Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Dead Pedal

23K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  CunFFS13 
#1 ·
How stupid was it for Mother Ford to not have something better for the dead pedal area on the new Focus!?! I could just see this carpeted area getting pretty used-up over the course of a couple of years, so I fabbed-up a carpeted "cover" for mine yesterday.

It's simply a piece of fairly heavy gauge aluminum, some black speaker box carpet, spray adhesive, and industrial-grade Velcro.
First, I made a cardboard template, trimmed until it fit really nice, then transferred the shape to the aluminum. Trimmed the aluminum to size, deburred the edges, and test-fit in the car. Once i was happy with the fit, I sprayed the top surface and the back of the carpet with 3M "77" spray adhesive. Once tacky, I stuck the carpet to the aluminum; I also wrapped the carpet around the bacl of the plate on the lower edge, just to protect the OE carpet a little better. Sprayed the backside with some more "77", let it tack, then I stuck several strips of Velcro to the back.
I let everything dry overnight, mostly so the car wouldn't smell like adhesive, and slapped it in place. Fits nice, color matches pretty well. Nice thing is, when the carpet on it starts to wear, I can peel it off and stick another piece on and it will be good as new, and no damage to the factory carpet.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks--it's working out really well.

#5 ·
Velcro just stick the the factory carpet

#7 ·
I would say that the Velcro would do way less damage than grinding dirt into the factory carpet, along with the day-to-day wear caused by my left foot rubbing on it. I'll take that trade-off.

#8 ·
I was amazed when I discovered that my 2012 Ti had a crappy dead pedal shelf with poorly fit carpet especially when my 2001 ZX-3 had a solid platform. Even my wife's 2010 Hyundai Tucson has a solid hard rubber dead pedal. To me, the dead pedal is one of my most important feedback connections with the suspension. I made a very similar dead pedal with 1/8 aluminum (cost me $10). I used 2 big strips of 2 inch wide industrial Velcro glued to the back to anchor it to the carpet. But I painted the top surface with black pickup bed liner spray because I like a solid feel.

#10 ·
Considering making up a few of these if anyone is interested. Post-up or PM if you want me to pursue further.

#11 ·
if you really want an oem ford (new) part... try this # from a 13 explorer. Its kinda big and you will have to use velcro to attach it

BB5Z-7412020-AA about $34 list

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I'm thinking c-clamp to hold the new cover on the brake pedal while drilling, should be easy enough.

#16 ·
Dont drill, they end up looking like crap in the end IMO

These are FORD pedal covers, I have a set they are a PERFECT fit, have the Ford oval right on them. Took all of 5 min to install.

Manual
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Pedal-P...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1af1e5af&vxp=mtr

Auto
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Pedal-P...:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item1c208bf963&vxp=mtr

Dead Pedal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-12-FORD-...:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item35bdad1546&vxp=mtr

And before anyone asks about the Gas Pedal, I have had zero problems with slippage with wet or snow covered shoes.

#20 ·
Nothing, like i said before, it is a FORD part, perfect fit. If anything they are more secure than the stock covers, as the stockers slide off quite easy, these stretch over and the cover "clamps" on. If you decided to buy them (and you should) it has the ford log stamped on the back of every rubber backer.

#24 ·
Just 2 sided tape, and to be honest the dead pedal leaves a little to be desired. But it matches, and it works for now.

Also FYI I didn't did that hard on eBay for the links I posted, but in the past there were sets of pedals AND the dead pedal together, so if anyone wants both look around a little.

Also sorry VHS for hijacking your thread.

#32 ·
I have this set as well with the dead pedal you really cant beat them for the price.

They offer excellent grip for the winter as well

#39 ·
Please explain what you have going on. You've obviously figured out something way better than velcro or double sided tape.

#40 ·
Redline tuning.com click ford focus products and it'll pop up. Don't know if it'll work for mk3's but it might. I also flipped he dead pedal around so there are two rubber pieces at the bottom to better match the other pedals. This pic is old.

#42 ·
So I finally got my dead pedal (actually, all my pedals!) installed. I decided to go a slightly different route than some, and bought some velcro to replace the tape on the dead pedal. It's industrial strength Velcro brand velcro and does the trick. One 2x4" piece cut up covered the whole outer edge of the dead pedal.

Here are the pedals installed.

I almost left the white protective plastic on the dead pedal because of this:

Yes, that says Mondeo with an Ecoboost logo underneath it (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics). Not a very big fan of that. I'm going to have to find some way to cover that up or something...

Haven't taken the car for a drive yet with the new pedals, but sitting in my garage and playing with them they feel very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.