basic maintenance 2012 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114141
What I Drive: Focus Hatch

Points 638, Level 12
Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 burrpenick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
basic maintenance 2012 Focus

I usually do my own maintenance, but on this Focus, I've only changed the oil and filter (using FORD stuff) about every 6500 miles; have also changed the engine and cabin air filters, and lubed the hinges. Am I missing anything?

This car usually delivers 38-40mpg on Interstates, and normally doesnt drop below 32mpg in town. I checked the MPG by hand a few times and it appeared to be correct. WHAT DO THE OTHER MEMBERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT the FORD MPG readout?

FINALLY, one dual clutch AT question: Occasionally, I will get some shudder upon take off and a little on the first and maybe 2nd shift. I'll notice this for a while, and then its gone. I'm thinking the clutch disc has been tainted w/fluid, and in time, it cleans itself up. THe car was taken to the dealer around 35K to check the trans and it was reflashed. By the way, how long and how many miles did FORD extend the warranty on this transmission?

Just turned 60K and no real complaints so far. My wipers are still original and clean the glass very well, but they make a horrible low pitch scrapping noise. I've tried cleaning the blades and glass w/no effect. Did start using the washer fluid w/Rainex, not sure if its helped any, but it may have.

George in Tallahassee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
#dailydriven

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 DCT Hatchback

Points 17,774, Level 84
Points: 17,774, Level: 84 Points: 17,774, Level: 84 Points: 17,774, Level: 84
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 17 Jburks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I usually do my own maintenance, but on this Focus, I've only changed the oil and filter (using FORD stuff) about every 6500 miles; have also changed the engine and cabin air filters, and lubed the hinges. Am I missing anything?

a lot of people start to think about doing spark plugs around 60k but I dont think the manual says to do them until 100k. Also i would start occasionally checking the serpentine belt for wear and replace as needed. Trans fluid is said to be good until 100k miles i believe or something like that. Also, coolant should be replaced i thinks it 5 years or 100k miles, whatever comes first.

This car usually delivers 38-40mpg on Interstates, and normally doesnt drop below 32mpg in town. I checked the MPG by hand a few times and it appeared to be correct. WHAT DO THE OTHER MEMBERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT the FORD MPG readout?

mine is pretty accurate and not good lol. i only get like 26mpg in my car. i wish i could average 30.

FINALLY, one dual clutch AT question: Occasionally, I will get some shudder upon take off and a little on the first and maybe 2nd shift. I'll notice this for a while, and then its gone. I'm thinking the clutch disc has been tainted w/fluid, and in time, it cleans itself up. THe car was taken to the dealer around 35K to check the trans and it was reflashed. By the way, how long and how many miles did FORD extend the warranty on this transmission?

Just turned 60K and no real complaints so far. My wipers are still original and clean the glass very well, but they make a horrible low pitch scrapping noise. I've tried cleaning the blades and glass w/no effect. Did start using the washer fluid w/Rainex, not sure if its helped any, but it may have.

In my opinion, very minimal shuddering at take off and 2nd gear shift on occasion is nothing to be concerned about. i'd recommend occasionally getting on it. find a back road somewhere or take on the highway and gun it. get the RPM's up over 5k and drive it a little like that. seems to help mine whenever i notice some slight shudder. as for the wiper blades, i'd just replace them. you got 60k miles out of them which is a lot.

My Thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/382642-ruby-red-build-thread.html

Last edited by Jburks; 02-08-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 310385
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback 5 Speed

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 KawiNinjaZX Good Standing Member
At 60k miles I would do a simple drain/fill on the coolant, you can do a full flush but probably doesn't need it yet. Your brake fluid needs a full flush as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 638, Level 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
How about some other comments on MPG. My 34-40 still seems high even to me, maybe I need to check the computer figures again by hand.......unless others are getting similar results.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 87,732, Level 100
Points: 87,732, Level: 100 Points: 87,732, Level: 100 Points: 87,732, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
a lot of people start to think about doing spark plugs around 60k but I dont think the manual says to do them until 100k.
That's because if you wait until 100k, the plugs may be seized.
Elizabeth likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SEL Hatchback

Points 73, Level 1
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 1 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Changed my plugs at 77k and they all came out easily. Easiest plug job I've ever done.
Jburks likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 638, Level 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
had the gap widened much in 77K miles? Guessing you used the same plugs? Did the plastic cover come off easily- last one I removed the tabs broke?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76353
What I Drive: 12 Sonic Blue SE 5Dr

Points 700, Level 13
Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 lowflyn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
How about some other comments on MPG. My 34-40 still seems high even to me, maybe I need to check the computer figures again by hand.......unless others are getting similar results.
If you don't do alot of stop and go city driving 38-40 is normal. My car at 127k still gets 37-38 on my normal commute. In city that drops to 32-33. Hand calculated. Readout on car is dead on sometimes and 4-5 mpg off at others.

At 127k i've done 2 plug changes. Oil changes based on computer. Brakes at 120k. Trans was flushed at 70k when clutches were done. Coolant was flushed around 110k when water pump went out.

Like stated above, when dct acts up I go drive like a mad man and it's happy for a few weeks.

Sent from my XT1045 using FF Mobile
Jburks likes this.

90 Mustang LX Vert - "7up"
04 Mustang GT - Stockish
94 Mustang V6 Vert - Broke
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 638, Level 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
About how many miles did the computer let you go before saying the oil was ready to be changed? Did you have to pay for your trans rebuild? How long was the warranty extended for the 2012? Thanks, George
Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 19,979, Level 89
Points: 19,979, Level: 89 Points: 19,979, Level: 89 Points: 19,979, Level: 89
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 25 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
One often forgotten maintenance item should be flush the brake lines.
The brake fluid can get moisture in it, and gradually corrode a lot of expensive parts in the braking system. Once every three years is best. It could be stretched to once every five years ... Longer than that is asking for trouble.
A brake fluid flush should cost no more than $100 done at the dealer. and even I, an old woman have done it myself.
Instructions abound and in other threads here I have expounded on it at length..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.