Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installed Homelink visor in our SE 4 door

42K views 73 replies 37 participants last post by  IrishBrewer 
#1 ·
Ordered from Tousley last week and came in Monday. Installed it Wednesday night. As no surprise, there is no wiring for it so I tied into the roof console for power. Wife likes having to have the homelink like in our truck for the garage doors and having a larger and lighted mirror is an added bonus. We're not worried about the passenger side having a non-lighted and smaller mirror so no changes to that one.

ParT number is CM5Z 5804105 FA and Tousley sells it for $74.62.

See less See more
#46 ·
My advice is, if you have a build 2 2013, don't do this mod, unless you *absolutely* have to have a built in garage door opener.

It doesn't look right and worst of all, it is to small for the visor clip.

I have reverted back to the OEM lighted visor.

Just my $0.02

#58 ·
Great detail on the visor question. Thanks everybody for the pictures.

The modification is really simple to do. If you have a new version of the visor - it will have a full cover over the mounting screws (the early version has two caps over the screws). That cover pops off easily at the split. If you try to put in the Homelink visor from the 2012 - you will need two more parts - the two little plastic caps for the mounting screws; and the 2012 visor clip. As I Bleed Blue said, Tousley Ford DOES have both of those parts. The little caps are about $6 and the clip is about $10. If you are really particular about the look, then you'll want those caps.

At Tousley to find those two parts, start with a 2012 Ford Focus, any trim level. You'll get to the parts, they are universal for all versions.

Sorry, I'm not understanding why anybody would pull the headliner apart if they have a lighted visor. When you remove the oroginal visor, the wire is lightly glued to the headliner. You can get your fingers up in there and pull it loose.

I didn't realize that Ford dropped the Homelink headliner from all 2013 Focus. I ran into this mod through the Ford Focus Electric forum. I now own both a 2012 Titanium and a 2013 Electric. The Electric now has the Homelink visor in it.

#59 ·
I too picked up a 2012 Visor for my 2014 Ford Focus. However, now having looked at the Visors in the 2014 Ford Escape (Titanium package includes the Homelink) it looks like the exact same visor style is in the Escape. If this is true, you wouldn't have to change the clip and you would also retain the slide out extension ability of the newer visors. So now the only possibly thing that may be different is the connector. But I am thinking the odds are they are the same, but even if not, it would be simple enough to cut off and solder on the connector that came out on the 2014 Focus visor.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#61 ·
I don't believe so, I think all 2014 models use the "marble" color headliner and visors.

I did find one other thing, I am able to release the pins in the connector just in case the Escape uses a different connector I am thinking I can slide them out of the existing connector from the Focus and into the connector on the Escape visor. But this is only if the connectors are different, not sure about this yet.

#70 ·
I just did this mod on my daughter's 2012 SE Hatchback. I found a homelink visor with the lighted vanity mirror on eBay from a wrecked vehicle with similar specs and it was the correct color - paid $36 shipped.

Unfortunately, the install was not plug and play like it has been for some. I did not have the connector glued to my headliner so had to find a place to tap into power. My first attempt was to go to the nearby front dome light. It came off easily enough and I found battery voltage coming off a couple of pins of the ribbon cable that plugs into the light. I soldered a pigtail to it and ran a wire over to the visor. However, there was some interaction between the visor drawing power and the dome light operation because when the vanity mirror was opened, the voltage would drop and the light was very dim such that it was barely visible even in the dark. Also, there was not sufficient power to operate the homelink control.

So, I got an add-a-fuse tap to run a circuit from the rear fusebox in the luggage area. I ran a single wire from that box that was tucked under the interior side cover, under the door seals and up the A-pillar to under the headliner. You need about 16 feet of wire to go this route. For the ground wire, I just ran a short wire with a ring terminal to a convenient area where I could use a self tapping screw on the pillar. I plugged in the fuse and everything worked perfectly. One could do something similar going from the under glovebox fuse panel but that thing is really tucked up in there so I opted for the rear panel that had plenty of unused slots to add a circuit.

So, a bit more effort than the simple plug-and-play install but in the end, everything came out great.

#72 ·
As long as the visor is the same size, it should work. The homelink buttons are not tied into the car's computer or anything. It's basically a standalone remote that just needs a 12V power supply and the same power feed supplies the lighted mirror in the visor.

Some were lucky in that the wiring is right there ready to be plugged in under the headliner but mine was not so I had to run my own supply wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.