Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pedal covers

26K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  MaxMax66 
#1 ·
I had some old aluminum pedal covers hanging around in my parts bin for around 5 years that were meant for an older Audi A4. Given that basic rubber pedals that were on the Focus, I decided to try them out on it.

Well, they didn't fit exactly, the clutch and brake pedal bases are too short, but I managed to drill some other holes and get them on there. The clutch and gas pedals are plastic so they were easy to drill through. The brake pedal however is metal and required a lot more thought. In the end I used double sided tape and rigged a bracket to the backside for the brake.

They look decent from a far, but up close you can tell of my amateur hackery. They are more grippy than the stock rubber braces though, which makes for a nicer feel on your foot.

See less See more
#7 ·
I agree - I actually use a small mat meant for keeping shoes in your closet or foyer to keep the dead pedal area clean. It cost around $5 at Walmart, the colour matches the carpet so it's barely noticeable and it has a rubber backing so it doesn't move around. I put it under the Ford floor mat and it extends far enough into the foot well that it protects pretty much the entire area not covered by the Ford mat.

#5 ·
I like having the gas pedal even with the clutch. On my prior car i made a rubber bit with a 'glove' (actuall from a glove) taht just was over the pedal. So it added about an inch in height to the gas pedal.
Loved it for the 12 years I used it.
I will do the same for my Focus. Otherwise the stock pedals are good enough for me. The foot rest on the Focus is a ways over off to the left.

#6 ·
I had a set of Sparco Grip (similar to yours) that I had on my Protege5. Set up was perfect for heel-toe: brake and gas were just the right distance apart and when the brake pedal was pressed, it was at the same height as the gas. Can't wait to add pedals to my Focus after seeing your pics.

#12 ·
I'm not sure when the last time this product page was updated, but Autovation is where I got the pedals for my Lancer when I bought it. It says "all" model Foci, but I always like to hear what others think...

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/fordfocus.html

FWIW the ones I had on my Lancer were awesome and stayed in great shape, even after 6 Buffalo winters.

Thoughts?

#13 ·
Autovation couldn't confirm if the pedals would fit the '12 so I'm going to make a template for them. They might fit, but they need the template first, then if they won't fit, they'll make a new style.

#15 ·
I submitted the 5 speed pedal templates I made to Autovation yesterday. Anthony said he'd draw up a design this week. I'm not sure how that translates to production, but sounds good anyways that they are on it.

I think they might want an automatic template. Probably just for the brake pedal / cover. If anyone is interested email Anthony at Autovation ( ah@autovation.net )with information detailed like they want it here: http://www.autovation.net/new/pedal_template.htm

#16 ·
Just something I ran into at the parts counter last week....found that the Fiesta has some quite nice Ford accesory pedal pads (around $100, #8A6Z-2454-A) that could be trimmed/modified/cut/glued to the Focus pedals. I opted not to do it, just due to the fact i wasnt up for doing all that to a new car. But I am sure there may be some industrial types that could make this work. Why Ford would make some this nice for the Fiesta and not Focus is irratating though. Hope the ST will bring some options in near future.

#47 ·
Why Ford would make some this nice for the Fiesta and not Focus is irratating though. Hope the ST will bring some options in near future.
No kidding! What gives? Ford offers options like this for all their models, even their trucks, except the Focus. The first thing I missed in my new 2012 Focus Titanium is a solid feeling dead pedal. My 2001 ZX-3 had an OK dead pedal. At least it had one. I thought there wasn't one at all in my 2012 Ti until I realized there was badly fit carpet under my left foot where there is a quasi-dead pedal shelf. To me a good solid dead pedal is one of my most important points of connection with suspension especially with 18" high performance tires and sports suspension. I made a dead pedal out of 1/8 alumimum sprayed painted with black truck liner and stuck to the carpet with Velcro. It has a good feel and blends well with the carpet. Best of all it, costs less than $15 to make. If anyone is interested I will post the template with photos and instructions.

#19 ·
I just ordered the first set of 2012 5-speed pedals from AutoVation that they have ready to machine from the templates I sent in.

I ordered the matte aluminum w/ rubber inserts style.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how they fit when they come in.

#31 ·
http://www.autovationparts.com/store/fordfocus.html

all the way at the bottom, the prices would be the same but you could specify the 2012 focus cuts. I got a discount for making the templates for them.

Should be under $100 for the non-insert styles. I think without the discount the insert styles would've been $120 maybe?

I ran pedals form these guys on my Lancer for years, they barely wore at all. Good stuff.

Now I just hope my templates were correct! I'll post pics when I get them on later this week.

#34 ·
OK here's the installed pics. There's some stuff you need to know if you get these, but overall I'm pretty stoked.

1. The brake won't be able to support a 3rd bolt because of the arm behind it, no matter the two will support it just fine. It just leaves an empty hole. The clutch has the same issue, but because it's plastic you can use one of the screws in the 3rd hole instead of a bolt.

2. I put the brake and clutch slightly to the left of the pedals while still making sure the holes would hit the right spots. I didn't want the already crowded brake to start competing with the gas for space (especially with the fatter size).

3. The clutch / brake holes that need to be drilled will be a pain in the ass. The clutch is easy because it's plastic, the brake took a long time. We ended up using a clamp wrench to keep the drill bit from sliding while drilling the top left hole.

4. The dead pedal area is just foam underneath, so while the screws went into it, I question the durability of that setup. So I might take it off, put industrial velcro underneath to grab onto the carpet, then rescrew it.

Photo below: Excuse my slightly misaligned clutch/brake. I can't tell if they are actually setup like that or I tilted them by mistake. They still look ok tho!

#37 ·
You should email them, talk to Anthony and ask if getting him a template for the automatic brake pedal could lend you a discount yourself. I'm sure they need the template to make the cuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.