Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Weathertech vs OEM vs other floor mats

35K views 74 replies 49 participants last post by  Just Tom 
#1 ·
Does anyone have some all weather floor mats that they really like? I need to get some before the winter hits, but am not sure which route to take. I'd like something that's made for the focus but it starts to get a little expensive. Weathertech's cover up the entire floor (which I kind of like) but they are crazy expensive for floor mats and do they look ok? The OEM's look nice, but do they do a good enough job of keeping the snow/salt/mud off the carpets? Or if you have any other suggestions for floor mats I am definitely open to it.

#2 ·
I have the OEM winter floor mats...don't waste your money...they don't cover up much in the front...especially on the drivers side. I was expecting something closer to the weahtertechs when I ordered them, so I am a little disappointed. How much do weathertechs cost for the 2012 Focus?

#16 ·
Thanks for your post. I would have ordered them and I'm sure I would have been disappointed. The prices on Weathertechs was up there, in the $160 range. I bought the Husky Weather Beater floor mats and trunk mat from a dealer on eBay for a total of $172.98, delivered. http://www.got-chrome.com/ [giddy]

We need them up here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, a mile of dirt road, gravel driveways, and occasional hauling of animal feed - not to mention the chicken s**t on my boots. [cool]

#10 ·
That's the route I went also. Got the Husky's because I really liked the coverage. $104 free shipping. Supposed to be here tomorrow. I also got the OEM cargo mat as well because of the fit (I have the sub). That one is supposed to arrive Monday (about $76 but no free shipping so about $92 all in). People on other threads that got the Huskys seem satisfied with them so that is why I went with them.

#11 ·
I had a pair of Weather Techs (fronts). Used 'em in my '98 Z28, and '03 WRX. Fit both of 'em OK. Since then; I've used "whatever" brand deep dish mats from the local car parts store. Reasonably priced, held the dirt, muck, and water as well as the WTs. The WTs were probably a better grade of rubber (more flexible, especially over time). However, when I started working overseas; a relative of mine who helped pack up all my stuff hung my WTs over a 1 x 4 board [dunno] in the storage shed. One winter of that sharp bend, along with the freezing and thawing cycles.........and they were all cracked and split to [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* and back along the bend! [mad] Hence, the string of "whatever" brand mats since then!

#13 ·
I bought the OEM all-weather mats and "they're okay" but I'm annoyed by the lack of dead-pedal coverage. Wish I had checked out the Huskys before I pulled the trigger! Unfortunately the Husky Liners don't seem to be available a la carte; you have to buy the whole set. I would love to get just the driver's side front somehow...

#21 ·
yeah i wish the dead pedal was covered...my wifes heels will tear a nice big whole in the carpet soon if she doesnt remember to keep her heels in the OEM all weathers that came with the winter pkg...

I would think that the wal mart type trimmable mats mights be a little awkward?? Seems like some folks here are having success with em, but in my experience they move around alot...i like the snap fit of the OEMs...

#14 ·
I've got the Weathertechs for the front and couldn't be happier. The fit is amazing! I want to keep the car for 4 years so for me, it was a worthwhile expense. I'm using my Ford Escape all weathers for the back - not a perfect fit but I don't often have rear seat passengers so they'll do.

#15 ·
I put my Huskys in this past weekend. Went with them because of the dead pedal coverage. Good fit, good hold. Slush/snow/water is going to get anywhere it wants to if it wants to but these should help tremendously. Really happy with them.

#18 · (Edited)
Weathertech and Husky comparison pictures

Looking through the gallery and noticed these pictures. Thought I'd post so others could see the difference. Looks like Husky covers more on the left and Weathertech more on the right.

Husky

Weathertech

#19 ·
Looking through the gallery and noticed these pictures. Thought I'd post so others could see the difference. Looks like Husky covers more on the left and Weathertech more on the right.

Got my Husky's just before an 800 mile trip - floor mats and trunk mat - They are great. The look like they might be slippery but the rubber grips great and yet they are super easy to clean. I know I'm going to love them more as the rainy season sets in here in the CA mountains. [thumb]

#20 ·
Love the Husky liner dead pedal area coverage

I recommend the Husky liner because of the dead pedal area coverage.

Since getting my Husky liners last week I'm enjoying the comfort benefits of resting my left foot in the dead pedal area. Before, I was subconsciously not putting my foot up there because I didn't want to get the carpet dirty. For me, it's a more relaxed and more stable place to rest my left foot.

#22 ·
I went with the Husky Liners, just picked them up a couple of days ago. Definitely worth the money.

#23 ·
Agreed! I've had mine now almost a month - they are holding up well and are a breeze to clean. Nice product, well worth the few bucks they cost.

#24 ·
Quote; Tehmark: I have the winter package OEM ones and they are pretty skimpy for the driver (rest are fine). I was impressed by the husky mats but honestly I won't buy them to replace basically the 1 lacking mat in my car.

Since my first post; I've been home and driven my car (with OEM winter mats). Man, you weren't kidding about the drivers mat being skimpy! Think I'm gonna replace the fronts with another pair of whatever brand deep dishes!

#25 ·
So which looks better guys? I've absolutely no idea how the husky's look, does it look like shiny rubber/plastic? Or does it have the same texture as the weathertech's? Sorry, I've been trying to decide for the past few days and I haven't gotten anywhere. [dunno]

#28 ·
I bought the Husky's and was surprised at how thin they are. Time will tell if they are long lasting or not .. I'm hopeful
The Huskys are shiny and when I took them out of the box I was really worried that they were going to be slick and my shoes would be slipping everywhere. Fortunately, the grip is great. Wet or dry, my shoes stay in place so the appearance is misleading. Also, that smooth shiny non-textured surface is really, really easy to clean. Just wipe it down with a wet cloth, no texture means there is nothing for crap to get trapped in.

Totally agree with nocleader that they do appear thin but if you flex them around a bit, flex some of the edges, etc. it does appear to be a quite strong material. In contrast, I have the OEM cargo liner and while it is thicker, it does feel as if it would be a lot easier to tear. I've had my Huskys in for about three months now and really like them.

#30 · (Edited)
I bought the Husky liners and would buy them again.

Edit: Sorry for the short comment above, I was using my phone before.
I didn't have the opportunity to see weathertech or husky liners first hand. I purchased my Husky Liners on other forum user's positive comments, the fact that they cover the "dead pedal" area more and they are MUCH cheaper. I am happy with them and it makes sense in hindsight that a slick surface should be easier to clean. Weathertechs look like they have more of a texture to them. I'm slightly curious now if they would be as easy to clean as Husky Liners.

There are two Husky Liner colors to choose from. Grey and Black. The black is really a very very dark grey. My SEL has very dark grey carpet and so I went with the black Husky Liners. I doubt I would like the grey as much because I don't want the mats to stand out unnecessarily. But, they do look very nice and fit great.

#35 ·
Just ordered weathertech fronts on ebay. Came to $99.95. For the same price you can get a full set of huskies, but I don't like the look of them as much so I splurged. I really can't figure out why the stock ford winter mats are so dinky on the driver's side. It's ridiculous.

#36 · (Edited)
My new Titanium Hatch came w the OEM winter mats and they are really are too small (especially the driver's side with no dead pedal cover). I went with the WeatherTech -- I've owned both WT and Husky liners in other cars and IMO I think the WT liners "look" nicer. Anyway, they are great in this car, and I like how they actually snapped in to the driver's side floor clips like the OEM ones did...

Driver's side

Passenger side

Rear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.