Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The ultimate upgrade?

9K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  PandT 
#1 ·
I've learned there are a number of things built into our cars (e.g., DRL's) that are something that the dealer can just "turn on" using their magic computer.

I think the ultimate upgrade would be to get one of those magic computers, or even better, software and a cable to use your own computer to do what you want to your car!

How difficult would it be? Could someone perhaps "clone" this and get away with it? I have to wonder... [wrenchin]

#7 ·
Again by all accounts "I haven't seen it with my own eyes" you can bypass this by not inputting the VIN.

There is a guy on this forum that didn't have Cruise Control fitted as standard on his car but he got a Steering Wheel fitted with the Controls on it and then got the dealer "again some dealers said it couldn't be done" to activate it and it works perfectly.

e.g

- Connect with VCM-IDS
- They should "not" enter your cars VIN code.
- Select "module programming"
- Select > Chasis > GEM
- There is a option selection screen. It looks a bit like an excel sheet.
There is check boxes. Tick the check box for Cruise Control, save and exit.

Working Cruise Control [:)]

#3 ·
I get that. I'm talking get the machine somehow, or clone its functions with a laptop and cable.... It's all software, anything is possible.

#12 ·
400 bucks might be worth it, especially if you learned to help others with it!

#13 ·
Yea, the problem is you would be using demo software or cracked software and a cheap Chinese VCM, which can lead to a lot of headaches getting it to work, especially with newer cars.

I have no experience with it, only a little research and seeing what's on ebay and other sites.

Once you had the setup you would be golden and could do BCM's to enable all the options and could do others as well.

#14 ·
I'm wondering if you could get a genuine VCM on the "grey" market.

#15 ·
Used ones go for around a grand from what I have seen, but it's the software that is the issue because it requires a subscription.

The easiest thing would be to find a service shop that would do it for you.

As far as the BCM, it should be possible to hack it directly, or even manufacture a piggyback unit to add functionality without reprogramming, but that would require a BCM to play with, some switches, a decent bench and bit of work.

#16 ·
How do you have a focsu without cruise control.

and what is Defaltion detection system?

Meanwhile if you are wanting to reprogram the whole computer - yes it would take quite a bit of work and god help you if you're in an accident and your airbag module failed.

#17 ·
There are S and SE models without Cruise Control or fog lights. I had an SE with no fogs, put on all the factory harness and lights, and they didn't work because of programming. Rather than do this simple reprogram with the VCM (bypassing the step inputting the VIN) and adding fogs, they refunded my money on the SE and sold me a Titanium instead, losing most if not all of their profits on those cars. It's just insanity that they won't just program these "add ons" for people who want them. I think the ultimate accessory is the ability to add OEM equipment to a base model car at one's own pace (as money comes available, for example) and there is probably a way to make it happen. It's called Capitalism. Find a market and fulfill the need and reap the rewards.

#30 ·
Oh, me like this idea...

Maybe Sonics buddy will come through but if it were easy the tuners would have done it by now. On a side note, it may be the Chinese and the Russians who get the press on hacking but don't forget those Iranian enrichment plants that WE did. We also have some smart programmers and I am wondering why this has never been done, to my knowledge at least.

There are some deleted 'features' in the 2013 models that I would like to play with as long as a revert to 'as supplied' option was there for when I lose 2nd gear or the alarm goes off when I hit Start.

#18 ·
All SE's should have cruise, that's why I have an SE instead of an S.

It makes no sense to pay a premium price for some option packages when you can add the options you want at a fraction of the price. Unfortunately the BCM prevents some options from being added with the factory set-up.

That is why we need a way to hack the BCM. If I put fog lights in and want to run them from a factory fog light switch, I need the BCM to do it.

#19 ·
Not all SEs do have cruise, for some reason, though. I met a lady in Service (waiting room with me) who had exactly that. She was not happy, either... and it was an SE sedan, WITH FOG LIGHTS, yet no cruise. I had cruise and no fogs. Go figure.

#21 ·
Rapid Spec 201A (RS201A) was the convienence package with cruise and the perimiter alarm. It was eventually made standard on late Job 2 2012 models, but until then it was a several hundred dollar option package.

#24 ·
It's a $5000 system you have to purchase to make it all work... Albarry has a buddy with the system and they've played around a bit on his car.

#26 ·
Someone posted up a thread in the last day or two about something along these lines for MFT. It's a start... but now I can't find the thread again. Searching is frustrating sometimes. Anyway, the MFT thing doesn't do much, not worth the money, IMHO, but, it DOES give you the idea that these real-time computers can be hacked with the right tools.

#27 ·
This is all fine for discussion, but you do realize dealerships won't do this because you didn't pay for those options. I don't mean to be a Buzz Killington, but hacking is illegal and the number one security threat to this Country, so I hope you feel OK jumping on that wagon. There's a reason hacking programs come from Russia and China.

#29 ·
I didn't lease the car. I bought it. I pay for parts (like, say, fog lights) and want them to work, I should be able to do it.

I'm not hacking the department of defense here. I am trying to make my own car work the way I want it to work. I'm not taking off safety equipment required by law. It's just customizing. It's as American as Chevy, Apple Pie, and yes, even Ford. I am proud to jump on that wagon. I'll shout it from the rooftops.

Later, Buzz, I think that's EXACTLY what you meant to be.

#28 ·
I wouldn't call this hacking in any way. It's upgrading. It's stupid that Ford would disable, or make it confusing, to add features after the fact.

I purchased the car, and feel like adding something. Why can't I? I did not have the time to wait for a car to be build, especially when there was one on the lot with all but one feature.

I see no reason why they won't let me pay almost 4 times the cost of a aftermarket fog Light setup, to have the factory setup added... I can swap motors, stereos, and all these other things, but simple stuff like this I can't PAY to get done. Stupid.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.