Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus SE Hatchback Sport - Changing stock speakers

173K views 190 replies 63 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
Hi, Forum

This is my first post and I wanted to say that I successfully changed one of the stock speaker for a new set of 6.5 inch Kenwood KFC-1693PS which cost about 35 dlls, very great value for the price.

I removed the door panel using another tutorial I found in the forum and worked great, the only problem I had was with the custom base the stock speakers use. I had to completely destroy the stock speakers since they were part of the base which had the connector.

Tomorrow I will be posting some pictures when I replace the other one and will also post a tutorial on how to use the stock base for the speakers.

Cheers

#40 ·
If your mp3s sound bad, just switch over and listen to SIRIUS for a while. When you switch back to your mp3s, you won't believe your ears.

I lol'd on that one ! That's the truth for sure. I have people that think I'm nuts because I won't subscribe to Sirius. It sounds so awful :(

I'm pretty happy with my car stereo now tho and actually surprised the Memphis Power Refs sound as good as they do. The gain on the little Alpine amp isn't even turned up but to 1/3 due to some alternator whine that has to be tracked down. I'm not all that worried about it since it sounds so much bette than before.

#43 ·
Upgrading only the front door speakers to Infinity 6502ix made a huge improvement to my 6-speaker system. The stock woofers in the front doors (not dual-cone in the 6-speaker system) are of poor quality--small magnets, paper cones and plastic basket. Leave the stock a-pillar tweeters connected. They blend well with the upgrades and improve imaging, especially when a passenger is onboard.

Those Infinities have solid, clean bass and the clarity of the mid to upper frequencies is much improved over stock.

#47 ·
Yes, it probably would. That's not a bad idea, IMO, if you're not concerned about rear-seat sound quality. If I were to upgrade the rears, I think I'd just put the same coaxials in the rear.

#60 ·
I wouldn't pay up for MFT no matter how much better it sounds. The MyFord Sync 6-speaker does everything I want it to do, and it works. It sounds pretty good with some inexpensive upgrades too.

#62 ·
When removing the round plug (behind the the door release handle) was anyone able to accomplish this withoug leave marks or gouges? I played with it a little last night investigating for when my speakers arrive but it looks like its pretty tight and can't be removed without damage???? Anyone??? Ordered Infinity Reference 6032cf from Amazon for $48.

#66 ·
Did you buy speaker adapters, or use the factory speaker frames for adapters?

#70 ·
stupid question to ask but can anyone tell me how to install new tweeter I have a pair of Rockford fostgate prime 1inch tweeters I want to swap out them out with the factory ones I am a little intimidated by how to connection is on the stock speaker versus

#71 ·
Quick question, I found a place that has the Reference 6502ix on sale for $60 per pair. Should I spend the money to get two pairs and replace both front and rear, or will replacing just the front make almost / just as much of an improvement?

#76 ·
So there are a few of you who said that you have changed all four speakers. I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the door panels off of the back doors. I will be installing all new Infinity 6502ix's and want to avoid any unexpected pains.

#79 ·
Ya the rears are easy for any se and up but for the s model with the... crank windows in the back... it was very tricky. Word of advice, search the towel trick on YouTube to get the clip off of the window crank. And don't mess up like me and assume that the clip is on the inner part touching the panel, it's in between the handle and the plastic ring. Good luck and happy modding.

PS. I went with JL audio CD components in the front, cheap Alpine type E fillers for the back and amplified them with a JL 360/4 and it sounds beautiful. Very glad I got to spend my extra $1000 on something other than Sony.

#81 ·
There isn't going to be a ground on a speaker wire harness.

It is AC voltage and the terminals are + and - AC.

I don't know which is which, though, but as long as you connect the little tab on the new speakers to the same side of the connector at all four locations, you should be fine.

#82 ·
+1 on this. When I replaced mine, I cut the old cones out and used the stock rings of the speakers to mount them. Soldered the new speakers to the stock plugs and re-used the stock wiring. I think this is the best way to do it and avoid hassle.[woot]

#83 ·
hi guys.... sorry for my bad english... I'm italian and I have a ford focus 2012

I modified my sound system... I added 2 tweeters rear connected by xover and original cables....

I want to connect the cables from the amplifier to front speakers ... I have more difficult to connect the cables in the front door to separate the tweeter from the woofer...

I look forward to your response

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.