I was too heated.

I returned to the dealership a month or so later and had another guy come out for a test drive. The car almost drove perfectly for him (of course) until we got back to the dealership. He was about to accelerate up the hill and it did it! He witnessed it. Then he told me a bit of a story about how Ford is trying to charge his dealership for the transmission reprogramming because Ford says, there is no problem. So apparently the dealerships are being rejected for the warranty work around reprogramming these damn transmissions. Eventually I convinced him to reprogram it anyway.

Today I took my car back to the dealership and asked for them to reprogram it. They agreed. When I picked my car up, the corrected action was "Road Tested Ok"... I nearly lost it. But I didn't feel like getting arrested...

All I can say is don't buy a new a Focus. I've heard the 2013 model has the exact same issues from the dealership. The dealership also told me they have about 30 others who are having the exact same problem.

I regret paying $25,000 for a car that every time someone gets into it says "what's wrong with your car man?". It's the worst feeling in the world. It's also hard to defend my choice of purchase when Ford actually states that there is no problem. Now I'm worried what will happen when my warranty runs out.

Maybe I should leave the keys in it overnight hoping I'll never see it again? Yep, the shudder bugs me that much...

#602 ·
you should research the posts here where Ford had to remove the transmission and replace the seal and/or the throwout bearings as well as clutches. Alsdo see Cory here at this forum to get your case escalated.

I have read 100's of posts here and at the ford focus facebook page and I can tell you people ARE getting this fixed but you have to be pro-active and go around the dealer if you are not getting any help.

you can search this forum for the word throwout bearng and find posts.

#604 ·
3,400 miles now and no issues. One thing I have found is that when you start off in "S" and don't use the shifter button it acts like a conventional automatic. The car is a lot more zippy and shifts like a performance car. I have driven it several times in this mode and haven't noticed any detrimental effects. As soon as you touch the manual shifter button you can only manual shift until you come to a complete stop, put in drive then back to 'S'. I will provide updates as I drive in this mode more. Also several months ago before we bought our SEL my wife and I test drove a Titanium with and also had no issues with the Trans. I'm not discounting the issues that some owners have but I'd like to hear about any positive experiences any owners have had and maybe share some tips or tricks that may help those with issues pertaining to their transmissions.

#605 ·
As soon as you touch the manual shifter button you can only manual shift until you come to a complete stop, put in drive then back to 'S'.
Manual mode can be cancelled at anytime simply by selecting 'D' (you don't have to come to a stop first).

After that, you can leave it in 'D' or immediately switch back to 'S'.

#607 ·
HI , Ms. CRYSTAL, Cory and All,

After my last encounter with the dealership close to where I live andthe only thing they can do was to reflash twice and the 3rd timeI took it back I still insisted that there's a problem. The Technician rode with me for about 20minutes or so and he experienced shruddering, the slight vibration on the upshift and down shift. While all of this going on he keeps saying its normal, its normal,that's how this new transmissions are. I was getting thick-off and
and did not want to waste my gas and were not getting any where. We head back to the dealers ship. The Final solution after the test drive , The technician told the service manager ." Can not replicate and they told the regional Customer Service manager that they have done what they can.

Stick me with a fork I was done here.......

Two or three days later.. A customer Service rep. from the Ford Regional office called me at work and gave me the spill on what the dealership has told him. I told him that I was not really satisfied on the dealerships findings and there's a problem with the transmission on my 2012 Focus.

Here's the best thing that ever happen while I was speaking with the regional Customer Service Rep from FORD.. He asked me and offered me if
I would like to have and get a second opinion. He explain it more like going to a one doctor for an ailment and just to make sure you go to another doctor for a 2nd opinion on what the first doctors diagnosis. I took him up on it.

He sets up the whole thing with a Ford Dealership took the car the following day to that dealership, they test drove it, after the test drive took it at the
their working bay and twenty minutes later, The Service Writter,service manager and the Their transmissions specialist explained to me why my car was doing what it is doing. They told me I had a blown transmission seal for sure and they will know more if there's anything else when they get in to it.
I was also told that they have done quite a bit replacing those seals on focus. I am really hoping that their finding and their fix will solve the problem I have with my 2012 FORD FOCUS...

Will Find out comes Monday afternoon after work when I pick-up my FORD FOCUS..

Will let you guys know!!!

For the FORD Customer REP on this site: Ms. Crystal, Cory...

Thank You for all your Help and your assistance . I will let you guys know if my problem with my FOCUS has been resolved.

YAPPY.........

#609 ·
This post makes several awesome points that I have tried to discuss here. Ford themselves suggested you get a second opinion and from my experience, I know the second dealer is right. Ford does not want unhappy customer but communication down thru the dealer level is, as we know, not uniform. I am going to post at the ford focus facebook page and refer them to you.
Please let everyone here know how you made out. IN a perfect world the first dealer should get you all squared away but this is NOT a perfect world. Instead you must be your own advocate and be pro-active. This means if you have a stutter=hesitation bad enough your passengers ask whats wrong, you don't just go home if the dealer says its normal.
Other owners, this posters solution is THE way to go, keep pushing until they FIX your transmission.
When it runs rght, you will not find a quicker, sporty car unless you spend another $7,000+.
and the awesome mileage.

#608 ·
So now after being reflashed many times.i took the tech for the ride of his life and it shuddered like crazy.the fix you ask? New updated clutch.for mine was areal early build and he said they upgraded the part # since then....hope this fixes it.....btw the part is on a u.s. back order should be in the beginning of February

#616 ·
Yeah, see, you guys getting the "runaround" from your dealers is unsatisfactory and I understand your anger and frustration. No one should have to put up with that. Sometimes I think its Ford causing this angst, but, other dealerships (thankfully, like mine) have been amazing and very easy to deal with (touches wood, LOL), which has kept my ownership experience very pleasant overall. (Yes, I've had my clutches/seals replaced, and had the steering gear recall performed), but, in both cases, my car was only off of the road a day or two at most and they fixed it correctly the first time. Another nice bonus was, I didn't have to "fight" or "prove" my issue, I simply told them the complaint, and they researched it, found the applicable FSA/TSB and applied it to my car, each and every time. To me, that is an amazing owernship experience, I can't tell you how many times my wife and I had to "fight" for warranty work on our VW and Audi's we owned over the years (which cost MUCH more than my Focus)..... so, I will still stand by Ford (and the Focus) for now. (Hence the reason our driveway went from all foriegn cars to Ford the last two years --a good dealership is hard to find..LOL)
I have to say though, PratoN and Hotleadsingerguy, I probably would be considering "jumping ship" given your issues with the dealership's you have been involved with thus far.... it shouldn't be happening, and Ford needs to provide better communication/support to all of its dealers.

#617 ·
I have to say though, PratoN and Hotleadsingerguy, I probably would be considering "jumping ship" given your issues with the dealership's you have been involved with thus far.... it shouldn't be happening, and Ford needs to provide better communication/support to all of its dealers.
Although I shouldn't have to deal with a bad clutch and seals, the cost to replace the components myself is still less than the loss of trading it in right now. I guess I'm just going to live with it?

#619 ·
Dear Cory, dealer contacted me now and said its all normal from Fords words. And he faxed me letter which saying some noise is normal(barely noticeable). At the first he agreed with me that something wrong, cause he test drove it first. Now he trying to bounce back, by saying I have a letter from ford which states its normal operation. Letter without official letterhead or any signatures from service engineers. My gut feeling that they just don't want to do a repair. This time I will be taking legal actions, I had enought of this crap. Excuse my language, but I had with this car. So my understanding is who don't have any symptoms and car drives smooth and quete, is DRIVING BAD/With broken transmission car???!!!!! I guess lets see how they respond to that at the hearing.

#623 ·
Dear Cory, dealer contacted me now and said its all normal from Fords words...
Ysteven,

I sent you a follow-up PM; please see your inbox for the details.

...I am very gratefull to all the Ford Customer Rep that helps every one on the website. ( You guy's Rock!!!![headbang][headbang][thumb])
Thank You for all your assistance[thumb][thumb] ( MS. Crystal, Cory...) and all the regional FORD customer Service manager that made my 2012 FORD Focus whole again...[headbang][headbang][headbang]...
You got it, Yappy! [:D]

...I was dealing with Cory. Has he been replaced? Thanks!
Looks to me like Cory was just replying to a user here named devvy and it was taken out of context...
wkumtrider,

Nope, I’m still here! vacman hit it on the nose (thanks for helping to clarify, vacman!). [:)]

Cory

#620 ·
Wow! Wow! What a difference

[thumb][thumb]Yappy here and Happy Holidays...

Ysteven, I sorry to hear about what your dealer is up to. Maybe you can ask the Ford Rep here on the board for their assistance. I started with Ms. Crystal, then now its Cory,now its Devvy??. They really can help and do wonders. Ms. Crystal forward my problems to the Regional Customer Service Manager for my region and Cory continue to follow up on my case. I went thru three Customer Managers for my region. The first two FORD Customer Manager listen to my concern but to me they did not hear me. They were there to earn their paycheck[mecry] ( Sorry I have to say it ), but the third Ford Customer Service manager was totally different. I have been in Logistics and Customer service for over 45 years ( 23yrs in the NAVY-retired) and still currently working on the same field working for the government. You can tell
he is willing to help, understand your concern and will do all he can to satify the customer. I know he is also there for a pay check but not only that..You can tell from speaking to him That he's there to provide customer service to FORD owners. ( [thumb][thumb]Thank You so much " DENNIS " for all your help, You have provided me with an outstanding " EPITOME of Excellence " In customer service[headbang][headbang][headbang] ). There should be more of him, Ford should make him as a team leader. .

I apologized if I just now logged in to this site and give you guys an update about my Concerns on my 2012 Ford Focus.

WOW![:0]WOW![:0]WOW![:0]..I can not believe it..DAY and night difference.
I was having fun again driving my Focus since the fix[woot][woot]. DRIVING TO AND FROM WORK 110 MILES A DAY 5 DAYS A WEEK. I can not believe it.
No more rattling, vibration, smooth shifting, no more BRRRR!! between up shift and down shift... The second FORD dealer fixed my car. Today is the third day and so far so good no problem at all.

The first dealer that I took my car is like the only dealership in that small town.
The second dealer where I had a second opinion is more like in a big city and they do volume sales and rank number -1 with the word of mouth and they know what they are doing and has more than one mechanic..HA! HA! LOL!!!

They end up replacing my oil seal,clutch assembly,retainer bearing,bearing.

So far so good. Like Mr. Cassandra said. You also have to be pro-active..

I am so glad that I took "Dennis" offer for a second opinion.

I am very gratefull to all the Ford Customer Rep that helps every one on the website. ( You guy's Rock!!!![headbang][headbang][thumb])
Thank You for all your assistance[thumb][thumb] ( MS. Crystal, Cory, Devvy) and all the regional FORD customer Service manager that made my 2012 FORD Focus whole again...[headbang][headbang][headbang]

Thank You . HAPPY Holidays to all.

Yappy.

#625 ·
[thumb][thumb]Yappy here and Happy Holidays...

Ysteven, I sorry to hear about what your dealer is up to. Maybe you can ask the Ford Rep here on the board for their assistance. I started with Ms. Crystal, then now its Cory,now its Devvy??. They really can help and do wonders. Ms. Crystal forward my problems to the Regional Customer Service Manager for my region and Cory continue to follow up on my case. I went thru three Customer Managers for my region. The first two FORD Customer Manager listen to my concern but to me they did not hear me. They were there to earn their paycheck[mecry] ( Sorry I have to say it ), but the third Ford Customer Service manager was totally different. I have been in Logistics and Customer service for over 45 years ( 23yrs in the NAVY-retired) and still currently working on the same field working for the government. You can tell
he is willing to help, understand your concern and will do all he can to satify the customer. I know he is also there for a pay check but not only that..You can tell from speaking to him That he's there to provide customer service to FORD owners. ( [thumb][thumb]Thank You so much " DENNIS " for all your help, You have provided me with an outstanding " EPITOME of Excellence " In customer service[headbang][headbang][headbang] ). There should be more of him, Ford should make him as a team leader. .

I apologized if I just now logged in to this site and give you guys an update about my Concerns on my 2012 Ford Focus.

WOW![:0]WOW![:0]WOW![:0]..I can not believe it..DAY and night difference.
I was having fun again driving my Focus since the fix[woot][woot]. DRIVING TO AND FROM WORK 110 MILES A DAY 5 DAYS A WEEK. I can not believe it.
No more rattling, vibration, smooth shifting, no more BRRRR!! between up shift and down shift... The second FORD dealer fixed my car. Today is the third day and so far so good no problem at all.

The first dealer that I took my car is like the only dealership in that small town.
The second dealer where I had a second opinion is more like in a big city and they do volume sales and rank number -1 with the word of mouth and they know what they are doing and has more than one mechanic..HA! HA! LOL!!!

They end up replacing my oil seal,clutch assembly,retainer bearing,bearing.

So far so good. Like Mr. Cassandra said. You also have to be pro-active..

I am so glad that I took "Dennis" offer for a second opinion.

I am very gratefull to all the Ford Customer Rep that helps every one on the website. ( You guy's Rock!!!![headbang][headbang][thumb])
Thank You for all your assistance[thumb][thumb] ( MS. Crystal, Cory, Devvy) and all the regional FORD customer Service manager that made my 2012 FORD Focus whole again...[headbang][headbang][headbang]

Thank You . HAPPY Holidays to all.

Yappy.
Thank you for your sympathy. I don't want rain on anybody's parade during this holidays. Just don't understand why I should be mad at them when we all should be happy during this holidays.
I guess when Dealer don't want to repair it for Second time they will say you IT'S NORMAL, I have same thing like first time, why it wasn't Normal then???:))
Not like other strugglers on this forum I am even willing to split the cost for repairs. Cause Ford uses private contractors as trans guys. Maybe it was just my case.
Anyway YOUR Car IS NOT NORMAL, since you don't have rattling and shudder.:)) From my dealers words.
My is shudders, grinds, rattling sound, wrong shift schedule IS NoRMAL.

Customer service did contact me, but seems we can't all agree to repair NEW NORMAL. I appreciate they putting effort to help me, but maybe they also have to help dealership too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.