Experience with newest dct clutches part b - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 322594
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL Hatch

Points 195, Level 3
Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 FocusNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Experience with newest dct clutches part b

I have the newest clutches on my 2012 for 3 months now. This is the fourth clutch by the way. So far so good. The only thing I detect is very very occasionally and only momentarily I feel through the throttle a push back against my foot when I am going 30mph. Go figure. The tech said I might feel a spring working. Do others here think that is what I am feeling? There is no shudder or jerk of the car like there was before. I don't think anyone else can notice it except me.

I have hope this might be THE fix. I have gone on the Ford Fiesta forums and transmission complaints have stopped after 2014. They have the same b clutch in their cars. I hope this clutch remains stable and does not deteriorate. I can definitely live with it the way it is now.

What are other people's experiences?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

Points 6,178, Level 51
Points: 6,178, Level: 51 Points: 6,178, Level: 51 Points: 6,178, Level: 51
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
After how many revisions they got it right?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 195, Level 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
I have wondered why it took Ford so long to get the clutches right. There must be a financial benefit to them to drag out the fixing of this problem. Taking a piecemeal approach to fixing it must be cheaper. I question whether the ill will they created makes it worth it. Getting it right the first time might be more expensive but I don't see how when you consider multiple labor charges for dropping the transmission. I know the new individual parts like seals and clutch linings are probably not that expensive. I am sure Ford has an algorithm that calculates the cost of lost dissatisfied customers but maybe they should reexamine that formula again.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 30,630, Level 100
Points: 30,630, Level: 100 Points: 30,630, Level: 100 Points: 30,630, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 128 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Great Conspiracy theory, believe in the 100 MPG carburetor that was hidden away too?

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 01-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 195, Level 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
What conspiracy theory? You prefer ineptness as the explanation? What is your explanation why Ford did not do more to fix it the first time they addressed the problem? Toyota did more by redoing several components at once when they addressed the transmission shudder in the toyota camry. It seems that fixed it. How is it conspiracy theory to hope Ford would approach problems with their product in the same way.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 1,814, Level 25
Points: 1,814, Level: 25 Points: 1,814, Level: 25 Points: 1,814, Level: 25
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Ok I have Series F....third one & a TCM---is this the fix? Anybody know for certain?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 195, Level 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Clutch F preceded the present clutch b. From my understanding they began installing clutch b in new 2016 cars in November 2015 and then several months later began installing clutch b as a replacement clutch in all cars brought in for repair beginning July 2016. Clutch F was no longer installed when they began using Clutch b.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Old Phart

Points 30,630, Level 100
Points: 30,630, Level: 100 Points: 30,630, Level: 100 Points: 30,630, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 128 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusNow View Post
What conspiracy theory? You prefer ineptness as the explanation? What is your explanation why Ford did not do more to fix it the first time they addressed the problem? Toyota did more by redoing several components at once when they addressed the transmission shudder in the toyota camry. It seems that fixed it. How is it conspiracy theory to hope Ford would approach problems with their product in the same way.
Call it inept if you want, the issue that turned up hasn't thoroughly been solved by anyone using a dry DCT despite good testing results BEFORE going to full production.

Pioneering works out that way sometimes, the CVT's in use now don't resemble the early versions in detail either.

Ford/Getrag's latest version dry DCT may be there, but the damage to the rep. is done and the decision NOT to advertise it as 'different' will haunt them.

There are other "shudder" issues with engines/transmissions that do NOT involve DCT's, both car and truck. Pushing the limits for fuel economy has it's effects in designs that don't work out as well as expected.

I doubt any thought the issue would go on so long, or that it would be appropriate to wait until 2016 to start fixing cars with what is NOW the latest revised version. Best fix at the time was the approach, better clutches were installed and the seal fix DID seem to work from the first for that part of the issues.
TooOld likes this.

S.R. #275
Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 195, Level 3
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
My personal leaning towards Ford is they know what they are doing. They are a big company with lots of resources to apply to a challenge. I do not like to think of them as inept for that reason. The engineering environment or business environment may dictate choices I am not aware of. As such it can leave a person wondering.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
Old Phart

Points 30,630, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Well, one major business/engineering decision we know they committed to is the DCT as a replacement for the older std. automatics - to cover all the small car variants.

We only see the dry clutch DCT primarily for the 2.0 N/A, there's also the wet clutch version for slightly larger/higher torque engines that hasn't had the same spate of issues.

Shared investment in new plants for production & long term contracts preclude a major step away from them quickly, so revision/repair is the strategy required barring total failure (didn't happen).

They stepped away from them with the latest std 6 spd automatic for smaller engines, there still isn't an alternative in the quiver to use as a replacement for these.

The whole Industry looked to go this way as one alternative, the competing multi speed torque converter types have had their own issues but we hear less about them as the issues aren't as odd (and no change in basic behavior).

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.